Thread: Climbing stairs 1 week after surgery.... Is it possible?

Climbing stairs 1 week after surgery.... Is it possible?

Hi All, My surgery is in August ( t4-Sacrum.) The only way into our house is up a full flight of stairs. Will I be able to do this at about a week post-op, or do we need to look at some other solution?

Thanks!

Hi Ripley,

I'm fused T9- sacrum and they had me doing stairs on day 5 of a 7 day hospital stay. I live in a split level and had no issue whatsoever with the stairs once I was home. Short walks in the beginning are key. Keep moving and get plenty of rest. Both are so important to the healing process! Good luck!

RisŽ

Hold on to the siderail, take it slowly, you can do it.
    Susan
    Adult Onset Degenerative Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Severe disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 in 2 surgeries
    2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal surgery for Spinal Cord Injury at T4,5 sec to PJK
    2015: Revision Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
    2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone + prayer

Hi, Ripley.

I am fused T11 - Sacrum. I don't know your age, but I was 55 at the time of my surgery 1-year ago. I stayed at my son's apartment for the first 6-weeks after my surgery, and he lived on the 3rd floor, no elevator. I walked up and down those stairs every day for my outside walks. I got to his apartment on about day 8. I agree with Susan, definitely hang on to the railing and I would also suggest not carrying anything. That way you will focus solely on yourself and what you are doing, and not be distracted by something you might be carrying. Even now, I still always use a railing if there is one - even though I don't really need to. But, I figure "better safe than sorry."

Good luck with your surgery. I will be thinking of you!

Kathy
    Decompression surgery L4/L5
    April 3, 2015
    Twin Cities Spine Center - Dr. Joseph Perra
    Fused from T11 - Sacrum anterior/posterior
    June 24, 2016 - 55 years old at surgery
    Twin Cities Spine Center - Dr. Joseph Perra
    Before Surgery: 42 degrees lumbar, 28 degrees thoracic
    After Surgery: 10 degrees lumbar, ?? Thoracic
    2 inches taller

Ripley, I was doing stairs in the hospital at around a week. I don't think they will release you if you cannot do stairs...They didn't present too much of a challenge, the thing is you don't want to fall.

If you get dizzy, you need to do a full stop. I would simply stand in one spot if I felt dizzy since I didn't want to fall. I had the dizzies come and go for a year.

I would say if you don't feel good enough to do stairs, stay off them. You will know how you will feel about things when you get there....

After a few days I was always ready for a walk....It beats hanging out in bed. The more you walk, the better off you are. After the walking is dialed, the stairs will come easy.

Ed
    49 yr old male, now 58, the new 53...
    Pre surgery curves C12,T70,L70
    ALIF/PLIF T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Thanks!

Thank you all so much for responding! Youíre all so encouraging- I canít believe how much everyone is able to do so quickly after surgery! Iím relieved to know we wonít need some workaround for our stairs at home - its the only way in and out of the house. Thanks again!