4-month check up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4-month check up

Hi, everybody. Just thought I'd give an update - even though I don't have anything very exciting to say!

I had my xrays at 3-1/2 months but ended up going to Minneapolis shortly after that for business and was lucky enough to get an appointment with Dr. Perra - so I was able to discuss my x-rays in person with him rather than receive a letter in the mail.

He said my hardware looked good - it showed no movement. My incisions look good, I was moving good and in general I looked good. So I guess that was all good news! I didn't have a very long list of questions for him - at this point this Forum seems to be answering all my questions!

I still have tight muscles on my left lumbar area - but the pain level seems to be tapering down to not much pain. Unless, of course, I over do things - which I have done a number of times. He said that tenderness is normal for up to a year - that he stretched those muscles a lot in surgery.

I had started PT and 3-1/2 months post op. All I do is isometric exercises - right now I just do core strengthening and also exercises to stretch my hips & hamstrings. I am still SUPER tight - I can hardly bend over at all. So Dr. Perra wants me to really focus on stretching my hamstrings.

I feel really good (considering) but I feel like I am still riding the roller coaster. I have days where I'm really energetic, and I have days where I'm just dragging. I've been reading old posts and I've come to the conclusion that this is normal at 4 months post op. My sleep pattern is better - when I'm not sleeping well I don't think it's from surgery (I guess it could be, I don't know). I'm not taking any meds so I know it's not that. I just assume it's my age!

I still live life fairly conservative and careful - I'm still too afraid of ruining something. But, on our trip to Minneapolis, we were there 5 days for a combination of work and a family situation. I tolerated sleeping on my son's couch and hotel beds for 4 nights and the long drive pretty well! I was exhausted when we got home and it took me a day to recover.

I walk 60 - 90 minutes per day in 20 - 25 minute chunks. I still struggle with some hip pain on my left hip - it's not bad but it's still there. For some reason, I seem to be very prone to getting bursitis on my left side - that's why I continue to walk short distances.

I find that I still have to lay down during the day on some days, but it seems to be getting less. However, there are nights when I'm kicking myself for being on my feet too long.....

Anyway, I'm still chugging along with this recovery. I'm so thankful for all of you. I continue to read old posts and search for various topics - reading what everyone has been dealing with in the last 5 years really helps me to know that I am normal (well, as normal as I can be with scoliosis!).

Kathy
    Decompression surgery L4/L5
    April 3, 2015
    Twin Cities Spine Center - Dr. Joseph Perra
    Fused from T11 - Sacrum anterior/posterior
    June 24, 2016 - 55 years old at surgery
    Before Surgery: 42 degrees lumbar, 28 degrees thoracic
    After Surgery: 10 degrees lumbar, ?? Thoracic
    2 inches taller

Kathy,
    I had my surgery almost 6 years ago and after being a daily reader of the forum and posting often, I check in infrequently now. You sound right on target, if not better than average, for 4 months post-op. I did very little for months other than walking and a few exercises that Dr. Lenke's physical therapist gave me to do while laying on my back on the bed. I followed the" no bend, no lift,no twist" restrictions for over 6 months and I have to think that it paid off. Best of luck with a smooth recovery.
    Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
    Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
    70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
    Rib Hump-GONE!
    Age-60 at the time of surgery
    Now 66
    Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
    Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
    Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
    Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
    tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
    http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Originally posted by golfnut View Post
      Kathy,
      I had my surgery almost 6 years ago and after being a daily reader of the forum and posting often, I check in infrequently now. You sound right on target, if not better than average, for 4 months post-op. I did very little for months other than walking and a few exercises that Dr. Lenke's physical therapist gave me to do while laying on my back on the bed. I followed the" no bend, no lift,no twist" restrictions for over 6 months and I have to think that it paid off. Best of luck with a smooth recovery.
      Thanks for your reply, Karen. I also follow the "no bend, no lift, no twist" rule. I still don't life more than 10 pounds and even at that, I hold it close to my body. My PT has worked with scoliosis patients, and did part of his training for that with doctors in CA so I really trust him. He is VERY mindful of my back and lack of movement and definitely has the "slow but sure" approach. My husband set up a table with pads strapped on so they don't slip for me to do my PT on since I can't get on the floor - and I thought the bed was a little too soft. It works great - I just move very slowly getting on and off so I don't fall.

Ed - thanks for the comment. I AM listening..... taking it slow!

Kathy
      Decompression surgery L4/L5
      April 3, 2015
      Fused from T11 - Sacrum anterior/posterior
      June 24, 2016 - 55 years old at surgery
      Before Surgery: 42 degrees lumbar, 28 degrees thoracic
      After Surgery: 10 degrees lumbar, ?? Thoracic
      2 inches taller

Comment

Working...