July 10 Lenke/Post Op Inpatient Rehab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• July 10 Lenke/Post Op Inpatient Rehab

Hey All, I'll have a PICC line installed on 7 July, then the 12 hour procedure on 10 July. Subject to last minute changes, so I am warned. The multiple imaging studies reveal a ~80 degree kyphosis, mutiple levels of DDD, rotation at pelvis, you name it. I have attached a scan of the surgical plan and a lo-fi image of a standing X-Ray; you get the idea. Of all, perhaps the VCR isScan0050.pdf the most unsettling. The main thing that has caused the most consternation is their unwillingness to commit to any sort of inpatient rehab after the hospital stay. They seemed more concerned about the availability of someone in my home 24/7 than anything else. This contingency took up a major part of the discussions on my last OV on 16 May. I pay 45% of my total net income on health care insurance, deductibles and co-pays. It is very disappointing this should be a concern, particularly after a procedure of this magnitude. After I broke my femur in 2009, after care was never even mentioned to me. I was shipped off to an inpatient rehab until I was able to fend for myself at home. I was in for ~ 10 days as I recall. Now I am facing, which according to Lenke "is the most invasive procedure we have on the books.", Yet they are saying if possible I will be discharged directly to my home after 5-7 days, and after a period of time will be expected to drive to any necessary PT or other appointments. If anyone could comment on their recent experiences I would be very grateful. I have a stack of imaging discs, I will pull up some better views and post them before I leave. I asked that the PICC line be installed by a local hospital, ( I live within 30 minutes of 3 major teaching hospitals and Fox Chase Cancer Center), thus saving me a trip to NYC. That was rejected, citing there was "something special" about the PICC line they use. OK... it is their world and I am simply passing through it.

I would be most appreciative for any post op rehab experiences, particularly if you passed through Lenke's care.
    Attached Files

Surgical Plan Second Attempt

This, hopefully, is the surgical plan for 10 July...Scan0050.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by rjmacready View Post
      Hey All, I'll have a PICC line installed on 7 July, then the 12 hour procedure on 10 July. Subject to last minute changes, so I am warned. The multiple imaging studies reveal a ~80 degree kyphosis, mutiple levels of DDD, rotation at pelvis, you name it. I have attached a scan of the surgical plan and a lo-fi image of a standing X-Ray; you get the idea. Of all, perhaps the VCR is[ATTACH]1942[/ATTACH][ATTACH]1944[/ATTACH] the most unsettling. The main thing that has caused the most consternation is their unwillingness to commit to any sort of inpatient rehab after the hospital stay. They seemed more concerned about the availability of someone in my home 24/7 than anything else. This contingency took up a major part of the discussions on my last OV on 16 May. I pay 45% of my total net income on health care insurance, deductibles and co-pays. It is very disappointing this should be a concern, particularly after a procedure of this magnitude. After I broke my femur in 2009, after care was never even mentioned to me. I was shipped off to an inpatient rehab until I was able to fend for myself at home. I was in for ~ 10 days as I recall. Now I am facing, which according to Lenke "is the most invasive procedure we have on the books.", Yet they are saying if possible I will be discharged directly to my home after 5-7 days, and after a period of time will be expected to drive to any necessary PT or other appointments. If anyone could comment on their recent experiences I would be very grateful. I have a stack of imaging discs, I will pull up some better views and post them before I leave. I asked that the PICC line be installed by a local hospital, ( I live within 30 minutes of 3 major teaching hospitals and Fox Chase Cancer Center), thus saving me a trip to NYC. That was rejected, citing there was "something special" about the PICC line they use. OK... it is their world and I am simply passing through it.

I would be most appreciative for any post op rehab experiences, particularly if you passed through Lenke's care.
      Hi...

Insurance companies are now in charge of our lives. They have almost all of the control. If they decide you have enough ability to do a few simple things, you're going to get sent home. The good news is that if you're sent to home (as opposed to rehab or SNF), you have a much lessened risk of post-op complications.

As far as driving to PT, I'm guessing that they're thinking that you'd ride in a car. While you're on narcotic medication, you could be convicted of impaired driving. At UCSF, patients are told that they should not drive as long as they're taking narcotics.

Does Dr. Lenke use PICC lines on all of his patients? If so, does anyone know why? I think central lines are usually considered standard of care.

--Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Wow. I was taken by ambulance to rehab for 15 days. But you what, I would have rather gone home. You don't get any care at night in rehab. You should have PT, OT, and a nurse come to your house for at least a few times. Like Linda said, Insurance companies are running our life. But plan to take it easy for a while. I was working back in 2006 when I had my revision (12 hour) surgery. I was off work for 6 months. Desk job. You will have to have someone with you at all times at home. Make sure you carry a cell phone in a pocket just in case. You will do fine. But it's a long recovery. Take your time, don't rush anything. Fix your house so everything is up so you do not have to bend over to reach. Make sure you have lots of grabbers, & extra pillows. Plus comfy seat that is sits high but cushioned. Arms on all chairs a must. Potty chair next to bed. Rails or potty chair around toilet. Your OT is your best friend. There's a trick to drying your self after taking a showe. Good luck.

Comment

I hope Chet is ok.....anyone chat with him? He was looking at a 07/10/17 date with Dr L

Ed
          49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
          Pre surgery curves T70,L70
          ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
          Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Feel Better!!

Hi Chet, Just thinking of you and hoping all went well on your surgery Monday! Can't wait to hear how it all went. Best wishes for a speedy recovery!!
            -Ripley

Comment

Working...
            X