No announcement yet.

Scott's Vertebral Body Tethering Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't think they would fuse a Risser zero child but I don't know that. That would guarantee crankshaft if they did.

There is hyper-correction for some and not other curve types but I have seen it criticized as grandstanding. I am not sure why it would be criticized given Boachie's comment about being one and done for T curves only if the lumbar straightens enough. And you only get massive straigthening when you hyper-correct because the curves match over time.

I have one kid who is hyper-corrected and one who isn't. I am far more worried about the one who isn't in terms of needing future surgery. I hope tethering will work for her if and when she might need it.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

• Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
      I don't think they would fuse a Risser zero child but I don't know that. That would guarantee crankshaft if they did.

There is hyper-correction for some and not other curve types but I have seen it criticized as grandstanding. I am not sure why it would be criticized given Boachie's comment about being one and done for T curves only if the lumbar straightens enough. And you only get massive straigthening when you hyper-correct because the curves match over time.

I have one kid who is hyper-corrected and one who isn't. I am far more worried about the one who isn't in terms of needing future surgery. I hope tethering will work for her if and when she might need it.
      In Scott's case with 10° progression in one month Dr. Newton said it was time for fusion or tethering. Maybe there was a 3rd surgical option, I'm not sure. But it was time for immediate surgical intervention.

Comment

• Congratulations!

How tall is Scott now and how tall are you and your wife?

How much growth is expected, and when did Dr Newton say Scott would stop growing?

Ed
        49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
        Pre surgery curves T70,L70
        ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
        Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

• Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
          Congratulations!

How tall is Scott now and how tall are you and your wife?

How much growth is expected, and when did Dr Newton say Scott would stop growing?

Ed
          Scott is a little over 5 '5".
          His older brother is 17 and 5' 9".

I'm just 5' 7.5" and his mom is 5'4".

By the look of his frame we suspect he will be as big as his brother or maybe just a little more. 5'9" or 5'10".

Dr. Newton said that Scott is a late bloomer. Most boys' spines stop growing at age 17 but his will most likely stop at age 18.

Based on everything we've been told it seems that the more he grows the greater his potential correction. But we're happy with 28°. If he remains stable at that point it will buy him all the time he needs until some incredible advancement 20, 30 or 40 years from now. We'll take it!

Comment

• Dingo, How much has Scott grown in the last 6 months? (I am assuming you have the height marks in the closet? Measure in the morning, same time)

Its going to be very interesting to see how Scott's spine shape changes over the next 2-3 years.

Originally posted by Dingo View Post
            3) Although the tethers aren't designed to last a lifetime it is unknown if some might. So far they've seen a lot of breaks in and near the lumbar area where load levels and motion are significant. However they've seen less breaks in the thoracic area where load levels and motion are reduced. Dr. Newton said it was theoretically possible that a tether segment in the thoracic area may never snap if it's not under a load. But as of now this is unknown.
            This is interesting that the tethers are mostly breaking in the lumbar, or down low. Its similar for full fusion patients with rod breaks, I don't believe we have ever seen a thoracic pseudarthrosis ever reported here or at least its not common. Also, the lumbar area gets 1st place position for herniation. 2nd place is C5-6 C6-7, so you cant assume that its weight causing this. A lot of us scoli adults in our senior years suffer with neck problems.

Mobility seems to play a strong part in degeneration of the lumbar spine. (adult scoliosis spine) Maybe mobility is the wrong word, perhaps its the extreme positional limit of the joint or joints that causes all the damage. (tether breaks, pseudarthrosis and rod breaks, and herniated discs)

Ed

My x-rays

Comment

• The lack of evidence for tether breakage in the thorax is totally in keeping with people not moving much through that area. This is why my daughter was not aware of a loss of ROM after she was fused T4-L1. She has normal movement in her lumbar as far as I can tell. It is only the side-to-side bending through the thorax that has decreased by about half.

I don't remember asking her to bend forward just from above the waist and round her shoulders to test ROM in that plane because that is just bad posture and nobody should be doing that ever. It is a good thing if she is limited on how bad her posture can get in that sense. This is why I think people fused through the thorax have an advantage in sports requiring exacting, correct posture like dressage. I would be much further along in this sport if I was internally prevented from having bad posture.
              Last edited by Pooka1; 03-02-2019, 03:55 PM.
              Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
              Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

• Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
                Dingo, How much has Scott grown in the last 6 months? (I am assuming you have the height marks in the closet? Measure in the morning, same time)

Its going to be very interesting to see how Scott's spine shape changes over the next 2-3 years.

This is interesting that the tethers are mostly breaking in the lumbar, or down low. Its similar for full fusion patients with rod breaks, I don't believe we have ever seen a thoracic pseudarthrosis ever reported here or at least its not common. Also, the lumbar area gets 1st place position for herniation. 2nd place is C5-6 C6-7, so you cant assume that its weight causing this. A lot of us scoli adults in our senior years suffer with neck problems.

Mobility seems to play a strong part in degeneration of the lumbar spine. (adult scoliosis spine) Maybe mobility is the wrong word, perhaps its the extreme positional limit of the joint or joints that causes all the damage. (tether breaks, pseudarthrosis and rod breaks, and herniated discs)

Ed
                Ya know at first we started measuring him against the wall and then we got busy and stopped doing it. I'm almost ashamed to say I'm not sure how much he grew over the last 6 months, haha.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dingo View Post
                  Ya know at first we started measuring him against the wall and then we got busy and stopped doing it. I'm almost ashamed to say I'm not sure how much he grew over the last 6 months, haha.
                  Oh man! Your killing me! (smiley face)

Things are going to be great with Scott....really looking forward to this.

This waiting for long term results in scoliosis or even in the whole medical realm is difficult when you wait yourself....I have been waiting a long time, you see, and running out of time.

Its like launching a probe to Pluto, and waiting years to see what happens.

Ed

My x-rays

Comment

Working...