Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: What does the scoliosis surgery feel like?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    9

    Exclamation What does the scoliosis surgery feel like?

    I apologize if I'm not putting this into the right category. Anyway, I'm a 50 year old female and am scheduled to have scoliosis surgery T1-sacrum March 2017. I can hardly breathe so full of anxiety. What can I expect when I wake up? I'm having 2 separate surgeries. What does it feel like first day? Does it feel like a bus hit ur body? I'm so frightened. I've had other surgeries, broken ankle , c-section, tonsillectomy, but what am I looking at after major scoliosis surgery? Any input, advice is much appreciated. Thank you

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    illinois
    Posts
    766
    At first you will hardly be awake or aware of what is happening. My SPINE team put a morphine block in the spinal cord. So i wasn't aware of too much pain. You are just worn out and feeling bruised all over. You do feel like you have been run over. You need a good medical team and a good support team.
    T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
    Fractured t-9 six days out of surgery
    C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
    PJK at t-9
    T2--T10 fusion 2/11
    Removal of left side t6-t10. 8/14
    C 4-5 fusion 11/14
    Right scapulectomy 6/15
    Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
    To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    9

    Arrow

    Omg u broke a vertebra a week after surgery? How does that even happen? I do have an excellent spine team. UCSF medical center. Dr Ames. He did a surgery on a woman in 2005 on a showed called Three Wishes where a woman's scoliosis was so severe, she was wheelchair bound He made her walk again. That's what I'm looking forward to if I don't have the surgery. I haven't left my home all year except for dr appts & scans. I am truly TERRIFIED of the procedure as well as the recovery time I'm also afraid of what it will feel like coming off of all the opioids. Withdrawals. I'm not sure how to ease my anxiety. Since I've scheduled the surgery which is actually May 2017 on my 51st bday, they are trying to move me up to March Any suggestions on how to prepare myself mentally? I'm getting a scan today because my neck is much worse so I may be looking at entire fusion. I cry just talking about it. My parents refused surgery for me when I was 12. Of course the brace did nothing. I've already lost another inch of height this year.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    83
    I understand some of the fears that go along with scoliosis and treatments. I haven't had surgery for my spine so my fears are different at the time being but there still fears! I bet not one person on here hasn't dealt with fear and anxiety about it and shed many tears.

    This site seems like a great place when dealing with scoliosis. Lots of people have been through it and have very real personal stories. I'm thankful for the support and others who have gone before me, that in itself gives me some hope. Hope is the most crucial aspect to me.

    Good Luck with everything. it's a huge decision and one that you ultimately make with of course the information and education you learn from the Dr's and experts.
    Melisse
    Age: 42: with 42* Lumbar, 32* Thoracic.
    Diagnosed with Adolescent Scoliosis @ 12 y.o. Thoracolumbar curve was around 28*
    Wore Boston Brace 2 -3 yrs

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Waterloo, IL
    Posts
    1,690
    Kstrong,
    My surgery was 6 years ago when I was 60. Your post sounds exactly like the way I felt before my surgery. I was looking forward to having a straight back with no rib hump, BUT I was scared to death of the pain I might experience, the unknown about the success or not of the surgery, and what the recovery would be like. I worried about it constantly. What did help was to get in as good of shape physically that I possibly could. Exercising has always helped me mentally as well. The pain was well managed in the hospital and when I was home. My biggest issue was constipation and the abdominal pain associated with it. There is probably a thread on the forum for dealing with the constipation which is caused by the pain medications. I think most people are able to gradually reduce the pain medication without having withdrawal issues. The months before my surgery were so much worse than the months following surgery. Everything went so much better than I had expected.
    Karen

    Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
    Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
    70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
    Rib Hump-GONE!
    Age-60 at the time of surgery
    Now 66
    Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
    Retired Kdgn. Teacher

    See photobucket link for:
    Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
    Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
    tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
    http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    reno,nevada
    Posts
    3,547
    Guys, Kathy made it through her surgeries at UCSF. She has a very good looking rack! Looks like a T2-Pelvis.

    She is around 2 weeks post right now.....which we all know how that feels.....

    Thought you guys should know....

    Ed
    49 yr old male, now 58, the new 53...
    Pre surgery curves C12,T70,L70
    ALIF/PLIF T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

    Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

    My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    37

    Hi!

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstrong529 View Post
    Omg u broke a vertebra a week after surgery? How does that even happen? I do have an excellent spine team. UCSF medical center. Dr Ames. He did a surgery on a woman in 2005 on a showed called Three Wishes where a woman's scoliosis was so severe, she was wheelchair bound He made her walk again. That's what I'm looking forward to if I don't have the surgery. I haven't left my home all year except for dr appts & scans. I am truly TERRIFIED of the procedure as well as the recovery time I'm also afraid of what it will feel like coming off of all the opioids. Withdrawals. I'm not sure how to ease my anxiety. Since I've scheduled the surgery which is actually May 2017 on my 51st bday, they are trying to move me up to March Any suggestions on how to prepare myself mentally? I'm getting a scan today because my neck is much worse so I may be looking at entire fusion. I cry just talking about it. My parents refused surgery for me when I was 12. Of course the brace did nothing. I've already lost another inch of height this year.
    Hi KStrong,

    I haven't had my surgery yet, but it is scheduled for Feb 28 and Mar 2 in two stages, like Ed's surgery was done.

    I am quite nervous about mine as well. Yours is much more involved than mine and I wish you well. I promise that I will keep you in my prayers. I will pray for complete healing and pain relief and for peace for you. I hope that you have someone at home or other family to give you the help and support that you will need. Please know that I'm thinking about you.

    Hugs,
    Sheryl in TX

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    6,797
    Quote Originally Posted by titaniumed View Post
    Guys, Kathy made it through her surgeries at UCSF. She has a very good looking rack! Looks like a T2-Pelvis.

    She is around 2 weeks post right now.....which we all know how that feels.....

    Thought you guys should know....

    Ed
    Thanks for the update Ed. Please tell Kathy that I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to talk to her. It's a busy time at work right now. I've got a new employee who is going out on maternity leave in a few weeks, I'm in the process of hiring another employee, and I'm getting ready to transition to part-time.

    --Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Dilbert
    I'm sarcastic... what's your super power? --Unknown
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If you've signed up and are having trouble posting, please check your spam folder. An email was sent to the email address which you subscribed. You have to follow the instructions in that email. Done that and still having trouble posting? Contact Joe O'Brien at jpobrien@scoliosis.org.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    reno,nevada
    Posts
    3,547
    Will do.

    Part time is a good thing. I can imagine the commute each day into SF is trying.....Heck, my commute is trying now that the Tesla Giga-factory is up and running. The traffic is really starting to bother me.

    I hope not too part time here on the forum.....I donít know what we would do without you here.

    Ed
    49 yr old male, now 58, the new 53...
    Pre surgery curves C12,T70,L70
    ALIF/PLIF T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

    Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

    My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    6,797
    Quote Originally Posted by titaniumed View Post
    Will do.

    Part time is a good thing. I can imagine the commute each day into SF is trying.....Heck, my commute is trying now that the Tesla Giga-factory is up and running. The traffic is really starting to bother me.

    I hope not too part time here on the forum.....I donít know what we would do without you here.

    Ed
    Thanks Ed. I actually live in SF, having moved here 3 years ago. It's not the commute as much as the alarm clock! I'm 67, so it's time. I'll be retiring from UCSF completely around mid-year. I'll probably maintain my presence here.

    --Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Dilbert
    I'm sarcastic... what's your super power? --Unknown
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If you've signed up and are having trouble posting, please check your spam folder. An email was sent to the email address which you subscribed. You have to follow the instructions in that email. Done that and still having trouble posting? Contact Joe O'Brien at jpobrien@scoliosis.org.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •