EMG confirms nerve compression at L5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMG confirms nerve compression at L5

I injured something a few months ago by extreme squatting and reaching. I did not fall and wasn't pushed. I just moved quickly to reach the floor. I knew something pulled hard from my lower spine. I ended up with a partial tare in my hamstring. I did PT for that but my leg keeps going numb.
    I went to the spine doctor and he found that my leg and foot had no reflexes. He ordered an MRI and it showed the hamstring problem. Today I had an EMG and it proved a nerve compression at L5. The surgeon told me before the EMG that it can't be my spine because it is fused. Ok so what else can it be? The MRI showed no hip problem. I say something pulled in the spine and then the problem.
    I will see the surgeon next week to discuss this but does any one have any idea what else can be compressing the nerve. I know the longer it is compressed the more permanent the nerve damage is . Any ideas?
    T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
    C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
    T2--T10 fusion 2/11
    C 4-5 fusion 11/14
    Right scapulectomy 6/15
    Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
    To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
    Broken neck 9/28/2018
    Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
    Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
    Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
    Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
    Osteotomy

Originally posted by jackieg412 View Post
    Today I had an EMG and it proved a nerve compression at L5.
    A bone spur?

Ed
    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

That is a possibility but I thought a bone spur would show on the MRI. Maybe they need to look again.
      T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
      C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
      T2--T10 fusion 2/11
      C 4-5 fusion 11/14
      Right scapulectomy 6/15
      Broken neck 9/28/2018
      Osteotomy

Comment

Any possibility of a bony overgrowth from the fusion? I think Tamena had that and it was a relatively minor fix.
        Gayle, age 50
        Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
        Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
        Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
        2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
        2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Ow

When I had the bone on top of the nerve it did not really show up on the ct. On the mylogram it only looked like a sliver of an egg shell. Once they went in to look is when they realized it was much larger than an egg shell. It was growth from th bmp that could have possibly been displaced during the irrigation of the area. I do know that with bmp overgrowth can happen over time. So a bone spur is a likey possibility that might not show up on any imaging.

Tamena.
          Diagnosed at age 12 with a double major curve

Braced till age 15

SSBOB T12-L2 Anterior age 34. (October 22,2012) Dr. Robert Gaines Jr. ( Columbia, MO)

Revision Surgery T2-Sacrum with Pelvic Fixation Prosterior age 35 (November 13,2013) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Revision Surgery L4/L5 due to BMP Complication age 36 (November 20,2014) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, Mo)

Revision Surgery due to broken rod scheduled for October 19, 2016 with Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Comment

Thank you for the information. It has been awhile since lumbar fusion and bmp was used. All lumbar was doing fine until I did that move. I felt the extreme pull in the low spine. I really thought I pulled a muscle but it wouldn't go away . I was dealing with the arm issue and had that surgery. Then that recovery which is going well.
            Back to the leg problem. I saw the spine surgeon this past Thursday and he reviewed the EMG. According to him the EMG is "grossly abnormal". That doesn't sound too good to me. He is still saying it can't be the spine became it is fused. So he took another look at the MRI and the radiologist never mentioned this but when he found the scan comparing the sciatic nerves the image shows the effected leg's nerve is greatly enlarged. He told me he doesn't know what it is and has never seen this. He also said he doesn't know who to ask for help. So he ordered a pet scan that I will have next week. I questioned him on why this type of test and he said he needs as much information as he can get. He also said he didn't see any tumors. I told him he was scaring me. But he just kept saying I really have never seen this and I don't know why it is happening. He said the enlarged sciatic nerve can be the reaction to a nerve injury.
            If any one has another idea please post.
            T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
            C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
            T2--T10 fusion 2/11
            C 4-5 fusion 11/14
            Right scapulectomy 6/15
            Broken neck 9/28/2018