R L5 screw pressing on nerve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R L5 screw pressing on nerve

She's b-a-c-k! I have surgery scheduled on Feb 27th with Dr. Bob Hart at Swedish Hospital in Seattle. My R leg burning pain started over a year ago. Initially, I thought that I had a sunburn on my leg. Then my R foot and lateral thigh started to burn. I use lidocaine 5% patches on burning areas. I saw my Physiatrist who ordered a lumbar CT and an anesthetic/steroid inj along the R L5. Instant temporary pain relief. Repeat inj 4 months later also temporarily relieved the burning pain. The burning pain follows the L5 dermatome.
    Dr. Hart said that it would be a one hour surgery and that I would be in the hospital for a couple of days. My R foot is numb by the end of the day, so I hope that symptom goes away with surgery.
    Susan
    As an update, I use crutches for shorter distances and a wheelchair for longer distances.
    Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
    2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
    2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
    2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
    2018: Removal L4,5 screw
    2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Originally posted by susancook View Post
    She's b-a-c-k!
    I hate it when you come back this way Susan. The good news is that its one screw.

Pretty soon you can ditch the crutches and the wheelchair when we get our personal drones....

We can fly back home after our surgeries....

Ed
    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
      I hate it when you come back this way Susan. The good news is that its one screw.

Pretty soon you can ditch the crutches and the wheelchair when we get our personal drones....

We can fly back home after our surgeries....

Ed
      You are so-o-o funny Ed! What's one L5 screw among friends? I have worked hard to progress from total paraplegic to walking partial para. I am excited at the possibility that I might decrease my R leg pain, but nervous about the possibility of a bad outcome.
      Susan
      Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection

Comment

I have worked hard to progress from total paraplegic to walking partial para.
        Susan, I was wondering about this, and I didn't want to ask, but knew. Your situation is something that every scoliosis patient thinks about at some point or another....I can imagine your strength in having to deal with all of this. Many people have no idea what it takes mentally to forge paths of this magnitude.....its commendable.

I think things will be ok.....you have been through the ringer with major major spine surgeries, this one will be an easy one.

If you feel up to it, ask Dr Hart about "cortical screws or cortical trajectory".....(vs pedicle screws). I was reading about this a few months ago, its an option in the osteoporotic spine. They drive these screws in from a different point, and they don't cross them in a triangle shape. It offers hope for scolis with osteoporotic bone..... I wanted to mention this someplace since people do get rejected for surgery due to osteoporosis.

Check out the Medicare financials near the end....OMG! Shots and Chiro are expensive......don't let the Donald find out about this, he will flip out. (smiley face)

Management of Degenerative Adult Scoliosis and the Osteoporotic Spine.... Dr Sansur
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b34A_E_CgX4

Ed
        Last edited by titaniumed; 01-22-2018, 08:11 PM.

My x-rays

Comment

Hi Susan,
          Sorry to hear of yet another problem and the pain that you’re having!! I can understand why you’re a little apprehensive about yet another surgery, even though it’s only an hour long. I’m sure all will be fine. I was glad to hear you’ve come so far with your paralysis. You are an amazing lady!! Keep us posted and know I’m thinking of you!! Warmly, Linda
          Linda Brozik~~60 yrs. old at time of Lenke's first surgery. 62 now!
          Surgery 2006 L3/4 L4/5 double fusion/ instumentation/ With 2 cages
          This started adult onset scoliosis
          July 1st, 2010/ surgery ~~fused T10 to pelvis (long rods/ screws)
          Oct.20th 2010, extended rods to T4 / did osteotomy at L3
          Oct. 29th 2012 Dr. Lenke St. Louis Mo. T4 to sacrum osteotomy anterior cage L3/4 titanium rods
          May 30th 2013 revision
          May 8th cervicle surgery 2016
          May 31st Dr. Gupta revision 2017

Comment

Thanks Linda and Ed for your comments. Revision surgery is a slippery slope. The more surgery that you have, the more adhesions or nerve damage are possibilities. Also, the degeneration in my thoracic and lumbar vertebrae are now affecting my cervical vertebrae. Yikes! I am hoping that I can continue without more surgery. I had numerous cervical injections with Xylocaine and steroid and have a medial branch block scheduled. I have a great physiatrist who can see the relationship of bone, nerves, and muscles and has ideas on what might help. The last 2 physiatrists that I went to basically said, "Live with it, we don't know what is causing your problem".
            I am the poster woman for post-op problems: total ventral/incisional hernia, spinal cord injury, instrumentation infection, and pulmonary embolism. Since I broke 4 rods, my surgeon rigged 5 rods that support each other.
            Despite all that has happened and my subsequent disability ( I use crutches and a wheelchair) I am happy that I have a great spine surgeon who has "put Susan back together again".
            Life is a balancing of risk and benefit. I am in a better place than I was before my first surgery.
            Susan

Comment

Life is a balancing of risk and benefit. I am in a better place than I was before my first surgery.
              Susan
              Yeah, me three

Its my 10 year anniversary today.....(for my ALIF)

and I don't have much to say because I am hammered from the flu virus. It's all over the US except for Hawaii....I cant wait till this passes....

Ed

My x-rays

Comment

Happy 10 year ALIF anniversary!!

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
                Yeah, me three

Its my 10 year anniversary today.....(for my ALIF)

and I don't have much to say because I am hammered from the flu virus. It's all over the US except for Hawaii....I cant wait till this passes....

Ed
                Juvenile Idiopathic Scoliosis diagnosed aged 6/7
                Milwaukee brace 1980 - 1984, Fused T2 - L3 with Harrington Rod 1984, 10 rib costoplasty 1999, artificial disc at L3/L4 2003, extended fusion to L5 2006.
                2015 - Sagittal plane imbalance correction by insertion of 30 degree hyperlordotic cage at L5/S1 level (anterior approach) with fixation to pelvis (posterior approach) now fused T2 to sacrum.
                2017 - October - SI joint fusion - left side
                2017 - December - Revision of failed left SI joint fusion

Comment

Originally posted by Spinals View Post
                  Happy 10 year ALIF anniversary!!
                  Thanks Spinals, today is my 10 yr posterior anniversary! My rusty old bolts are 10 today.....Just kidding on the rusty, crusty is probably a better word....Ahhh....you gotta have some fun with it all....

It had to happen.....and I too, am in a better place.

I do write many posts that don't make it on here because I change my mind. I do believe that the neck is tied in on the whole package, and it does not have to have scoliosis or any abnormal curvature to be affected. I don't know if one can call it adjacent level disease, but it is affected. It makes me wonder if adjacent level disease is not just about the immediate level above or below a fusion mass. It seems to affect many levels above and below. The whole spine is a package deal top top to bottom. Once you are operated on, there is that chance that other levels can be affected in one way or another at some point in time.....The spine arena is just too complicated. It's something that we need to understand.

Linda (Babyboomer16) had a incredible stacked cervical fusion done a while back. I believe from C2 Down.....I was saying "wow" for days after that one. For the neck, I cant imagine what that must have felt like.

We all wonder about everyone else's surgeries.....I guess, its a form of solace for us because most of us do have improvement. The older or elder scoliosis testimonials will have more validity since they have experienced a vast amount of ever changing pains and feelings which chalks up to experience. These little tidbits become highly valuable to other scoliosis patients....

Its a shame that the SSO British forum went down... there was a whole host of valuable threads and posts written by many experienced members. I really miss it....and we used to have so much fun! Mark, where are you? miss your posts, hope things are well....

Ed

My x-rays

Comment

Congratulations on the 10 year mark, Ed! A long road.

One-of-Two will be at the 10 year mark also in March. It seems like a lifetime ago. Two-of-Two will reach 10 years in October of 2019. This surgery let them continue their life. Without it, they would be dead or unable to get around.

I agree the long-term testimonials are so valuable. I am so glad you and others stick around here. :-)
                    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Ed

You are certainly right about the knock on effect to the neck. After my gradual fusion to sacrum then more recently my left SI joint I am also feeling it in my neck!

Btw, my Harrington rod must be very rusty/crusty after 33 years!!!!
                      Juvenile Idiopathic Scoliosis diagnosed aged 6/7
                      Milwaukee brace 1980 - 1984, Fused T2 - L3 with Harrington Rod 1984, 10 rib costoplasty 1999, artificial disc at L3/L4 2003, extended fusion to L5 2006.
                      2015 - Sagittal plane imbalance correction by insertion of 30 degree hyperlordotic cage at L5/S1 level (anterior approach) with fixation to pelvis (posterior approach) now fused T2 to sacrum.
                      2017 - October - SI joint fusion - left side
                      2017 - December - Revision of failed left SI joint fusion

Comment

Sharon, I remember One of Two was right after me, and Two of Two was a year or Two later. If they are together, would that make them Two by Two?.....(Edith Bunker stare, with one eye slightly crossed) Good thing you didn't have triplets, that could get complicated.....Ha ha

Spinals, 34 years is a long time.....Back in 1984, my body was hard from all the physical activities, mainly skiing. My 20's were a period where I ignored my scoliosis because I was having too much fun. Those were the days! But I did start seeing a Chiropractor beginning in 1986 so I guess I was having some pain. The CD system was just introduced back then in the US, in February of 1986 if my memory is correct, the first use of pedicle screws in the US. New technology can be a scary thing.....

Surface engineering in metals is an incredibly deep subject matter. Sometimes I have to use microscopes to inspect and see all sorts of things depending on various processes.... Use it in the human body and it changes all the parameters, some unknown. Biofilm's form quickly on our hardware after our surgeries and it affects surrounding soft tissues. The people in the hardware industry are constantly innovating with new coatings and such....Rusty, crusty is probably not too far off, I'm sure that would get a knowing chuckle out of people that work in that field.

But where would be without our hardware?.....All systems have served their purpose in their own archaic way. In 50 to 100 years, they will be talking about us. "Can you imagine what these poor people went through with the extreme surgeries?" Screws, rods, cords, plates, plastic's.... Our innovators need to think decades ahead, and think outside the box.

The answers are there for the taking....The challenge is finding those answers.

Ed

My x-rays

Comment

Surgery this morninh

Back to the original topic of this thread, I had my R L4,5 screws removed this morning uneventfully. I am laying on my side in the hospital bed and can barely see this screen on my cell phone, so will post more tomorrow.

Comment

Dr. Hart only removed my L5 screw. So far I have not had any discomfort in my R leg. Here's hoping that it lasts. Will be in Swedish Hospital until tomorrow when they will pull the drain and I can dope up before my 3+ hour ride home. Pain is phenomenally better than any of my previous surgeries.
                            Susan,

Comment

Susan, This is good news.

I knew right away after I stood up that things were good. (Like an on off pain switch)

Did you get to keep your screw? You can use it for jewelry or hang from the Christmas tree....He he

Ed

My x-rays

Comment

Working...
                              X