Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Climbing stairs 1 week after surgery.... Is it possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Climbing stairs 1 week after surgery.... Is it possible?

Hi All, My surgery is in August ( t4-Sacrum.) The only way into our house is up a full flight of stairs. Will I be able to do this at about a week post-op, or do we need to look at some other solution?

Thanks!

Hi Ripley,

I'm fused T9- sacrum and they had me doing stairs on day 5 of a 7 day hospital stay. I live in a split level and had no issue whatsoever with the stairs once I was home. Short walks in the beginning are key. Keep moving and get plenty of rest. Both are so important to the healing process! Good luck!

Risë

Comment

Hold on to the siderail, take it slowly, you can do it.
      Susan
      Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
      2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
      2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
      2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
      2018: Removal L4,5 screw
      2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Hi, Ripley.

I am fused T11 - Sacrum. I don't know your age, but I was 55 at the time of my surgery 1-year ago. I stayed at my son's apartment for the first 6-weeks after my surgery, and he lived on the 3rd floor, no elevator. I walked up and down those stairs every day for my outside walks. I got to his apartment on about day 8. I agree with Susan, definitely hang on to the railing and I would also suggest not carrying anything. That way you will focus solely on yourself and what you are doing, and not be distracted by something you might be carrying. Even now, I still always use a railing if there is one - even though I don't really need to. But, I figure "better safe than sorry."

Good luck with your surgery. I will be thinking of you!

Kathy
        Decompression surgery L4/L5
        April 3, 2015
        Twin Cities Spine Center - Dr. Joseph Perra
        Fused from T11 - Sacrum anterior/posterior
        June 24, 2016 - 55 years old at surgery
        Twin Cities Spine Center - Dr. Joseph Perra
        Before Surgery: 42 degrees lumbar, 28 degrees thoracic
        After Surgery: 10 degrees lumbar, ?? Thoracic
        2 inches taller

Comment

Ripley, I was doing stairs in the hospital at around a week. I don't think they will release you if you cannot do stairs...They didn't present too much of a challenge, the thing is you don't want to fall.

If you get dizzy, you need to do a full stop. I would simply stand in one spot if I felt dizzy since I didn't want to fall. I had the dizzies come and go for a year.

I would say if you don't feel good enough to do stairs, stay off them. You will know how you will feel about things when you get there....

After a few days I was always ready for a walk....It beats hanging out in bed. The more you walk, the better off you are. After the walking is dialed, the stairs will come easy.

Ed
          49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
          Pre surgery curves T70,L70
          ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
          Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Thanks!

Thank you all so much for responding! You’re all so encouraging- I can’t believe how much everyone is able to do so quickly after surgery! I’m relieved to know we won’t need some workaround for our stairs at home - its the only way in and out of the house. Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
            X