Yesterday was my five year anniversary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yesterday was my five year anniversary

I haven't been on the forum for quite some time as we have been consumed by health issues of a family member. I have been blessed by a very good outcome of my surgery at age 66 by Dr. Lenke. Other than muscles that tighten up around my left scapula when I lie down at night, I have had an uneventful recovery for which I am very thankful. I was supposed to see Dr. Lenke this past week for my five year check but I cancelled that appointment as June 1 I was diagnosed with stage 4 HER2 positive breast cancer. I had my yearly routine mammogram and something of concern showed up which led to several biopsies and my diagnosis. This all came from a half inch sized lump that I nor any doctor could feel. I was able to quickly get an appointment at MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston and after several biopsies, it was determined that the cancer had very quickly spread to many bones (including my spine) and I have eight tumors in my liver. All are HER2 positive breast cancer. They came up with my treatment plan and I have completed two of six chemo treatments locally and will be getting two targeted IV drugs, Herceptin and Perjeta every three weeks for life. I will return to Houston at the end of September for a repeat bone scan and a CT scan.
    Inspite of this very serious diagnosis, I am at complete peace because there are many people praying for me. I was sorry not to be able to see Dr. Lenke one last time but am very thankful to have a pain free back.
    I am also very thankful for all I have learned on this forum over the past several years.
    Jane

Hi Jane,

Originally posted by jane d View Post
    I haven't been on the forum for quite some time as we have been consumed by health issues of a family member. I have been blessed by a very good outcome of my surgery at age 66 by Dr. Lenke. Other than muscles that tighten up around my left scapula when I lie down at night, I have had an uneventful recovery for which I am very thankful. I was supposed to see Dr. Lenke this past week for my five year check but I cancelled that appointment as June 1 I was diagnosed with stage 4 HER2 positive breast cancer. I had my yearly routine mammogram and something of concern showed up which led to several biopsies and my diagnosis. This all came from a half inch sized lump that I nor any doctor could feel. I was able to quickly get an appointment at MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston and after several biopsies, it was determined that the cancer had very quickly spread to many bones (including my spine) and I have eight tumors in my liver. All are HER2 positive breast cancer. They came up with my treatment plan and I have completed two of six chemo treatments locally and will be getting two targeted IV drugs, Herceptin and Perjeta every three weeks for life. I will return to Houston at the end of September for a repeat bone scan and a CT scan.
    Inspite of this very serious diagnosis, I am at complete peace because there are many people praying for me. I was sorry not to be able to see Dr. Lenke one last time but am very thankful to have a pain free back.
    I am also very thankful for all I have learned on this forum over the past several years.
    Jane

I am so very sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I will be lifting you up in prayer every day. I will pray for a miracle for you. Blessings from Texas. Hugs, Sheryl

Comment

Thank you so much Sheryl! That means a lot to me.
      Jane

Comment

Jane, Face the breast cancer like you did your spinal surgery. Sending prayers and hugs to beat this!
        Susan
        Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
        2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
        2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
        2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
        2018: Removal L4,5 screw
        2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Thank you Susan. You have been through so much yourself. I have prayed for you
          over the years although I didn't tell you. I am fighting this for sure. I have my third chemo this
          Thursday and then I will be halfway through the chemo with Perjeta and Herceptin
          every three weeks after that. I'm not giving up.
          Jane

Comment

Thank you Susan. You have been through so much yourself. I have prayed for you
            over the years although I didn't tell you. I am fighting this for sure. I have my third chemo this
            Thursday and then I will be halfway through the chemo with Perjeta and Herceptin
            every three weeks after that. I'm not giving up.
            Jane
            Jane, in my prior life, I was a Women's Health Care Nurse Practitioner and women's health researcher. In my 23 years in practice, I had a little over 50 patients with breast cancer....now, that's a long list at the Komen event! Only 2 of them died.

I will not quote this perfectly, but:

"You cannot choose the cards that you are dealt,
            But you have a responsibility to play the hell out of the cards that you are holding".
            Cheryl Strayed

Hugs to you. You can do this. Sending healing thoughts and prayers for recovery,
            Susan

And thanks for your thoughtfulness in praying for me. I always wondered who was pulling for me with the Big Guy.
            Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection

Comment

Thank you Susan. You are always so encouraging!
              Jane

Comment

Jane,
                I am sorry to hear this and will pray for your recovery.
                Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                Rib Hump-GONE!
                Age-60 at the time of surgery
                Now 66
                Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Jane, Stay Positive!!

Jane,
                  I'm new on the forum and just wanted to reach out to you and tell you to believe. My daughter had stage 4 brain cancer and they told us if we get it that it will never come back but that "IF" was a big chore. They did a few really treatments including "Intensive chemo and stem cell transplant". It has now been 5 years. She got married a little over a year ago and is now going through fertility treatments as there was no time to harvest eggs prior to treatment. All good.
                  Stay positive and be kind to yourself. It sounds like you are already a fighter having gone through scoliosis surgery so you know you can do it!!! I am hoping to get this done this fall. The stress of waiting is exhausting and stressful!!!

Prayers and good thoughts to you~

Jenson
                  Attached Files
                  Jenson

56 Years old and awaiting spinal correction surgery-

I have a double curve that is buckling in the middle and getting worse due to degenerative disc disease, facet arthritis and osteoarthritis.
                  T4-11 is 50 degrees, T11-L3 is 78 degrees. L4-5 laterolisthesis 8mm, trunk buckling 2.4 cm.

Comment

Impressive Pictures!!

Karen,

Your pictures are amazing! They give me so much hope as I am one the before side of the operation. I can't wait to get it done and be working towards better. I am trying to keep myself fit as much as possible in the meantime.

How was your recovery?

Jenson
                    Attached Files
                    Jenson

I have a double curve that is buckling in the middle and getting worse due to degenerative disc disease, facet arthritis and osteoarthritis.
                    T4-11 is 50 degrees, T11-L3 is 78 degrees. L4-5 laterolisthesis 8mm, trunk buckling 2.4 cm.

Comment

Thank you for the encouragement, Jenson. That is really good news about your daughter.
                      I had some good news this week, the first since my cancer diagnosis. I had a blood test
                      Checking the level of tumor activity. Originally my CA 15-3 level was 760(normal is below 30). This week
                      My level had dropped about 91%, to 68! My oncologist was very pleased at my response after three rounds of chemo. I have round four this Thursday. I am so thankful for the prayers of so many.
                      Jane

Comment

Thank you for the encouragement, Jenson. That is really good news about your daughter.
                        I had some good news this week, the first since my cancer diagnosis. I had a blood test
                        Checking the level of tumor activity. Originally my CA 15-3 level was 760(normal is below 30). This week
                        My level had dropped about 91%, to 68! My oncologist was very pleased at my response after three rounds of chemo. I have round four this Thursday. I am so thankful for the prayers of so many.
                        Jane
                        Awesome, Jane!
                        Susan

Comment

Congratulations!!!

Jane

Jane,

That is such awesome news! I am so very happy for you.
                          The advances in cancer treatments are amazing and very encouraging.
                          Please keep me posted as I will be thinking about you and sending prayers your way.

Jenson
                          Jenson

Comment

Jane, I'm almost five years post-op too. That's great that your recovery was so good. Sorry to hear about the cancer. Hang in there! I too know a number of women who have responded very favorably to treatment. I am adding your name to my prayer list. <3 Thinking of you!

Julia
                            1973 Age 15 diagnosed with scoliosis but told too old for surgery.
                            2001 age 43 told too old for surgery, did physical therapy & traction.
                            2001 to 2008 Intermittent use of home traction machine and TENS unit.
                            2009 traction no longer effective - physical therapy.
                            2011 More physical therapy. 2012 Collapsing scoliosis - MRI before surgery
                            At age 53, surgery on October 2nd, 2012 with Dr Hey
                            Fusion with titanium rods and bolts from T1 to pelvis.
                            Post op x-ray

Comment

Working...
                            X