Sleeping position post op?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sleeping position post op?

To: Anyone who had the "full monty", i.e. from the base of your neck to the beginning of your buttocks: How sore is the incision area? Can anyone sleep on their back? This is the make or break issue for me. They messed something up in my 1998 PLIF fusion surgery. I used to sleep perfectly on my left side. After the body cast came off in 98, I could not lay on either side for more than a few hours without developing a deep ache in both front thighs. Bad enough to wake me up, or keep me from falling asleep. This is my biggest concern now. I'm satisfied Hopkins can keep my pain levels tolerable while in hospital, but if I can't sleep on my back, and/or they can't figure out the cause of this bilateral thigh pain, I guess the surgery is off. From all of the posts and YouTube videos, it seems like the first 6 months are Hell. I'm still game if that is the case, but everyone needs to sleep, if for no other reason than advancing the healing. Please post with your experiences sleeping after the ASD correction surgery (w/ dozens of screws, posts, rods, etc...). I would appreciate it. RJM

Do you have a memory foam bed or topper on your bed? You may find that helpful. I can sleep on my left side or back and do wake up to change position. Right side not so much. But it may be because of my shoulder and scapula.
    T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
    C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
    T2--T10 fusion 2/11
    C 4-5 fusion 11/14
    Right scapulectomy 6/15
    Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
    To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
    Broken neck 9/28/2018
    Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
    Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
    Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
    Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
    Osteotomy

Comment

I am fused from C2 -pelvis. From the first night after surgery , I slept on my back. I did have a memory foam topper . It made a big difference. I continue to sleep that way five years later.
      Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

I ordered a body pillow off of amazon that I put behind me when I sleep on my side and it is large enough to bring up between my knees as well. It helps a lot with positioning and support.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also have a sleep number bed that has a base that moves up and down and that helps as well.

Comment

Thanks

Misty, Thx for the reply. I have a Tempur Pedic mattress and an adjustable base. Lots of folks have recommended a 4" memory foam mattress topper. I see the surgeon on 9-28, have to set up the date then if I'm going to do it. I'll make sure the topper is waiting at whatever rehab facility they send me to. Take Care, RJM

Comment

Working...
          X