Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i finally got the date

Hi im paige and have had scoliosis 4 a long time [8 months]
    i just got a portfolio in the mail with all the dates and imfo about scoliosis. MY first appoitment is on the 6 of January [all the bloodwork and i have to watch some vidio about what happens durind surgery then my final appoitment b4 surgery is 21 of janury and my surgery is on january 22!!im really nervus and would love to talk to someone that has gone though the surgery
    who ever wants to email me can at lassygal1@yahoo.com i hope to hear from everyone so send me a email with your experience.
    luve allways,
    *Paige*
    __-------______--------______-------__
    12years old had postier fusion Jan.22,o4!!

Hey Paige!

I'm so glad you have a surgery date. Now you can concentrate on that date and stay healthy and learn as much as you can about it. I hope you ask lots of questions. There are lots of things that take place before, during and after the surgery. Each experience is very different, so remember that. Remember that what one person experiences doesn't mean you have to have that experience - both good and bad.

Some questions I would ask your surgeon include "what options do I have for pain control after the surgery?" Make sure you and your mom know what the plan it. That way she can make sure the nurses stay on schedule with the plan. It is MUCH easier to keep your pain under control when the meds are given at the right time. If you wait until you hurt too bad, then it is harder and longer to get the pain under control again.

Ask the doc if you will need a brace for your recovery - some docs have their patients in braces, others don't.

Ask them (probably a nurse or assistant, cuz many times the surgeons don't pay attention to the details) what kind of clothing, including slippers you need to bring. Having slippers with rubber bottoms so you don't slip is good. Walking in just stockings/socks is bad! You don't want to risk falling or twisting your back with unsteady feet.

There are lots of things... let us know if you have any questions that we can help you with. Write your questions down - it is easy to forget things when you see the doc. Your visit can be rushed and you may forget something very important.

Oh, have your mom bring a notepad - she will want to write down your medication schedule and any details that may be important. It doesn't have to be fancy, and she doesn't even have to write in full sentences, but it is very helpful now and later down the road to know all the details about the surgery, and about the medication schedule.

Make sure you tell them your medical history - if you've had any medical issues at all.

Enough rambling from me. I wish you the best! Keep us posted on your progress. Have a Happy Holiday Season!
    Carmell
    mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

Working...
    X