Kinda New Here - Surgery this Summer - Dr. Neuwirth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kinda New Here - Surgery this Summer - Dr. Neuwirth

Hi everyone. I’m kind of new, its been several years since I posted and I haven’t really kept up on reading the forum. I am considering surgery this summer with Dr. Neuwirth and have some questions. Just a little background: Over the past 10 years my curves have progressed from 25 to 70 degrees, I have a listhesis, and stenosis. The pain has increased and my right leg gets very weak (numb?) at times. I have seen surgeons Boachi, Lonner, Errico and Neuwirth in NYC - all of whom concur approx. T2 to Sacrum fusion is necessary. My first choice is Dr. Neuwirth. However, I am a bit concerned because he seems much older. I was wondering if anyone has had surgery with him recently or has any info? I don’t think he would perform surgery if he didn’t believe he could, but should his age be a concern to me? Any advice is much appreciated. Thank you.

I wouldn’t think he would do a full fusion alone....so chances are that he would have another scoliosis surgeon with him.

In my case years ago, it was the other way around, I thought my surgeon was young....I had 2 scoliosis surgeons and a vascular surgeon for my ALIF from the front.

Ed
    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
      I wouldn’t think he would do a full fusion alone....so chances are that he would have another scoliosis surgeon with him.

Ed
      In Spring of 2015, I visited Dr. Neuwirth for the second time (the first seven years ago). Yes, he has an assistant operating with him - probably more than one depending on the patient's specific needs as in Ed's instance.
      Last edited by Back-out; 12-13-2016, 09:55 AM.
      Not all diagnosed (still having tests and consults) but so far:
      Ehler-Danlos (hyper-mobility) syndrome, 69 - somehow,
      main curve L Cobb 60, compensating T curve ~ 30
      Flat back, marked lumbar kyphosis (grade?) Spondilolisthesis - everyone gives this a different grade too. Cervical stenosis op'd 3-07, minimally invasive

Comment

Thanks!

Thanks so much for the replies! I figured he might have help, so that's good to know. I just found out that Dr. Lenke is now in NY, so I'm trying to get an appointment with him. I'm worried that I might be right on or below his 70 degree cutoff point though, but I'm going to try. Thanks for the info!

Comment

Dr. Lonner

Originally posted by ripley View Post
          Thanks so much for the replies! I figured he might have help, so that's good to know. I just found out that Dr. Lenke is now in NY, so I'm trying to get an appointment with him. I'm worried that I might be right on or below his 70 degree cutoff point though, but I'm going to try. Thanks for the info!
          I vote for Dr. Lonner, I also went to Neuwirth and Lonner seemed more at the top of his game. I'm over the top happy with my results! Merry 🎄 Christmas.
          Cathy
          2 sons, one Syracuse University graduate (working for the Mets now), one college sophomore, one great husband and two fabulous cats
          54 years old March 5
          AIS 45 degrees Thoracic at 14, Milwaukee brace for one year in 1977 then in 2012 I found Dr. Baron Lonner ❤️
          Surgery April 8 2015
          Presurgical curves T77 L66
          Post surgical T27 L22
          Fused T3-S1 pelvic fixation, osteotomies and all the other stuff but you know what? It's done...

Comment

I have read good things about Dr. Lonner on the forum, however, I think the world of Dr. Lenke. He might take you since your curve has increased quite a bit over 10 years.
            Last edited by golfnut; 12-27-2016, 08:02 PM.
            Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
            Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
            70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
            Rib Hump-GONE!
            Age-60 at the time of surgery
            Now 66
            Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
            Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
            Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
            Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
            tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
            http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Thank you!

Thank you Karen, I made an appointment with Dr. Lenke for the end of February. I've seen his name come up here quite a bit and the amount of correction he seems to get is amazing. I wanted to see him before but Minnesota was too far and my curves weren't 70 then. I was excited to learn he is in NY now. (BTW, I watched your golf video and it is very encouraging! You look great - not stiff at all. I've been so worried, but seeing how well you move has helped me to calm down a bit! Thank you!)

Comment

Ripley,
                I definitely have way more flexibility now than that video of my first golf outing. I should post a recent one sometime. I truly could not imagine swinging a golf club with long rods in my back, but it's so much better than I imagined. I know I improved with flexibility even past my second year anniversary. I was unbelievably cautious during my first year, but I think it paid off in the long run.
                Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                Rib Hump-GONE!
                Age-60 at the time of surgery
                Now 66
                Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Working...
                X