Thread: Fusion to sacrum - what type of chair??

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Fusion to sacrum - what type of chair??

Hi all. I havenít been able to get on the forum for months due to the phishing warning and its been stressing me with surgery quickly approaching! Anyway, Iím scheduled for 8/14 with Dr. Lenke (T4-Sacrum). I was wondering if I need a stiff upright chair as opposed to the sofa? With fusion to sacrum, is it possible to sit in a more cushy couch or is that uncomfortable? Does anyone recommend using a recliner or lift chair? Thanks for any advice!

What type of Chair? Rolls Royce in a swimming pool. (Just kidding) I posted that photo a few days ago.....Ha ha

Some have purchased furniture, and some have not. I have a beautiful Lazy Boy I do not use, and do not prefer couches or soft furniture. Just a simple kitchen chair actually.

I would make the decision after your initial recovery period.

Sitting is hard after scoliosis surgery. I ended up doing a lot of walking.

Breathe deep! It helps with anxiety. Walking outside also helps.

Ed
    49 yr old male, now 59, the new 55...
    Pre surgery curves C12,T70,L70
    ALIF/PLIF T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

I agree with waiting to see if what you already have might work for you postop. I LOVE pillows behind my back. My butt is adequately naturally padded, so no problem there. Also, the ability to feel comfortable in harder chairs came with time. I am 16 months from my last revision and I still like a pillow behind my back.
    Wishing you a good outcome with whatever is needed with your broken rod.
    Susan
    Adult Onset Degenerative Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Severe disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
    2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal Spinal Cord Injury T4,5 sec to PJK
    2015: Revision Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
    2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
    2018: Removal L4,5 screw

Couches, unless they have relatively firm padding, are typically not recommended for at least the first 3 months. I never sit in any overly cushy couch.

I would definitely recommend a good supportive chair and/or recliner, with arms, for your early recovery. Something like this would work: https://images2.roomstogo.com/is/ima...imary_936x650$
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Thank you!!

Hi Ed, Susan and Linda! Thanks so much for taking the time to respond! I like the chair, Linda and was thinking something like that might work. Thank you all!

Recliner

I am fused T4 to sacrum - May 2016. It was quite a while before I could sit on a regular couch or soft chair comfortably. I purchased a firm recliner and it was the best purchase I made. I did shop around before the surgery and it proved to be a good decision. But I'm sure everyone is different. I got mine at Raymour & Flannigan.