Checking In - 16 months post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Checking In - 16 months post

It has been so long since I have checked in with the site after religiously checking in daily throughout my recovery. I am about 16 months post now and have done really well, all things considered. I healed fairly quickly right out of the gate, and by 9 months, was cleared to do most activities. My doctor said that the hardware all looked really good, so he was comfortable with me getting 'back on the horse', so they say. I was able to golf, travel and even dance a bit over the summer and through this fall with little issues. Even though I have a desk job and sit the majority of my day, I try to stay as active as possible and work out 3-4 days a week on my Peloton or treadmill and I think it has really helped.

I do still feel like I am still in healing mode some days. My pain is usually at the top of my fusion (T-6 and above) and can sometimes force me to lie down for a bit if I do too much. Just recently this pain has seemed worse and is concerning me a bit so have scheduled a visit with the doc this Friday. I am sure that it's nothing and just normal aches and pains, but I am always nervous that something will go wrong. Better to be safe than sorry

I just wanted to let all of the supporters know on here how much your support and advice meant to me. I probably didn't express that enough in the early months when my only concern was getting better, but a very big thank you is in order. A special thanks goes out to Ed in particular. The time that you put in here is noticed and admired.

Much love!
    Misty

Misty

Thanks for the glowing report, did we ever have any doubts? Never!

The top of the spine can present issues along with the lumbar spine. I guess a lot of us might think that since there is less weight, that it is less of a problem but that thought is wrong....If you look at the difference in weight and force between the cervical and lumbar, there must be a significant difference....but look at how many cervical problems there are in people without any curves. Curves are only a small factor in adult degenerative situations. The rest of it is this surprisingly infinite puzzle of problems that we need to focus on. You know, the other 99%. The spine is complicated....and its everyone's problem. We are just the lucky ones who have to deal with the brunt of it all....

I am glad you appreciate my posts. I think that we all learn from one another and this site helps in that regard. The testimonials have been invaluable, along with reading about all the different cases. My special thanks would go to Linda Racine, our moderator. She has been invaluable around here....

I had a friend pass (Age 53)from a 27 year battle with MS so I am in the dumps right now.....This took a lot of determination on his part. So many of my friends have had to do battle with some sort of disease in one way or another....It's something I am really thinking about these days. The old questions of "Why me?" that arose when I was diagnosed with scoliosis, even with 50 years and surgeries and all the lovely stuff we go through, are blessings compared to some of the hardships I have seen people go through.

That's why we are the lucky ones...

Ed
    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Hey misty I’m glad your surgery went well
      Kara
      Soon to be 26
      Braced at 13 years old
      Posterior Spinal Fusion March 10th 2010
      Age at the of surgery 18 years old
      Preop Curves 50T and 39L
      Postop Curves 20T and 17L

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
        Misty

Thanks for the glowing report, did we ever have any doubts? Never!

The top of the spine can present issues along with the lumbar spine. I guess a lot of us might think that since there is less weight, that it is less of a problem but that thought is wrong....If you look at the difference in weight and force between the cervical and lumbar, there must be a significant difference....but look at how many cervical problems there are in people without any curves. Curves are only a small factor in adult degenerative situations. The rest of it is this surprisingly infinite puzzle of problems that we need to focus on. You know, the other 99%. The spine is complicated....and its everyone's problem. We are just the lucky ones who have to deal with the brunt of it all....

I am glad you appreciate my posts. I think that we all learn from one another and this site helps in that regard. The testimonials have been invaluable, along with reading about all the different cases. My special thanks would go to Linda Racine, our moderator. She has been invaluable around here....

I had a friend pass (Age 53)from a 27 year battle with MS so I am in the dumps right now.....This took a lot of determination on his part. So many of my friends have had to do battle with some sort of disease in one way or another....It's something I am really thinking about these days. The old questions of "Why me?" that arose when I was diagnosed with scoliosis, even with 50 years and surgeries and all the lovely stuff we go through, are blessings compared to some of the hardships I have seen people go through.

That's why we are the lucky ones...

Ed
        Thanks Ed.

Sorry for your loss. It's hard when a loved one goes so early. I suspect it's the universes way of getting us warmed up for all of the losses we'll have to withstand a little later in life.

--Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Linda, I hope not too warmed up.....of course, this comes to mind

Sometimes the Green Mile seems so long.....
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YbVsEhNuT0

We really don't get cut off short, you know? And we have to endure our scoliosis for long periods of time, almost like our own Green Mile.....

Ed
          49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
          Pre surgery curves T70,L70
          ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
          Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Originally posted by mistybowe View Post
            It has been so long since I have checked in with the site after religiously checking in daily throughout my recovery. I am about 16 months post now and have done really well, all things considered. I healed fairly quickly right out of the gate, and by 9 months, was cleared to do most activities. My doctor said that the hardware all looked really good, so he was comfortable with me getting 'back on the horse', so they say. I was able to golf, travel and even dance a bit over the summer and through this fall with little issues. Even though I have a desk job and sit the majority of my day, I try to stay as active as possible and work out 3-4 days a week on my Peloton or treadmill and I think it has really helped.

I do still feel like I am still in healing mode some days. My pain is usually at the top of my fusion (T-6 and above) and can sometimes force me to lie down for a bit if I do too much. Just recently this pain has seemed worse and is concerning me a bit so have scheduled a visit with the doc this Friday. I am sure that it's nothing and just normal aches and pains, but I am always nervous that something will go wrong. Better to be safe than sorry

I just wanted to let all of the supporters know on here how much your support and advice meant to me. I probably didn't express that enough in the early months when my only concern was getting better, but a very big thank you is in order. A special thanks goes out to Ed in particular. The time that you put in here is noticed and admired.

Much love!
            Misty
            Hi, Misty! It is good to hear from you! I'm so happy that you are doing well, and I hope that your aches and pains are nothing serious, just part of the healing process.

I will say, I felt pretty good at my 1-year post op check up, but not 100% great. I did notice more healing from 12 months to 16 months. I'm now 18 months out and I feel like I'm as good as it's gonna get. I can't complain as I am SO MUCH better than before my surgery. But, I have certainly make life adjustments, and I'm OK with that. I'm sure the "18 month healing time" for me was partly due to my age.

Please let us know how your appointment goes.

Kathy
            Decompression surgery L4/L5
            April 3, 2015
            Twin Cities Spine Center - Dr. Joseph Perra
            Fused from T11 - Sacrum anterior/posterior
            June 24, 2016 - 55 years old at surgery
            Twin Cities Spine Center - Dr. Joseph Perra
            Before Surgery: 42 degrees lumbar, 28 degrees thoracic
            After Surgery: 10 degrees lumbar, ?? Thoracic
            2 inches taller

Comment

Originally posted by KathyInIowa View Post

Please let us know how your appointment goes.
              Good to hear from you Kathy! My appointment went just fine. No issues with the hardware at all, he thinks it is likely caused more in my neck due to being at my desk emailing for long periods of time. He encouraged me to go to a few physical therapy appointments to learn some exercises to strengthen the upper part of my back and neck. It's probably not a bad idea to do that anyway... I never went to physical therapy after my surgery, I was told just to walk, walk, walk!

Hope you are well and you have a beautiful holiday season!

Misty

Comment

Misty,
                It sounds like you are doing really well. I noticed that you are a golfer, too. I am fused T4-sacrum and could not imagine that it would be possible to ever play halfway decent again, but I won the Club Championship 1 1/2 years after my surgery. I noticed improvements and an increase in flexibility even after two years.
                Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                Rib Hump-GONE!
                Age-60 at the time of surgery
                Now 66
                Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Working...
                X