Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CT Scan Results - Screw Issue?

Hello fellow scolis,

I'm hoping someone might give me insight into the results of a CT scan I recently had. I'm going to see my surgeon for a follow-up in a few weeks, but I'm impatiently trying a bit to decipher the results ahead of time.

Just as background - I've had a bad nerve pain for three years since my fusion. After trying many different avenues, including a ton of PT, I started to become more and more convinced it was my hardware that was irritating me. I have very small pedicles and it was hard for my surgeon to place the screws in. However, he said the x-rays looked fine and wasn't sure that was they were the cause. He ordered a new MRI and CT scan to check it out. I finally agreed to the CT scan after holding off for a couple years.

Anyways, my CT scan says that my pedicle screws are broaching the medial cortex of the pedicle at several levels. Does anyone know if this means they could be near the nerve root and causing irritation or is this normal?

Maybe Linda you would have some insight?

Thanks in advance!
    Surgery Jan 6, 2014 at 38 yrs
    Posterior Fusion T10-L4, osteotomy 1 lev.
    Pre op-Thoracolumbar Curve-50 degrees

Originally posted by springchicken View Post
    Hello fellow scolis,

I'm hoping someone might give me insight into the results of a CT scan I recently had. I'm going to see my surgeon for a follow-up in a few weeks, but I'm impatiently trying a bit to decipher the results ahead of time.

Just as background - I've had a bad nerve pain for three years since my fusion. After trying many different avenues, including a ton of PT, I started to become more and more convinced it was my hardware that was irritating me. I have very small pedicles and it was hard for my surgeon to place the screws in. However, he said the x-rays looked fine and wasn't sure that was they were the cause. He ordered a new MRI and CT scan to check it out. I finally agreed to the CT scan after holding off for a couple years.

Anyways, my CT scan says that my pedicle screws are broaching the medial cortex of the pedicle at several levels. Does anyone know if this means they could be near the nerve root and causing irritation or is this normal?

Maybe Linda you would have some insight?

Thanks in advance!
    If screws broach the medial cortex, it can cause dural and/or neural injury. So, it's definitely possible that screw placement is what is causing your symptoms.

Do you have a follow-up appointment scheduled?

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
      If screws broach the medial cortex, it can cause dural and/or neural injury. So, it's definitely possible that screw placement is what is causing your symptoms.

Do you have a follow-up appointment scheduled?

--Linda
      Thanks so much, Linda, for your input. I do in 2 weeks. I'm really anxious for something to be done but will have to see what Dr. Arlet recommends. If it means surgery, I don't know if it would just be a couple of screws or more extensive hardware which would be a bigger procedure. Obviously hoping it could be as simple as possible!

Comment

Thanks so much, Linda, for your input. I do in 2 weeks. I'm really anxious for something to be done but will have to see what Dr. Arlet recommends. If it means surgery, I don't know if it would just be a couple of screws or more extensive hardware which would be a bigger procedure. Obviously hoping it could be as simple as possible!
        Typically, the only time revision surgeries are really big surgeries is when the patient needs pedicle subtraction osteotomies or vertebral column resections to change the patient's posture.

I hope that, if revision surgery is recommended, that it's small and that it resolves your pain.

--Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Typically, the only time revision surgeries are really big surgeries is when the patient needs pedicle subtraction osteotomies or vertebral column resections to change the patient's posture.

I hope that, if revision surgery is recommended, that it's small and that it resolves your pain.

--Linda
          Thanks, me too! I am afraid to hope. One last question for you-can you ever get most of your screws removed with the rods still in place or are the screws needed for stability? All the tests show that I'm fused as far one can tell.

Comment

If a surgeon needs to remove a cage is that a big deal?
            T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
            C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
            T2--T10 fusion 2/11
            C 4-5 fusion 11/14
            Right scapulectomy 6/15
            Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
            To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
            Broken neck 9/28/2018
            Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
            Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
            Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
            Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
            Osteotomy

Comment

Originally posted by jackieg412 View Post
              If a surgeon needs to remove a cage is that a big deal?
              Yes, removing a cage is a lot more surgery than removing a screw.

Comment

Thanks, me too! I am afraid to hope. One last question for you-can you ever get most of your screws removed with the rods still in place or are the screws needed for stability? All the tests show that I'm fused as far one can tell.
                It depends on where the screws are in the construct. If screws are removed from the top or bottom of a construct, and not replaced, the rods are typically shortened. If the screws are not at the top or bottom, nothing typically needs to be done to the rods.

Comment

It depends on where the screws are in the construct. If screws are removed from the top or bottom of a construct, and not replaced, the rods are typically shortened. If the screws are not at the top or bottom, nothing typically needs to be done to the rods.
                  Thanks, Linda. It looks like, after my appointment with my surgeon, that I will be getting some screws, and a hook, in the middle out. If anyone has gone through this I would be very grateful to hear about recovery times.

Dr. Arlet made it sound like a very easy surgery, but he made it seem like that the first go around, too, and it was much harder than I expected (probably because of my ongoing pain issues). There's no guarantee this will help, but there's hope that it will.

Comment

I had 4 screws a portion of a rod and 2 connectors removed and it was really an easy surgery. I could have gone home as soon as I woke up. It was that easy.
                    T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
                    C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
                    T2--T10 fusion 2/11
                    C 4-5 fusion 11/14
                    Right scapulectomy 6/15
                    Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
                    To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
                    Broken neck 9/28/2018
                    Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
                    Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
                    Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
                    Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
                    Osteotomy

Comment

Originally posted by jackieg412 View Post
                      I had 4 screws a portion of a rod and 2 connectors removed and it was really an easy surgery. I could have gone home as soon as I woke up. It was that easy.
                      Wow that is great to hear Jackie. I guess I am skeptical because I thought the first one would be relatively easy for me. Are you thinking of getting a cage removed?

Comment

More worries...

Argh, I feel so bad going on when I've been reading others posts and the challenges they are going through. Pain is such a terrible thing to live with.

I'm so much more nervous this time around. He said this will be a piece of cake, but the first surgery was supposedly going to be easy for me, too.

I feel confident that the hardware is giving me the problems. But what if my surgeon gets in there and removes the screws he thinks are a problem, but leaves one intact that is the actual problem? This is a really silly question, but does anyone know if once your surgeon's in there, they would have a better idea of something is misplaced? He'll have my CT scans as guidance, too. I am so worried because I'd really like to avoid more surgery in the future if possible...

Comment

I hope the procedure is relatively simple and relieves your pain.
                          Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                          Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                          70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                          Rib Hump-GONE!
                          Age-60 at the time of surgery
                          Now 66
                          Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                          Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                          Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                          Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                          tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                          http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Originally posted by golfnut View Post
                            I hope the procedure is relatively simple and relieves your pain.

Many thanks, Karen.

Comment

Working...
                            X