Osteopenia and Fusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Osteopenia and Fusion

Today I received my bone scan results. It seems I have Osteopenia in my spine, T score was -1.3. It was -1.5 in the femoral neck and normal iny total hip.

I'm now thinking I need to build this up if I can. How have others done with fusion with low bone density. Dr. Lenke did not ask for this either so I wonder what he would think now?
    Melisse
    Diagnosed with Adolescent Scoliosis @ 12 y.o. Thoracolumbar curve was around 28*
    Wore Boston Brace 2 -3 yrs

Originally posted by Kay1974 View Post
    Today I received my bone scan results. It seems I have Osteopenia in my spine, T score was -1.3. It was -1.5 in the femoral neck and normal iny total hip.

I'm now thinking I need to build this up if I can. How have others done with fusion with low bone density. Dr. Lenke did not ask for this either so I wonder what he would think now?
    Melisse, It is my understanding the majority of patients that have ASD surgery have at least mild osteopenia. Perhaps Linda can give you the exact figures. The first option for increasing bone mineral density is a drug called Forteo. It is a 2 year regimen of daily injections. I will finish my 2 years in about 10 days, then switch to Prolia, as per Dr. Lenke's wishes.

There should have been a Dexa Scan ordered as part of your pre-op testing. Lenke may not have mentioned it because he knew you were due to get the exam. Please look carefully at your instructions, it should be there. As I said, it won't delay your surgery (?) unless you want it to. ( Again, check with the experts, but my first choice for an ASD surgeon was OK with operating on with me with osteopenia. My scores were a bit worse than yours.)

If you are not in excruciating pain, and have not delayed until "hitting bottom" like I did, putting off surgery until you can build up your BMD would be the best of all worlds I would think. If your insurance won't cover the Forteo, they do have assistance plans for people under a certain income. I would shoot a quick email into Lenke's office after faxing them the Dexa Scan results and get his opinion as to whether waiting would be his preference. Its his world, we are just passing through. Chet

Comment

[QUOTE=rjmacready;168802]Melisse, It is my understanding the majority of patients that have ASD surgery have at least mild osteopenia. Perhaps Linda can give you the exact figures. The first option for increasing bone mineral density is a drug called Forteo. It is a 2 year regimen of daily injections. I will finish my 2 years in about 10 days, then switch to Prolia, as per Dr. Lenke's wishes.

I am not sure what I am going to do now with these bone results. I will call Dr. Lenkes nurse and see if they recommend getting on something to help strengthen my spine.

There should have been a Dexa Scan ordered as part of your pre-op testing. Lenke may not have mentioned it because he knew you were due to get the exam. Please look carefully at your instructions, it should be there. As I said, it won't delay your surgery (?) unless you want it to. ( Again, check with the experts, but my first choice for an ASD surgeon was OK with operating on with me with osteopenia. My scores were a bit worse than yours.)

Dr. Lenke did not order a scan, it was ordered by Dr. Lonner but I will send it to Dr. Lenke as I wonder what he would then want to do.

If you are not in excruciating pain, and have not delayed until "hitting bottom" like I did, putting off surgery until you can build up your BMD would be the best of all worlds I would think. If your insurance won't cover the Forteo, they do have assistance plans for people under a certain income. I would shoot a quick email into Lenke's office after faxing them the Dexa Scan results and get his opinion as to whether waiting would be his preference. Its his world, we are just passing through.

I have to admit, I don't want surgery and could keep delaying it but I'm afraid it will just all get worse.
      Melisse
      Diagnosed with Adolescent Scoliosis @ 12 y.o. Thoracolumbar curve was around 28*
      Wore Boston Brace 2 -3 yrs

Comment

Working...
      X