Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: R L5 screw pressing on nerve

Quote Originally Posted by titaniumed View Post
    Susan, This is good news.

I knew right away after I stood up that things were good. (Like an on off pain switch)

Did you get to keep your screw? You can use it for jewelry or hang from the Christmas tree....He he

Ed
    No, but I have enough hardware for a windchime. Thanks for your thoughtfulness in responding. Here's hoping that the benefit is long term.

I will have a second cervical MBB in about a month. Dr. Hart said to wait a month for any back procedure. Am planning on doing just conservative medical treatments for my collapsing cervical vertebrae.

Susan
    Adult Onset Degenerative Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Severe disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
    2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal Spinal Cord Injury T4,5 sec to PJK
    2015: Revision Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
    2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
    2018: Removal L4,5 screw

Glad to hear everything went well for you Susan. 3 hr ride home is not much fun, I know all about it.
    Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Marianne
    Marianne
    rotoscoliosis, subluxation and spinal stenosis
    Surgery April 15, 2015 at age 67
    T11-L5
    Decompression with multiple discectomies
    Concord cages @ L2-3, L3-4, L4-5
    Osteotomies and local bone grafting
    Revision Feb.22, 2018
    Replaced rods
    Took out L5 disk to free up nerves
    Used BPM to help with fusing
    Fused to S1 with screws in pelvis

Quote Originally Posted by susancook View Post
    Dr. Hart only removed my L5 screw. So far I have not had any discomfort in my R leg. Here's hoping that it lasts. Will be in Swedish Hospital until tomorrow when they will pull the drain and I can dope up before my 3+ hour ride home. Pain is phenomenally better than any of my previous surgeries.
    Susan,
    Hi, Susan.

I'm so glad that your major pain went away almost immediately. Let's hope that it stays that way for you! I live 5 hours from my surgeon, the rides home can be brutal. We drive a vehicle where we can make me a bed in the back. It was a bit tricky getting in and out though..... being short was an advantage :-)

Hang in there!

Kathy
    Decompression surgery L4/L5
    April 3, 2015
    Twin Cities Spine Center - Dr. Joseph Perra
    Fused from T11 - Sacrum anterior/posterior
    June 24, 2016 - 55 years old at surgery
    Twin Cities Spine Center - Dr. Joseph Perra
    Before Surgery: 42 degrees lumbar, 28 degrees thoracic
    After Surgery: 10 degrees lumbar, ?? Thoracic
    2 inches taller

Quote Originally Posted by KathyInIowa View Post
    Hi, Susan.

I'm so glad that your major pain went away almost immediately. Let's hope that it stays that way for you! I live 5 hours from my surgeon, the rides home can be brutal. We drive a vehicle where we can make me a bed in the back. It was a bit tricky getting in and out though..... being short was an advantage :-)

Hang in there!

Kathy
    Kathy, after my first surgery at UCSF, we bought a foam mattress for the car. The hospital is 12 hours from our home in Oregon, so I stayed at my son's home 30 minutes away in Oakland for 6 weeks and then took 2 days to drive home. The mattress in the back sounded like a great idea until, like you said, getting into the back to lay down on the mattress was a challenge. The best summary of the experience was...."it wasn't pretty".

Susan
    Adult Onset Degenerative Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Severe disc degen T & L stenosis

2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal Spinal Cord Injury T4,5 sec to PJK
    2015: Revision Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection

Some of my preop burning discomfort has returned, but not to the preop degree. I took Hydrocodone for 3 days in the hospital and 2 days after discharge and have been fine since then. For some reason, the spine fellow closed the incision with staples which are very painful to lay on. Yikes! Not a happy camper!
    Susan