SRS and VBT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
    Truth is provisional and is what has the most evidence at that moment. For some things, we have so much evidence that it can be considered an actual truth.
    I am not sure we can equate evidence with truth though. Truth has to be a constant evidence doesn't

Comment

Originally posted by burdle View Post
      I am not sure we can equate evidence with truth though. Truth has to be a constant evidence doesn't
      I am not equating them. Truth is a function of evidence (amount, quality, coherence with other evidence, etc.). There is overwhelming evidence that water is two atoms of hydrogen and one atom oxygen. Thus it is true that the chemical formula is H20. That is constant.

There is overwhelming evidence that the earth is older than a few thousands years. Thus it is true that the earth is older than a few thousand years. That is constant.

There is a bucket of evidence that surgeons do not tend to offer Spinecor because it doesn't seem to work. Thus it is true that most surgeons don't offer Spinecor. That may change but I doubt it.

Peter Newton (top ped spine surgeon) SAID his group tried to make Spinecor work but failed. Thus Peter Newton dos not offer Spinecor to his patients. That is constant.

People can and do take issue with all these things and claim they aren't true. But the evidence suggests they are true.
      Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
      Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

I am not equating them. Truth is a function of evidence (amount, quality, coherence with other evidence, etc.). There is overwhelming evidence that water is two atoms of hydrogen and one atom oxygen. Thus it is true that the chemical formula is H20. That is constant.

There is overwhelming evidence that the earth is older than a few thousands years. Thus it is true that the earth is older than a few thousand years. That is constant.

There is a bucket of evidence that surgeons do not tend to offer Spinecor because it doesn't seem to work. Thus it is true that most surgeons don't offer Spinecor. That may change but I doubt it.

Peter Newton (top ped spine surgeon) SAID his group tried to make Spinecor work but failed. Thus Peter Newton dos not offer Spinecor to his patients. That is constant.

People can and do take issue with all these things and claim they aren't true. But the evidence suggests they are true.
        All 'true' but for example Spinecor Doctors originally claimed that the brace would 'work'- that wasn't true but it wasn't a falsehood either - at the time the evidence indicated this. Later with more evidence we know that it doesn't work as first thought. It is true that most surgeons do not offer it but it is neither true nor false that it doesn't work because at some point I 'worked' for 'some'.

I am not arguing for or against spinecor- jjust enjoying the 'philosophy'
        Last edited by burdle; 06-28-2017, 05:01 AM.

Comment

All 'true' but for example Spinecor Doctors originally claimed that the brace would 'work'- that wasn't true but it wasn't a falsehood either - at the time the evidence indicated this. Later with more evidence we know that it doesn't work as first thought. It is true that most surgeons do not offer it but it is neither true nor false that it doesn't work because at some point I 'worked' for 'some'.

I am not arguing for or against spinecor- jjust enjoying the 'philosophy'
          The Spinecor developers HOPED it would work. They can't claim it works until they gather evidence. They did publish papers putatively showing it worked but other surgeons did not believe them. I know this because a surgeon told me these papers were widely disbelieved among surgeons. I don't think they were saying it was outright fraud but rather poor design and the general problem of doing science well. Surgeons are MDs and that is not a research degree. There are joint MD/PhD programs for a reason. I am not saying MDs can't come up to speed. Many do come up to speed. I am saying some don't and still publish.

I don't believe Spinecor ever worked and was shown to work in a correctly designed experiment.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

The Spinecor developers HOPED it would work. They can't claim it works until they gather evidence. They did publish papers putatively showing it worked but other surgeons did not believe them. I know this because a surgeon told me these papers were widely disbelieved among surgeons. I don't think they were saying it was outright fraud but rather poor design and the general problem of doing science well. Surgeons are MDs and that is not a research degree. There are joint MD/PhD programs for a reason. I am not saying MDs can't come up to speed. Many do come up to speed. I am saying some don't and still publish.

I don't believe Spinecor ever worked and was shown to work in a correctly designed experiment.
            Point taken. I think I would then use the word 'reality' rather than 'truth'

Comment

Point taken. I think I would then use the word 'reality' rather than 'truth'
              I'll agree with that.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Working...
              X