No announcement yet.

Fusion to sacrum - what type of chair??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fusion to sacrum - what type of chair??

Hi all. I haven’t been able to get on the forum for months due to the phishing warning and its been stressing me with surgery quickly approaching! Anyway, I’m scheduled for 8/14 with Dr. Lenke (T4-Sacrum). I was wondering if I need a stiff upright chair as opposed to the sofa? With fusion to sacrum, is it possible to sit in a more cushy couch or is that uncomfortable? Does anyone recommend using a recliner or lift chair? Thanks for any advice!

What type of Chair? Rolls Royce in a swimming pool. (Just kidding) I posted that photo a few days ago.....Ha ha

Some have purchased furniture, and some have not. I have a beautiful Lazy Boy I do not use, and do not prefer couches or soft furniture. Just a simple kitchen chair actually.

I would make the decision after your initial recovery period.

Sitting is hard after scoliosis surgery. I ended up doing a lot of walking.

Breathe deep! It helps with anxiety. Walking outside also helps.

Ed
    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

I agree with waiting to see if what you already have might work for you postop. I LOVE pillows behind my back. My butt is adequately naturally padded, so no problem there. Also, the ability to feel comfortable in harder chairs came with time. I am 16 months from my last revision and I still like a pillow behind my back.
      Wishing you a good outcome with whatever is needed with your broken rod.
      Susan
      Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
      2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
      2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
      2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
      2018: Removal L4,5 screw
      2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Couches, unless they have relatively firm padding, are typically not recommended for at least the first 3 months. I never sit in any overly cushy couch.

I would definitely recommend a good supportive chair and/or recliner, with arms, for your early recovery. Something like this would work: https://images2.roomstogo.com/is/ima...imary_936x650$
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Thank you!!

Hi Ed, Susan and Linda! Thanks so much for taking the time to respond! I like the chair, Linda and was thinking something like that might work. Thank you all!

Comment

Recliner

I am fused T4 to sacrum - May 2016. It was quite a while before I could sit on a regular couch or soft chair comfortably. I purchased a firm recliner and it was the best purchase I made. I did shop around before the surgery and it proved to be a good decision. But I'm sure everyone is different. I got mine at Raymour & Flannigan.
            Marlene

T4 to Sacrum; 70 degree lumbar corrected to less than 20 degrees.
            5/7/2016; Dr. Schwab, Hospital for Special Surgery.
            61 at the time.

Comment

Thanks!

Thanks for responding! We are actually going to Raymore and Flannigan tonight to look for recliners! I was going to order online, but thought I should probably try them out. It seems to me they need to be somewhat stiff for after the op. Thanks again!

Comment

I heartily second the recliner vote. We didn't have one and I sure wish I did!!! I didn't know it would have been so important and discovered the "reclining" need on my own. I used a piece of wood with a folded blanket and pillow on it propped on the sofa. It was unstable and awful but I couldn't relax any other way. I needed help leaning against it and getting up again too because the board slipped so eaily.

I also had an office chair at the dining room table so I could raise the seat as high as possible and tip it back a little, recliner-style. But a recliner would have been sheer heaven for resting after surgery.
                1973 Age 15 diagnosed with scoliosis but told too old for surgery.
                2001 age 43 told too old for surgery, did physical therapy & traction.
                2001 to 2008 Intermittent use of home traction machine and TENS unit.
                2009 traction no longer effective - physical therapy.
                2011 More physical therapy. 2012 Collapsing scoliosis - MRI before surgery
                At age 53, surgery on October 2nd, 2012 with Dr Hey
                Fusion with titanium rods and bolts from T1 to pelvis.
                Post op x-ray

Comment

Julia Ann- Dr Hey?

Originally posted by JuliaAnn View Post
                  I heartily second the recliner vote. We didn't have one and I sure wish I did!!! I didn't know it would have been so important and discovered the "reclining" need on my own. I used a piece of wood with a folded blanket and pillow on it propped on the sofa. It was unstable and awful but I couldn't relax any other way. I needed help leaning against it and getting up again too because the board slipped so eaily.

I also had an office chair at the dining room table so I could raise the seat as high as possible and tip it back a little, recliner-style. But a recliner would have been sheer heaven for resting after surgery.
                  Hi Julia Ann,
                  I am awaiting surgery with Dr. Hey and saw that he did your surgery also. How are you now? Are you better for the surgery? I am pretty scared but to be quite honest I am equally afraid of what will happen if I don't choose to have the surgery. Because of degenerative disc and arthritis things have progressed greatly in the last few years. I've lost 3 1/2" in the last 4 years.
                  Are you happy with Dr. Hey? Are you better for having gone through the surgery?

Some days I'm more afraid than others.... depends on my pain that day.....

Take care,

Jenson
                  Attached Files
                  Jenson

56 Years old and awaiting spinal correction surgery-

I have a double curve that is buckling in the middle and getting worse due to degenerative disc disease, facet arthritis and osteoarthritis.
                  T4-11 is 50 degrees, T11-L3 is 78 degrees. L4-5 laterolisthesis 8mm, trunk buckling 2.4 cm.

Comment

Working...
                  X