No announcement yet.

40 degrees - bracing vs. surgery at 12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MZL, congratulations on the improved curve!

Comment

Hi mzl-
      I had to have surgery at 12 years old due to my scoliosis being severe. I think a lot of people think that scoliosis is almost like a dealth sentence for young kids, but really its not. I am now 16, and I have been able to do everything I could do befor surgery, altho I did have complications with my first surgery. i was able to play volleyball, but this last fall while doing backwords summersaults for a drill in practice, i fractured a vertebra pulled a hook through and ended up having to have my third surgery 4 weeks ago. Your probably thinking right now that im nuts and you are sooo happy that your daughters chance of surgery has gone down, but just to assure you, this rarely happens in kids. I am glad her curvature had gone down, though! Being that i still am a 'kid', i know what your daughters going through emoctionally, this last surgery was extreamly emotionally draining for me. If you have any questions or if you daughter just needs someone to talk to that sort of knows where shes coming from, feel free to write me back!

Abby
      18 year old female
      scoliosis curve of 50-60 degrees
      corrective surgery done at age 12( 2001), first surgery a screw went through a vertebra, was then closed up and then re-opened two days later.
      After second surgery, fusion was a success.
      Rods, hooks, and screws put in.
      Fall of 2004 in volleyball, fractured three vertebra's, on June 2nd, 2005 surgery was completed to fix that, old rods were taken out and replaced by stronger ones.

Comment

hello in my oppionin u should stick with the brace..at least till she stops growong.. or if it gets worse.. i dont think surgry is the way to go(atleast thats wut i think) unless its a MUST . surgy is the quick and easy way to fix the problem, heres alil saying i like lol "if it doesnt kill u it will make u stronger"... scolio is defiantly not THAT big of a deal but i do belive that when u hit a "problem" and u can use it 2 make u stronger.. like a learn a very valuable lesson thru it ..jsut because u took the long way... but i think u should pray about it and i belive God will answer yur questions in the most remarkable way.
        well hopefully somtin i said was helpful..
        nessa

Comment

Hello,
          My son also was a boston brace wearer. He was diagonosed at the age of eleven. His curve was 32 degrees. He wore a brace for 18 months. The brace was believed to have slowed the progression down. Once his curve had reached 45 degrees, his doctor said bracing was no longer going to be a option. He required a spinal fusion. He had this in November of last year. He had a unusal complication, which made him go back into surgery in March of this year. He is now six months post op and is doing great. The only advice I have for MZL is, I realize you have your daughter with scoliosis. I also read about your son. I have done alot of research of teenage boys with scoliosis. I think you need to be aware that from what I have looked up {alot of this info is from the internet}, boys can have a tendency to progress, even if they have reached skeletal maturity, especially if their curve is in the high 40's and 50's in the teenage years. I wish everyone here all the best, with the everyday challenges of bracing. Surgery shouldn't be taked lightly, but if it does become necessary, it is so important to go to the best surgeons available to you in your area. Do your research, this is your child, and deserve nothing but the best!!!!
          LeaEvelyn

Comment

Working...
          X