Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One more surgery behind me!!!!!

Hi all,
    I am home from St. Louis and recovering( once again)!!!!! Dr. Gupta took all the old equipment out ( titanium) and replaced it with stainless steel. He went posterior, T/4 to sacrum, with an osteotomy at L4. Anterior he went from L/1 to S/1 wth a cage in there someplace. And of course he packed me with BMP and a kadabra rib was also used( I think it was ground up). The surgery was ten hrs. long. I was in ICU two days. And three days in a regular room. I'm glad to have it over!!!! I have to wear a brace for three months for sure. And of course all the other precautions we've all been through. My pain is still pretty bad. But it's only been ten days. One problem that is really bothersome is the fact that I'm carrying ten lbs. of excess fluid around. My feet and legs are terribly swollen. And of course my back and stomach are swollen. Has anyone here had this happen? My local Dr. gave me a low dose of Lasix to help relieve some of it, but they don't seem to be helping. It is really uncomfortable to say the least. I hope this finds all of you doing OK. I have a long road ahead of me~~ but it will be worth it to be able to stand up straight . I gained two inches!!!!! Bye for now~~~Linda
    Last edited by babyboomer16; 06-10-2017, 03:27 PM.
    Linda Brozik~~60 yrs. old at time of Lenke's first surgery. 62 now!
    Surgery 2006 L3/4 L4/5 double fusion/ instumentation/ With 2 cages
    This started adult onset scoliosis
    July 1st, 2010/ surgery ~~fused T10 to pelvis (long rods/ screws)
    Oct.20th 2010, extended rods to T4 / did osteotomy at L3
    Oct. 29th 2012 Dr. Lenke St. Louis Mo. T4 to sacrum osteotomy anterior cage L3/4 titanium rods
    May 30th 2013 revision
    May 8th cervicle surgery 2016
    May 31st Dr. Gupta revision 2017

Linda, yes. I was 9 months along (Male, not trans) He he, and my feet were HUGE from Edema.... These things can happen with ALIF, probably more often with multi level ALIF which is what we had. Susan also had this procedure done on her revision.

And yes, it is uncomfortable......

The main thing is to keep moving. You have to keep moving. You don't want that blood stagnating in your feet causing DVT, or clotting, and moving by at least doing heel lifts at the kitchen counter are a good thing. Both hands on kitchen counter, lift heels 2 inches, set back down, then repeat. I did it every hour for a few minutes while I was not sleeping or trying to sleep. This will help the edema or swelling.

Again, walking around the house every 90 minutes is a good thing, I was warned about being a couch potato, but then how can you get comfortable? The only way I could get comfortable was by doing hot water soaks in a deep tub.
    Walking outside is better. At least you are not breathing house particulates and dust this way. I would start with walking 50 feet and coming back.

Congratulations on getting this done and over with. Now you have to hang in there......Its hard,but you can do this.

Be careful with constipation......and please don't fall down. Stop and stand in one place if you are getting dizzy.

These first couple of weeks are the most critical.

Hang in there

Ed
    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
      Linda, yes. I was 9 months along (Male, not trans) He he, and my feet were HUGE from Edema.... These things can happen with ALIF, probably more often with multi level ALIF which is what we had. Susan also had this procedure done on her revision.

And yes, it is uncomfortable......

The main thing is to keep moving. You have to keep moving. You don't want that blood stagnating in your feet causing DVT, or clotting, and moving by at least doing heel lifts at the kitchen counter are a good thing. Both hands on kitchen counter, lift heels 2 inches, set back down, then repeat. I did it every hour for a few minutes while I was not sleeping or trying to sleep. This will help the edema or swelling.

Again, walking around the house every 90 minutes is a good thing, I was warned about being a couch potato, but then how can you get comfortable? The only way I could get comfortable was by doing hot water soaks in a deep tub.
      Walking outside is better. At least you are not breathing house particulates and dust this way. I would start with walking 50 feet and coming back.

Congratulations on getting this done and over with. Now you have to hang in there......Its hard,but you can do this.

Be careful with constipation......and please don't fall down. Stop and stand in one place if you are getting dizzy.

These first couple of weeks are the most critical.

Hang in there

Ed
      Thanks Ed for your support. I wanted to give you an update. My legs are better. My left foot still isswelled. I sleep with my feet elevated every night, but I guess it just takes time. Today was a very strange day, as I slept ALL DAY!!! I have no appetite. I am cold all the time, which is nothing new, cause I had that problem before the surgery. It's weird, cause it happens after I wake up. Oh well, enough complaining. I am grateful to be straight once again. I must concentrate on the lower spine
      fusing, as the neck, thotacic thru L/4/5 are fused, according to Dr. Gupta. So I am grateful, just wish I felt a bit better than I do.(smiles). I know there are good days and bad days. Thanks again for your post. I appreciated it very much. Warmly, Linda
      Oct. 29th 2012 Dr. Lenke St. Louis Mo. T4 to sacrum osteotomy anterior cage L3/4 titanium rods
      May 30th 2013 revision

Comment

Hi Linda:

May I ask you why Dr. Gupta removed your titanium and replaced it with stainless steel?

Karen

Comment

Originally posted by dailypain View Post
          Hi Linda:

May I ask you why Dr. Gupta removed your titanium and replaced it with stainless steel?

Karen
          Dr. Gupta told my husband after the surgery he went with quarter inch stainless steel because it is stronger than the smaller titanium rods. But I din't know how thick the titanium I had was. I just hope he's right and I never have to go through this again!! i have a problem fusing in my lower back, and that can cause the rods to break. So let's hope this does the trick . Warmly, Linda
          May 30th 2013 revision

Comment

Linda,
            I checked in the forum, which I seldom do any more, with the hope that you had posted. I have been thinking about you and glad to hear the surgery went well. I am sorry you are not feeling well, but you will get better. As you know, the first month is the worst. Hang in there and try to walk as much as possible.
            Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
            Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
            70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
            Rib Hump-GONE!
            Age-60 at the time of surgery
            Now 66
            Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
            Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
            Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
            Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
            tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
            http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Originally posted by babyboomer16 View Post
              Dr. Gupta told my husband after the surgery he went with quarter inch stainless steel because it is stronger than the smaller titanium rods. But I din't know how thick the titanium I had was. I just hope he's right and I never have to go through this again!! i have a problem fusing in my lower back, and that can cause the rods to break. So let's hope this does the trick . Warmly, Linda
              My first surgery (back in 1969) was a stainless steel rod. One wuth a few hooks. Now it's three, different sizes with cages and screws by the multitudes. In 1969, I was fused T4-L4... Probably would have lasted forever. I did have one fusion that did not fuse over 40 years. Weird. But after years and years of issues I had the revision. Not sure if I made a wise decision or not. But that's the past. Have to look forward to the future and live the life that was intended for me. Good luck with all.

Karen aka Daily Pain

Comment

Originally posted by golfnut View Post
                Linda,
                I checked in the forum, which I seldom do any more, with the hope that you had posted. I have been thinking about you and glad to hear the surgery went well. I am sorry you are not feeling well, but you will get better. As you know, the first month is the worst. Hang in there and try to walk as much as possible.
                Thanks Karen!! I am doing alright with the exception I am extremely tired and weak. But I think it all has to do with the recovery. If it continues I will see my Dr. in case I need some more blood or something. It is funny how a person forgets how hard this can be. And I am older(smiles)!!!! Stay healthy my friend!! Linda
                May 30th 2013 revision

Comment

So glad that you are doing well, but sorry about the pain.
                  I also had a lot of swelling after surgery. Suggestions: Compression socks, decrease salt, keep legs elevated, do foot stretches often. Hope that you continue to improve!
                  Gentle Hug,
                  Susan
                  Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
                  2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
                  2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
                  2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
                  2018: Removal L4,5 screw
                  2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Originally posted by susancook View Post
                    So glad that you are doing well, but sorry about the pain.
                    I also had a lot of swelling after surgery. Suggestions: Compression socks, decrease salt, keep legs elevated, do foot stretches often. Hope that you continue to improve!
                    Gentle Hug,
                    Susan
                    Susan,
                    Thanks so much for the suggestions for fluid retention. It's getting a lot better, but not completely gone. I'v never had it like this ever!!! Ten lbs. of extra fluid is a lot. It is terribly uncomftable. I have thought of you often. I would love to know how you're doing. You have always been able to rise above adversity. But I know that none of this is easy no matter how strong a person we are!!!! God's Blessings upon you my dear~~Linda.
                    May 30th 2013 revision

Comment

Working...
                    X