Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

10 years post op, could I have damaged anchor in pelvis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10 years post op, could I have damaged anchor in pelvis?

I am 10 yrs post op, long fusion with 34 screws and anchors in pelvis. I recently lifted heavy luggage and am having hip pain. When I cought, I feel a sharp pain below the left pelvic anchor. Could I have damaged something?
    Jan Lotherington,
    56* thoracic curve, 50* lumbar curve
    A/P fusion T3-Sacrum, Dec 11&13 2007
    at age 55
    Dr Bridwell

Jan, Congratulations on 10 years.....I was done right after you.

I am having trouble remembering"any" full fusion people (fused to pelvis) that have broken their rods. That also goes for broken pelvic screws. (fused to pelvis)

Notice I typed (Fused to pelvis) multiple times....There are not too many of us out there....

If I have any lower soft tissue spine pains, (which is rare) I go into a deep hibernation (serious bed rest) right away....

Lets hope this passes quickly.

Let us know how this all turns out

Ed
    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
      Jan, Congratulations on 10 years.....I was done right after you.

I am having trouble remembering"any" full fusion people (fused to pelvis) that have broken their rods. That also goes for broken pelvic screws. (fused to pelvis)

Notice I typed (Fused to pelvis) multiple times....There are not too many of us out there....

If I have any lower soft tissue spine pains, (which is rare) I go into a deep hibernation (serious bed rest) right away....

Lets hope this passes quickly.

Let us know how this all turns out

Ed
      Not too many? I feel like there are way too many. :-) (Although, as you know, we're not really fused to the pelvis. We're fused to the sacrum, with screws (but not typically fusion) to the pelvis.

With that said, I bet that Jan's problem is a soft tissue injury. Jan, you should make an appointment with your surgeon. If the pain resolves before your appointment, you can always cancel.

--Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Linda, I guess the pelvic screws really have caught on!....(at least in adults over 50) Its good to see this progress....

There is quite a bit more info on this subject matter now! 10 years has passed....There are You Tube videos (some graphic) that help explain. Some of the different sacral and pelvic screws and their different entry points make it hard to digest since the anatomy is involved. Some of the screws run tangent and some seem to cross the SI joints. I also found articles about double rods, and double iliac wing screws on each side. For those interested, The Seattle Science Foundation has a good selection, Use Search.
        https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChI...F9aQYvpWGe1DPg

There are arthritic changes in the SI joints as we age.....They only move 1-2 degrees, so minimal movement, but I guess they can be painful since SI joint fusion surgeries are offered in full fusion pelvic anchor patients. Spinals in England is an example. I don't know of any others.

Its good to see your surgeon or doctor but these days its hard to get in, and its so expensive.....I like to sleep things off first for a few days just to see if we actually do heal, and many of the times we do. Getting an appointment for x-rays and possible NSAID's for pain is always a good thing. If things get too expensive, I will have to start doing Mexican drug runs to Algodones for Diclofenaco. No, not weed, I can drive a block for that now if I want in my state. (smiley face)

It seems that just about every (adult over 50) revision testimonial involves lifting and bending.....resulting in popping and pain. The lifting and the bending is not worth it. Better to summon someone young for these kinds of things. Its a whole lot easier.

Ed
        49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
        Pre surgery curves T70,L70
        ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
        Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
          Linda, I guess the pelvic screws really have caught on!....(at least in adults over 50) Its good to see this progress....

There is quite a bit more info on this subject matter now! 10 years has passed....There are You Tube videos (some graphic) that help explain. Some of the different sacral and pelvic screws and their different entry points make it hard to digest since the anatomy is involved. Some of the screws run tangent and some seem to cross the SI joints. I also found articles about double rods, and double iliac wing screws on each side. For those interested, The Seattle Science Foundation has a good selection, Use Search.
          https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChI...F9aQYvpWGe1DPg

There are arthritic changes in the SI joints as we age.....They only move 1-2 degrees, so minimal movement, but I guess they can be painful since SI joint fusion surgeries are offered in full fusion pelvic anchor patients. Spinals in England is an example. I don't know of any others.

Its good to see your surgeon or doctor but these days its hard to get in, and its so expensive.....I like to sleep things off first for a few days just to see if we actually do heal, and many of the times we do. Getting an appointment for x-rays and possible NSAID's for pain is always a good thing. If things get too expensive, I will have to start doing Mexican drug runs to Algodones for Diclofenaco. No, not weed, I can drive a block for that now if I want in my state. (smiley face)

It seems that just about every (adult over 50) revision testimonial involves lifting and bending.....resulting in popping and pain. The lifting and the bending is not worth it. Better to summon someone young for these kinds of things. Its a whole lot easier.

Ed
          Ed...

Just to be clear, regardless of how screws are placed, there is no fusion unless the S-I joints are specifically fused. (I've never seen that done as part of a long fusion, though I know it's possible.)

Also, it's relatively rare that I see any older adults fused to the lower lumbar area without fusion to the sacrum with pelvic fixation. I think they've discovered that the odds of needing an extension of the fusion if you are fused to L4 or L5, are pretty high.

--Linda
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

I’d hope you would weigh in Linda Racine; I remember you from my more active forum days, the voice of knowledge and reason.

I did wonder if I should do a 10 yr check up prior to this little wrinkle. I have been doing fine and thought the follow up may help Dr Bridwell in his research in tracking patients. It will likely be a couple of months before I can get in anyway.
            Jan Lotherington,
            at age 55
            Dr Bridwell

Comment

Originally posted by JanL View Post
              I’d hope you would weigh in Linda Racine; I remember you from my more active forum days, the voice of knowledge and reason.

I did wonder if I should do a 10 yr check up prior to this little wrinkle. I have been doing fine and thought the follow up may help Dr Bridwell in his research in tracking patients. It will likely be a couple of months before I can get in anyway.
              Hi Jan...

Thanks. I remembered you when I saw your post earlier in the week. I always like when people check back in, though it would be so much better if you were checking in to say everything is great.

I could be wrong, but I think Dr. Bridwell may have stopped operating. I do think it's a good idea to check back in with him, especially since you're almost certainly enrolled in one or more studies, and 10 year follow-up is pretty important to the community.

Hope you'll let us know how things turn out.

--Linda

Comment

Linda,

No pain today! Hopefully, it’s behind me—-pun intended!

Will check in with Dr Bridwell’s Office anyway about 10 yr check up.

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
                Hi Jan...

Thanks. I remembered you when I saw your post earlier in the week. I always like when people check back in, though it would be so much better if you were checking in to say everything is great.

I could be wrong, but I think Dr. Bridwell may have stopped operating. I do think it's a good idea to check back in with him, especially since you're almost certainly enrolled in one or more studies, and 10 year follow-up is pretty important to the community.

Hope you'll let us know how things turn out.

--Linda
                Jan Lotherington,
                at age 55
                Dr Bridwell

Comment

Originally posted by JanL View Post
                  Linda,

No pain today! Hopefully, it’s behind me—-pun intended!

Will check in with Dr Bridwell’s Office anyway about 10 yr check up.
                  Excellent news!

Comment

Working...
                  X