Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling for help: Oral Histories of Scoliosis

Hello all,

I'm using my mom's old account, because I've been having difficulty getting mine activated. So if anyone here happens to remember Sherie from around 2007...just know that this is actually Shina, her daughter. :^)

I wasn't sure if I should post this here or in the section for adult patients, but I'm looking for people in the central Texas region (Austin, San Antonio, and anything in that surrounding area...could also possibly do Houston, though it could be a logistical challenge for me) who would be willing to help me with my research! I am a graduate student of history, and my area of focus right now is the history of scoliosis--and back problems, in general.

I had the surgery myself, and also underwent bracing, so this topic is very near and dear to my heart. I've found that we're a very poorly represented group in academic history, so I would like to change that. Unfortunately, that means I have to dig a little harder than some of my colleagues to find sources. That's where I would greatly appreciate some help from the scoliosis community!

One of the courses that I'm in right now is having us conduct "oral histories". This might sound like an interview, but it's more like a conversation where someone tells me about some aspect of their life (think kitchen table chats between a parent/grandparent and their child/grandchild). I'm looking for two people who would be willing to share their past experiences with scoliosis. I do have a few requirements for this:
    1. Must be someone who either had surgery, or at least has a curve severe enough that it would merit surgery.
    2. Adults only, please! The longer ago that you had your operation, the better... I don't want to narrow it down too much, because I fear I won't be able to find enough people in my area, but if you are an older individual who has past experiences you could share, please consider helping me out! Not only would you be filling in the gaps in my research, but you would also be leaving a legacy behind for future generations of scholars, who might be able to use these oral histories for their own studies.
    3. Again, must be someone in my area. My professor is very adamant that these must be conducted in person.

If you don't meet these requirements, but know someone who possibly does, I would also be very grateful for a reference!

Please feel free to ask me any questions about this project. Thank you in advance for any support you all would be willing to provide!

Hi Shina! I remember your mother and you.

Congratulations on being in grad school. Your thesis topic sounds interesting. I hope some people volunteer. There was a patient, Pam, who used to post who I think lived somewhere in Texas. You could PM her. (http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/membe...53-txmarinemom)

Good luck with your research.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

I also remember you and your mom.....How is your fusion doing?

Pam would be excellent if you can get a hold of her....

I would recommend reading “In the Sands of Berck” by Yves Cotrel He traveled the world and met every scoliosis surgeon many years ago.....Berck, France was where the hospital was and the sands of the beach were a safe place for recovery....

Ed
      49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
      Pre surgery curves T70,L70
      ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
      Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Thank you both so much for your replies and suggestions, I really appreciate it! I think I've actually met Pam, before? It was a long time ago, so I don't remember very clearly; I'll have to ask my mom.

And my fusion is doing very well, thank you; Dr. Lenke did a marvelous job. The 10-year anniversary of my operation is coming up next year, so I'm hoping that it'll coincide with the completion of my thesis.

(Also, I just looked that book up, and it looks like I'll definitely need to add this to my to-read list... It sounds fascinating!)

Comment

Working...
        X