BLTs and Rod Breakage Questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BLTs and Rod Breakage Questions...

Hi all! I知 5.5 months post op (t3-sacrum) and I feel great! I知 very happy with the outcome. I知 doing a lot more now so I am beginning to worry that I might damage something (always a new worry!) Anyway, when they say no BLTs, how long is that for? It doesn稚 mean forever, right?

Also, is there any risk of breaking a rod after the bone completely fuses? I was under the impression that once the bone was fused there is no way for the spine to bend, so therefore also no way for a rod to break. Is that correct?

Thanks for any info!

Originally posted by ripley View Post
    Hi all! I知 5.5 months post op (t3-sacrum) and I feel great! I知 very happy with the outcome. I知 doing a lot more now so I am beginning to worry that I might damage something (always a new worry!) Anyway, when they say no BLTs, how long is that for? It doesn稚 mean forever, right?

Also, is there any risk of breaking a rod after the bone completely fuses? I was under the impression that once the bone was fused there is no way for the spine to bend, so therefore also no way for a rod to break. Is that correct?

Thanks for any info!
    Hi...

You should ask your surgeon's office about when they typically lift restrictions. My surgeon lifts restrictions at 3 months.

There is always a risk of breaking a rod. And, there are actually people walking around with broken rods for years. Typically, rods break because there is a level (or levels) that didn't completely fused. While it's one of the more common complications, it's still relatively rare.

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Ripley, nice to hear your doing well!

My surgeon released me late at around 6 months. He kept telling me that I was fused but was still walking on eggshells since my shoulder and arm were broken. This happened from a ski crash right before I went in. It was at this time that we scheduled the shoulder surgery. After the shoulder surgery was when I did a shoulder PT program which not only helped the shoulder but was incredibly helpful with the spine. Arm bikes are great for toughening up the soft tissues in the thoracic mid spine. I didn't use any resistance, and simply pedaled with my arms forward and backward. You don't need the machine, you can do this yourself by emulating the pedaling motion 12" circles.

This was also the time I started with a wooden stool 23" tall. I would set one foot up there and lean forward slightly. These hanging stretches were for reaching my shoelaces so I could tie my shoes. After all the walking, this was the next thing that I worked on. This was a slow process, never pulling down since its scary. It was the first time I started bending. After a few weeks of hanging my arms, left and right side, I could reach my shoe laces. Woo Hoo! I would stretch both side's for around a minute each side, every hour.

It would seem that rods couldn't break if we are fused.....many of the rod break testimonials here are from people reaching into lower kitchen cabinets. Don't do it! They always seem to break down low in the lumbar.

Are you getting down on hands and knees now?

Hang in there.....things keep getting better for years after full fusion surgery.

Ed
      49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
      Pre surgery curves T70,L70
      ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
      Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Working...