Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surgery expenses NOT COVERED by insurance

Dear Scoli Friends ~

Do you know of surgery expenses which your insurance (or/and Medicare) doesn't cover and must be paid 'out of pocket'?

For example - I understand that the ambulance to transport me from the hospital to the rehab center will not be covered. I also know there are limits on physical therapy coverage.

Any others?

Thanks,
    Ginger
    Ginger Woolley

Oct 2018, L3 - S1, Anterior & Posterior, Dr Sigurd Berven, UCSF, San Francisco
    May 2008, T4 - L3, Dr. Ohenaba Boachie, Hospital for Special Surgery, NYC
    Sept 1967, T4 - T 11, without instrumentation, Dr Thomas Brown, Stanford

I'm sorry that I can't help with this one as I am in the UK so my surgeries are covered by the NHS. Hopefully you will get a reply soon
    Juvenile Idiopathic Scoliosis diagnosed aged 6/7
    Milwaukee brace 1980 - 1984, Fused T2 - L3 with Harrington Rod 1984, 10 rib costoplasty 1999, artificial disc at L3/L4 2003, extended fusion to L5 2006.
    2015 - Sagittal plane imbalance correction by insertion of 30 degree hyperlordotic cage at L5/S1 level (anterior approach) with fixation to pelvis (posterior approach) now fused T2 to sacrum.
    2017 - October - SI joint fusion - left side
    2017 - December - Revision of failed left SI joint fusion

Comment

Ginger,
      Do you have a secondary insurance to Medicare?
      The ambulance that transported me from UCSF to ??? St. Francis for rehab was paid by Medicare.
      I cannot think of anything that wasn't covered. The rehab place gave me some aids that were covered. My secondary insurance picked up the part that Medicare only paid partially, but in general the secondary insurance does not cover anything that Medicare as primary didn't cover.
      Susan
      Best of luck with your surgery!
      Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
      2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
      2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
      2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
      2018: Removal L4,5 screw
      2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Working...
      X