Thread: National Scoliosis Foundation

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

National Scoliosis Foundation

Hi...

I wanted to put in a plug for the National Scoliosis Foundation, the organization behind our forum. The NSF is a 501(c)(3) charitable organization that survives on individual donations. If you're looking for a place to make a year end donation, please consider them. (Disclaimer: I take no funding from the NSF.)

http://www.scoliosis.org/donate/

Thanks and Happy New Year.

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Dilbert
    I'm sarcastic... what's your super power? --Unknown
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If you've signed up and are having trouble posting, please check your spam folder. An email was sent to the email address which you subscribed. You have to follow the instructions in that email. Done that and still having trouble posting? Contact Joe O'Brien at jpobrien@scoliosis.org.

Can you clarify what the dontations goes toward - do you affiliate with any of the other scoliosis organisations e.g SOSRT or SRS?

I disagree with some of his positions but my direct albeit small experience of Joe O'Brien is that he is a stand up guy who is fair as against his own interests.

I am more skeptical of treatment claims that Joe seems to be.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Quote Originally Posted by burdle View Post
    Can you clarify what the dontations goes toward - do you affiliate with any of the other scoliosis organisations e.g SOSRT or SRS?
    Running the NSF is a full time job. I do not see their budgets or tax filings, so I can't know what their income stream is. I suspect it's relatively small. Joe O'Brien, who runs the NSF, is an honorary member of the SRS. He is also on the advisory board for SOSORT.
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Dilbert
    I'm sarcastic... what's your super power? --Unknown
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation
    If you've signed up and are having trouble posting, please check your spam folder. An email was sent to the email address which you subscribed. You have to follow the instructions in that email. Done that and still having trouble posting? Contact Joe O'Brien at jpobrien@scoliosis.org.

Hi,

do you now what the NFS does- how does it justify its existence. I am not asking as a criticism - I just wanted to understand its role.

In UK we have a similar forum ( well we did but it has been down for a bit) but it exists purely as a support forum and is voluntarily run.

What else does NSF do and how does it keep up with advances made by other bodies such as SRS and SOSORT?

Quote Originally Posted by burdle View Post
    What else does NSF do and how does it keep up with advances made by other bodies such as SRS and SOSORT?
    I am guessing due to his involvement with SRS and SOSORT, Mr. O'Brien is aware of what those two bodies are doing. But he doesn't participate on the forum much.

Mr. O'Brien has published at least one paper as a co-author in the field of scoliosis but I am not sure if he has research training or what his role was on the paper.

I believe he is or has been a supporter of the Spinecor brace despite the fact that pediatric orthopedic surgeons didn't see much evidence of efficacy and therefore largely don't offer it leaving chiros to step into the vacuum.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

I think it is of the upmost importance that bodies such as this one are up-to-date.

The forum itself is invaluable for patient support etc. but we are all 'amateurs' and we need to be aware of the 'professional' opinions and latest initiatives in order to make what could be life-changing decisions.

I cannot comment on donations until I understand fully what they are for and to what use they are put, but I am very keen to ensure that much needed charitable donation is properly targeted and efforts are not needlessly duplicated.