Results 1 to 15 of 17

Thread: More surgery ?? Surgeon recommendation ??

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    15

    More surgery ?? Surgeon recommendation ??

    I am 56 year old female . I need advice . I wore Milwaukee brace 13-15 y/o had surgery at 17 Harrington rod T2-T12 . I was relatively pain free and active for years . I started having increased pain in 2010 and had L-4 L5 fused with spacer and hardware.My scoliosis is thoracic curve 11 and lumbar 12 . I have been in pain ever since . I now have spinal stenosis and Degenerative disc disease above and below lastest fusion . Dr.s say I need to extend original fusion from T12-S1 . I have consulted with Dr Sean McCance in NYC . Does anyone have any experiences with this surgeon ? Can anyone recommend any surgeons in NY / Long Island . Thanks I'm so stressed

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    reno,nevada
    Posts
    3,640
    Lisa, His stats look really good.....SRS fellow and trained at TCSC.....I take it you just started talking to him? I ask because some of us will ponder for long periods of time through many meetings with our surgeons. How many adult Harrington re-builds has he done? Does he have any revision patients that he has done that you can talk to locally?

    Deep breathing always helps for de-stressing.

    Fusion to the pelvis is adaptable..... I don't even think about it anymore. In elder scoliosis patients, I don't think this should be something to worry about, but I mention it since its your first post.

    Welcome to the forum! Ask any questions you want.

    Ed
    49 yr old male, now 59, the new 55...
    Pre surgery curves C12,T70,L70
    ALIF/PLIF T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

    Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

    My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    15

    Extending my fusion

    Quote Originally Posted by titaniumed View Post
    Lisa, His stats look really good.....SRS fellow and trained at TCSC.....I take it you just started talking to him? I ask because some of us will ponder for long periods of time through many meetings with our surgeons. How many adult Harrington re-builds has he done? Does he have any revision patients that he has done that you can talk to locally?

    Deep breathing always helps for de-stressing.

    Fusion to the pelvis is adaptable..... I don't even think about it anymore. In elder scoliosis patients, I don't think this should be something to worry about, but I mention it since its your first post.

    Welcome to the forum! Ask any questions you want.

    Ed
    I don't know how to make my final choice of surgeon ! I had a consult with Dr McCance he was very thorough and answered all my questions . I'm hesitant because I don't want a cat scan myelogram ! This is his diagnostic test and also I would feel better knowing someone that had surgery by him

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    reno,nevada
    Posts
    3,640
    Quote Originally Posted by LisalisaB2017 View Post
    I'm hesitant because I don't want a cat scan myelogram !
    I see....why?

    There is a possibility that they might want to do a CT reconstruction in which the data would be used for 3D printing a model of your spine....These new tools are invaluable for surgeons. Things have progressed quickly in this area and I am not quite sure "if" they are using these systems now. In NYC, I would say yes.

    Best to ask questions through e-mail. E-mail your surgeons nurse or assistant or PA. Not too many questions at a time, just a few. Call the office and ask, they will gladly do this.

    Nobody can choose your surgeon for you. No-one can know who is going to have the best result since we are all different, and because there are things that happen that are beyond even the best surgeons control....Infection, Non-Union, Lingering pain, Blindness, etc.

    You will need serious surgery..... The surgeons that you have seen wouldn't offer something of this caliber if they were not trained. Mention full fusion reconstructive scoliosis surgery to any non-trained doctor and they will lower eye contact, sigh, and bend in the knees.....You will have to trust your surgeon and surgeons, and the team. They do use teams that are trained to the hilt. If you need this done, you have to let go and trust that things will be ok. Usually, if a complication occurs, patients get repaired and beyond.


    Ed
    49 yr old male, now 59, the new 55...
    Pre surgery curves C12,T70,L70
    ALIF/PLIF T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

    Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

    My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    4

    Hss

    Lisa,
    My surgery was done by Frank Schwab at HSS. My insurance was out of network and they navigated the insurance maze for me. His staff was easy to reach and very responsive to questions. They will charge for an initial visit and consultation, but I don't think that is unreasonable. I dont know if his office billings are different from the other doctors there, but I am pleased with my surgical results and would recommend Dr. Schwab.
    Marlene

    T4 to Sacrum; 70 degree lumbar corrected to less than 20 degrees.
    5/7/2016; Dr. Schwab, Hospital for Special Surgery.
    61 at the time.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    15

    Surgeon

    Quote Originally Posted by Mlindhardt View Post
    Lisa,
    My surgery was done by Frank Schwab at HSS. My insurance was out of network and they navigated the insurance maze for me. His staff was easy to reach and very responsive to questions. They will charge for an initial visit and consultation, but I don't think that is unreasonable. I dont know if his office billings are different from the other doctors there, but I am pleased with my surgical results and would recommend Dr. Schwab.
    Hi thank you so much for the information ! I will call today

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    6,857
    Quote Originally Posted by LisalisaB2017 View Post
    I am 56 year old female . I need advice . I wore Milwaukee brace 13-15 y/o had surgery at 17 Harrington rod T2-T12 . I was relatively pain free and active for years . I started having increased pain in 2010 and had L-4 L5 fused with spacer and hardware.My scoliosis is thoracic curve 11 and lumbar 12 . I have been in pain ever since . I now have spinal stenosis and Degenerative disc disease above and below lastest fusion . Dr.s say I need to extend original fusion from T12-S1 . I have consulted with Dr Sean McCance in NYC . Does anyone have any experiences with this surgeon ? Can anyone recommend any surgeons in NY / Long Island . Thanks I'm so stressed
    Hi Lisalisa...

    There are a lot of good surgeons in New York. The one we hear most about is Larry Lenke.

    http://spinal-deformity-surgeon.com/

    Best of luck with your journey.

    --Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    24
    Hi Lisa, i'm searching right now too. I saw Dr Lenke 2 weeks ago. I liked him and his background but his suggestion was very aggressive, a total spine reconstruction for me. He said i could get a lesser surgery but he wouldn't do it, he would refer me to one of his colleagues. I've been wanting to call Hospital for Special Surgeries and keep missing them. I have a note to call on Tuesday. Dr Cunningham and Dr Kim there seem to be the go to doctors. I had met with Dr Boachie there 7 years ago and i think between NY Presbyterian and HSS, they are among the best. Please feel free to email me nehrlich2@gmail if you would like to chat more. I'm really struggling with all of it, the discomfort, pain and the general uncertainty of what to do.
    Hugs - Nancy
    Fused T3 to L4 1978 with Harrington rod
    Surgery Oct 21, 2011 fused L3-S1 posterior
    Dr Antonacci, Princeton, NJ

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    15

    Surgeon

    Quote Originally Posted by LindaRacine View Post
    Hi Lisalisa...

    There are a lot of good surgeons in New York. The one we hear most about is Larry Lenke.

    http://spinal-deformity-surgeon.com/

    Best of luck with your journey.

    --Linda
    Dr Lenke doesn't accept my insurance 😩 , none of the Dr at HSS do either

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    7

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by LisalisaB2017 View Post
    I am 56 year old female . I need advice . I wore Milwaukee brace 13-15 y/o had surgery at 17 Harrington rod T2-T12 . I was relatively pain free and active for years . I started having increased pain in 2010 and had L-4 L5 fused with spacer and hardware.My scoliosis is thoracic curve 11 and lumbar 12 . I have been in pain ever since . I now have spinal stenosis and Degenerative disc disease above and below lastest fusion . Dr.s say I need to extend original fusion from T12-S1 . I have consulted with Dr Sean McCance in NYC . Does anyone have any experiences with this surgeon ? Can anyone recommend any surgeons in NY / Long Island . Thanks I'm so stressed

    Lisa,
    Of course you are stressed but luckily you are local to the best surgeons in the world for this type of procedure! I had a total reconstruction with Lenke 3 years ago. t4-s1 as I had 2 70 degree curves. I am 49. I have complete confidence in Dr Lenke and he will tell you exactly what you need to have done. He is known as the best so that is your comfort. I have no pain, no complications, play tennis and can do everything anyone else can do. Go see Lenke, trust his judgement and move on with your life!
    RMT
    45 yrs old at time of surgery
    fused t4-s June 2014, Dr Lenke
    pre surgery curves 60 upper, 70 lower
    after surgery--pretty darn straight

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    24
    Lisa, did you have surgery when you were younger or was this your first one?
    Fused T3 to L4 1978 with Harrington rod
    Surgery Oct 21, 2011 fused L3-S1 posterior
    Dr Antonacci, Princeton, NJ

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    reno,nevada
    Posts
    3,640
    Hi Nancy


    Lisa states Harrington at age 17 which plants it around 1978. 40 years passes and it seems like yesterday (smiley face)

    I grew up in Wayne, New Jersey and was there during that period. I am wondering who did your surgery back then? Did you go to NYC?

    Funny, I have a similar story about needing the works, I tried to get my surgeon to lower the top levels and he wouldn't do it. There was no debate on the subject matter....just a look of shock from me. Go in, talk about things, try to absorb what was going to happen. My pain made my decision. Dr Lenke is a good choice....

    I see that Joe O'Brien did another revision and wanted to pass along some healing vibes....


    Ed
    49 yr old male, now 59, the new 55...
    Pre surgery curves C12,T70,L70
    ALIF/PLIF T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

    Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

    My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    15

    Re : more surgery

    I had my original scoliosis surgery at HSS by Dr Grahm, he has since passed away . I want to see Dr Lenke , he has been highly recommended . Unfortunately he isn't on my insurance and they will not work with me even though I have out of network benefits .

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    24
    that is so frustrating. i had that with Dr Boachie, they basically told me last time that they didn't know how much they would bill me, it could be the entire cost of the surgery and i had out of network benefits too. So i didn't use him. I don't understand how these surgeons won't work with patients. It's unbelievable.

    After many hours on the phone today, i finally got through to some people at HSS - Dr Cunningham, Dr Rawlins and Dr Kim are the 3 who took over for Dr Boachie's patients. It sounds like these 3 are the other top doctors for scoliosis and revision in NY. I'm not sure what to do. I was in tears today trying to get someone to give me some kind of helpful information over the phone and basically they all suggested i come in for appointments. My insurance has such a high deductible so it would cost me about $300-400 for each visit. I can't believe they don't have some kind of scoliosis department that gives you recommendations on who to consult with.
    Fused T3 to L4 1978 with Harrington rod
    Surgery Oct 21, 2011 fused L3-S1 posterior
    Dr Antonacci, Princeton, NJ

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •