Considering more surgery and need advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OhioSwimmer View Post
    First off, I really appreciate the replies that I have received and the support of this forum. It is very encouraging to know that I am not alone in this!

In addition, I was wondering if anyone else has had issues with foot numbness and if that was alleviated with more surgery. Could having more surgery at least keep the numbness from getting worse? So I have increasing numbness in one foot that seams to be accelerating in the past several months. Also, would appreciate any recommendations for spinal surgeons in Ohio that handle this sort of thing.

Thanks and regards.
    I had groin pain, thigh pain, which was new pain that prompted me to seek help, and numbness on bottom of right foot I had had for years really. I didn't really notice the numbness too much except when things were really hurting. After my surgery, my foot was literally icy to touch. Very weird, but only lasted a couple months. It steadily improved each week. Basically, if your foot is still numb in a year after surgery, it is pretty much there to stay. I think my foot is still numb a little (but improved from before) and it has been a bit over a year. It doesn't bother me - it just isn't as ticklish as my other foot!

Comment

Originally posted by LeanneJ View Post
      I am new to this site and facing a fusion from T10 to S1. There will be rods implanted in my pelvis. I was highly active and am trying to stay that way despite the constant pain so for now I am active as I can be with the distortions of my thoracic & lumbar spine + a previous cervical fusion from C3 to C6. Will I be able to dance Zumba, walk 4 miles on a treadmill, ride my horse, work out with weights at the gym, garden or even drive my car on the highly packed and crazy S Cal freeways? Also, I am wondering if I am able to go back to these activities that bring me joy will I be faced with further hip, knee or foot problems down the line since I will not have the mobility/flexibility I used to have?
      Hi Leanne,

I am fused t6 to sacrum, and I am able to do all the things you are asking about except for riding a horse. But I only rode a horse once in my life before the surgery and don't have any interest in trying it now.

I do zumba, weights, swim, can walk very long distance. My feet will get tired, but no back pain, knock on the wood. Driving, sitting for long hours is totally fine. I have a sitting job and often work long hours, again my brains would go on break, but my back doesn't bother me. I am very blessed and unfortunately, not everyone is as lucky as I am. I am forever grateful to Dr. Serena Hu.

It's a difficult decision to make, wishing you the best.
      I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
      45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
      A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

Working...
      X