Revision surgery coming up!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Revision surgery coming up!!

Hi all, it's been quite some time since I'v been on here. I had my neck fixed a a year ago, and now I'm getting ready to go back to St.Louis to fix my back(AGAIN!!!!). My neck is fused from C2 to T1. And in front they put a cage and a piece of mesh covering the two vertebrae they removed in front. It is a success , but very uncomfortable. Now Dr. Gupta will take all rods and screws out of my back and do an osteotomy, then replace the rods and screw(T/2 to pelvic). I have six fractures in my rods. Dr. Gupta said that they are, more than likely, caused by non- fusion. I did have a couple bad falls too. I hope now that I have changed some medicines, things like that won't happen!!!
    Sounds like it will be an all day surgery. I can't help but be nervous , mainly because of my last surgery on my neck, I had bad pain management. But I got some good advice from Susan in regard to asking the anesthesiologist about the pain control at my pre-op appt. Hopefully things will be better this time.
    May31st. is my surgery date, and the pre-op is the 17th of May. It's a long trip to take back and fourth , twice, within two weeks. But it is what it is!! We do what we have to do. There's lots of strong people on this forum!! Take care everyone!! Best wishes to all of you!! Linda p.s. All prayers are welcome!
    Last edited by babyboomer16; 05-05-2017, 11:49 PM.
    Linda Brozik~~60 yrs. old at time of Lenke's first surgery. 62 now!
    Surgery 2006 L3/4 L4/5 double fusion/ instumentation/ With 2 cages
    This started adult onset scoliosis
    July 1st, 2010/ surgery ~~fused T10 to pelvis (long rods/ screws)
    Oct.20th 2010, extended rods to T4 / did osteotomy at L3
    Oct. 29th 2012 Dr. Lenke St. Louis Mo. T4 to sacrum osteotomy anterior cage L3/4 titanium rods
    May 30th 2013 revision
    May 8th cervicle surgery 2016
    May 31st Dr. Gupta revision 2017

Linda, wishing you the best for your upcoming surgery. You are a trooper and will do well.
    Hugs and prayers, Susan
    Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
    2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
    2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
    2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
    2018: Removal L4,5 screw
    2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

I am wishing you the best with your surgeryband recovery. Prayers and hugs for you! Be sure to post when you can.
      Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
      Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
      70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
      Rib Hump-GONE!
      Age-60 at the time of surgery
      Now 66
      Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
      Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
      Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
      Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
      tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
      http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Hi Linda

There are a lot of strong people on this forum. You being one of the strongest.....That neck procedure you had done was quite a doozie.

My 80 year old neighbor is extremely brave, I went over the other day and she had her head shaved and of course, thought cancer.

She had major brain surgery with several scars on the top of her head and she came through great. (She reported no pain)

I am a believer in miracles because they do happen....

I will be thinking of you...

Ed
        Last edited by titaniumed; 05-20-2017, 09:34 AM.
        49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
        Pre surgery curves T70,L70
        ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
        Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Back from pre-op~~

Thanks Ed, Karen and Susan for your support!! I just got back from my pre-op in St. Louis with Dr. Gupta. He said that, because of the length of the surgery, that he may do it in two parts. (all posterior). He would do half, put me in intensive care for a couple days, then go back in and do the rest. I was very uncomfortable with that senerio. I haven't heard of it done that way. He said something about "you only have so much blood". Do any of you know what that would mean? I needed to have them explain that a little clearer. Now I wait to go back for surgery the 31st. I would appreciate it if anyone has ever heard of surgery done this way. Thanks in advance. Bye for now~~ God Bless you all, Linda
          Oct. 29th 2012 Dr. Lenke St. Louis Mo. T4 to sacrum osteotomy anterior cage L3/4 titanium rods
          May 30th 2013 revision

Comment

Linda, my first thought is that your surgeon is the absolute expert in figuring out how best to accomplish what he needs to do to repair your back with your unique body. As you know, we all lose a lot of blood with surgery. With the amount that he expects that you will lose, doing the surgery in 2 parts with a few days between the surgeries gives your body the opportunity to replenish some of the lost blood with transfusions before the second surgery....when you will lose some more blood and probably need more transfusions.

You're a tough cookie....you can do it! Nobody wants 2 days of surgery, but if that is the best way to rebuild your back, so be it.

Sending you healing prayers, Susan
            Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
            2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
            2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
            2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
            2018: Removal L4,5 screw
            2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Linda

With all the surgeries you have had, I am surprised that you have not had staged surgeries....

In ICU, the powerful medications keep you in a sort of "dimmed" state, like a light dimmed down low. There isn't much of a thought process, and certainly no pain at all. I spent a few days there, and don't remember much at all. It was everyone else that told me about it....The only thing you have to worry about is that the truth comes out, which can be interesting to hear about later. Multiple doctors stated in my hospital reports that I was an excellent historian. I wish I knew which era, time and place I was talking about. (smiley face) I don't remember any visitors.

I lost a few days of memory, and was surprised when they told me it was Monday, when I was operated on the previous Tuesday and Thursday. So about 6 days in the twilight zone.

I also did not hallucinate.....not even once.

It was the easy part of my surgeries....

Ed
              49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
              Pre surgery curves T70,L70
              ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
              Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Originally posted by susancook View Post
                Linda, my first thought is that your surgeon is the absolute expert in figuring out how best to accomplish what he needs to do to repair your back with your unique body. As you know, we all lose a lot of blood with surgery. With the amount that he expects that you will lose, doing the surgery in 2 parts with a few days between the surgeries gives your body the opportunity to replenish some of the lost blood with transfusions before the second surgery....when you will lose some more blood and probably need more transfusions.

You're a tough cookie....you can do it! Nobody wants 2 days of surgery, but if that is the best way to rebuild your back, so be it.

Sending you healing prayers, Susan
                Once again, thanks Susan! It makes so much sense when you say it. It's nice to find comfort with people that are so darn understanding, having gone through so much themselves. I sure hope you are doing well. I haven't seen any update on you , but I hope things have been much better for you. I think of you often~~ thanks again. Linda
                May 30th 2013 revision

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
                  Linda

With all the surgeries you have had, I am surprised that you have not had staged surgeries....

In ICU, the powerful medications keep you in a sort of "dimmed" state, like a light dimmed down low. There isn't much of a thought process, and certainly no pain at all. I spent a few days there, and don't remember much at all. It was everyone else that told me about it....The only thing you have to worry about is that the truth comes out, which can be interesting to hear about later. Multiple doctors stated in my hospital reports that I was an excellent historian. I wish I knew which era, time and place I was talking about. (smiley face) I don't remember any visitors.

I lost a few days of memory, and was surprised when they told me it was Monday, when I was operated on the previous Tuesday and Thursday. So about 6 days in the twilight zone.

I also did not hallucinate.....not even once.

It was the easy part of my surgeries....

Ed
                  . Thanks Ed for that great description of ICU. I doesn't sound so scary explaining it the way you do. (Smiles)You know, you'd think with all the surgeries I'v been through, I wouldn't be so nervous about things. But it doesn't work that way!! In fact, it's what you do know that scares you sometimes. But it helps to have support, immensely. Thanks for helping calm my nerves!! Hope this finds you doing well. Linda
                  May 30th 2013 revision

Comment

Working...
                  X