Hello, I'm new to this forum!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ripley View Post
    I just had surgery with Dr. Lenke only 3 weeks ago.
    Ripley, Your done...... Congratulations!

A lot of years has passed since you started posting here......(smiley face)

Hang in there.....

Ed
    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Love those earrings, girl!

Jensen, Looked at your xrays. Gotta love a girl who wears earring bling for xrays!
      Susan
      Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
      2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
      2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
      2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
      2018: Removal L4,5 screw
      2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

more stuff...

Thanks Ed! Yes it’s finally over and I couldn’t be happier!! I’m so glad to have had everyone’s support here. I don’t know what I would have done without it - Thank You!

Jenson - Karen’s post reminded me of something. I don’t know if you are experiencing it yourself, but a lot of people who know nothing of scoliosis might discourage you. I faced that a lot and it is awful. It made me so upset to hear people say they have that too and oh never let them touch your spine! People don’t understand there are varying degrees of scoliosis and some curves progress while others never do, some curves are painful while others might not be. My own mother said to me “oh everybody has some curve to their spine.” Meaning I shouldn’t do anything about it. She never understood and that hurt. Just listen to the spinal experts and don’t let those who know nothing about it discourage you.

Comment

Originally posted by golfnut View Post
          I see my 96 year old dad with scoliosis and know how much pain he is in.
          Karen. 96. I cant imagine the pain......What can or do you do for scoliosis at age 96?

Do you know his curves?

Worrying about what was going to happen was on my mind.

Ed
          49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
          Pre surgery curves T70,L70
          ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
          Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Thank You All-

[QUOTE=ripley;169687]Thanks Ed! Yes it’s finally over and I couldn’t be happier!! I’m so glad to have had everyone’s support here. I don’t know what I would have done without it - Thank You!

Wow, Karen, Susan, Ripley & Ed,

I can't tell you all how much of a lift I have gotten from your kind words. Thank you all for taking time out to address my fear and commiserate with me. Your happy outcomes have given me strength and allowed me to trust my feelings on this. I know I don't have a choice, really...... Not if I want any quality of life that is. And I do!
            I can't believe how quickly my spine progressed in the wrong direction. I was a competitive figure skater when I was young. I still can't believe I used to be able to control my balance perfectly even with mild scoliosis. Then I continued to workout regularly until a few years ago. I have maintained my yoga and stretching but that is about all. Walking is a daily struggle that always ends with me holding my breath until I realize I need air!!!! About the only way I can lift my torso up straight is through taking a deep breath.
            My ribcage is really messed up and it is starting to affect my breathing and also I have a large hiatal hernia that is being squished. I haven't noticed on other's xrays that their ribs are twisted sideways like mine on the right. My rib is turned sideways and sitting on my hipbone. (see image below) Did anyone have these issues? I plan to ask Dr. Hey at my next appointment what will become of that? I'd like my tiny waist back if possible. I've lost about 4 inches in my waist and 3 1/2 inches in my height. Add 10 pounds due to inactivity to that pretty picture and you can imagine my displeasure. This is all in a 4 year span. How is that possible? Did anyone else decline that quickly? Between the scoliosis, arthritis, degenerative disc, facet arthritis and aging I am going to be wider than I am tall shortly if I don't do something!!
            Being able to talk with you all has made a huge difference for me. So Thank you again for your kind words and uplifting stories.
            And yes Susan, I wore my bling bling earings during my scans! lol
            Take care,

Jenson
            Attached Files
            Jenson

56 Years old and awaiting spinal correction surgery-

I have a double curve that is buckling in the middle and getting worse due to degenerative disc disease, facet arthritis and osteoarthritis.
            T4-11 is 50 degrees, T11-L3 is 78 degrees. L4-5 laterolisthesis 8mm, trunk buckling 2.4 cm.

Comment

So glad that you are progressing well! Congratulations! Don't be surprised if there are still some days of "two steps forward, one step backwards". Yes, you did have a choice: be paralyzed by your fear or take a chance on a much better quality of life. Continue to heal, walk often for short amounts of time, listen to your body, take care of yourself and party-hardy to celebrate the new and improved you.

Hugs, Susan

PS: I wore toe rings into surgery. Didn't want to be completely naked!

While having surgery is quite an ordeal, you basically just need a surgeon, date for surgery, and show up naked on time your insurance card! For my last spine surgery, I just put the gown on top of me and held it when I moved onto the table. I told the surgical technician that I would make it easy for them to prepare me for the surgery as I had not actually put the gown on. He thanked me and said that the last patient had the gown tied very tightly and they had great difficulty getting it off her to prep for surgery. Gowns give us such a false illusion of modesty!
              Last edited by susancook; 09-08-2017, 06:00 AM.
              Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
              2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
              2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
              2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
              2018: Removal L4,5 screw
              2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Working...
              X