Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions to ask -1st consultation???

Dear Scolis,

I'm going to choose between two surgeons - Dr. Hu and Dr. Berven - and have appointments with both. Many of you have gone through initial consultations and went their with a list in hand. I'd LOVE to know the questions you asked.

FYI - I've had upper levels fused before, BUT this is my first time (and hopefully ONLY) time to do the lower levels of my spine. So, I'm posting on both surgical boards, not knowing where I belong ... especially since this won't be a revision.

Thanks for ANY responses.

Ginger
    Last edited by Ginger W.; 06-24-2018, 05:14 PM.
    Ginger Woolley

Oct 2018, L3 - S1, Anterior & Posterior, Dr Sigurd Berven, UCSF, San Francisco
    May 2008, T4 - L3, Dr. Ohenaba Boachie, Hospital for Special Surgery, NYC
    Sept 1967, T4 - T 11, without instrumentation, Dr Thomas Brown, Stanford

Hi Ginger...

Having worked with spine surgeons for many years, and witnessed countless appointments, I cannot stress strongly enough that I feel you shouldn't go into an initial appointment with a long list of prepared questions. What's important to one person may have absolutely no bearing for yourself. What happens when a patient has a long list of questions, is that the important issues don't get discussed adequately, or get missed entirely, and the appointment quickly goes off the rails. My recommendation, instead, is to go in with an open mind. The doctors will guide you through what's important to you. Any questions you have will come organically and you'll remember far more. Once you've had a chance to digest the information from your appointments, you can typically ask questions at a subsequent appointment or via an electronic message.

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Brilliant. Makes total sense.
      Ginger Woolley

Oct 2018, L3 - S1, Anterior & Posterior, Dr Sigurd Berven, UCSF, San Francisco
      May 2008, T4 - L3, Dr. Ohenaba Boachie, Hospital for Special Surgery, NYC
      Sept 1967, T4 - T 11, without instrumentation, Dr Thomas Brown, Stanford

Comment

Working...
      X