Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mild scoliosis 32yo - please advise

Dear all,

I am glad I have found this forum. I would like to ask for your kind advice. I have mild scoliosis which I noticed, when I was 17yrs old and started to exercise in the gym - it felt kinda wierd and assymetrical. At that time I have visited many physiotherapists as well as orthopedic doctors and unfortunately noone has spotted that i had scoliosis. I tried some exrcises etc without success and have tried dozens of professionals in the last years.

2 weeks ago I went to take xrays to see how my scoliosis is, and it is 8 degrees thoracic and 15 degress lumblar. 24yo i went to take xrays and they had about 1/2 the degrees compared to now, however, those were the images taken when I was laying on the platform, while the current ones were taken when I was standing. Are horizontal images compareable with images while standing?

I know the curves are small, but the rotation in rib cage really bothers me for 15 yrs due to feeling of continuous stress on the right side of my ribcage and also general feeling of assymetry.

My big questions are:
    1) will it progress with age?
    2) Can i do something effective to stop progression?
    3) Can I do anything to start straightening my "mildly" (but noticeably felt) rotated thorax in my age? Even if it would take several yrs?
    4) Will orthotics improve my curve in thorax?

Many thanks for your kind advice.
    Attached Files

Originally posted by Mikhail View Post
    Dear all,

I am glad I have found this forum. I would like to ask for your kind advice. I have mild scoliosis which I noticed, when I was 17yrs old and started to exercise in the gym - it felt kinda wierd and assymetrical. At that time I have visited many physiotherapists as well as orthopedic doctors and unfortunately noone has spotted that i had scoliosis. I tried some exrcises etc without success and have tried dozens of professionals in the last years.

2 weeks ago I went to take xrays to see how my scoliosis is, and it is 8 degrees thoracic and 15 degress lumblar. 24yo i went to take xrays and they had about 1/2 the degrees compared to now, however, those were the images taken when I was laying on the platform, while the current ones were taken when I was standing. Are horizontal images compareable with images while standing?

I know the curves are small, but the rotation in rib cage really bothers me for 15 yrs due to feeling of continuous stress on the right side of my ribcage and also general feeling of assymetry.

My big questions are:
    1) will it progress with age?
    2) Can i do something effective to stop progression?
    3) Can I do anything to start straightening my "mildly" (but noticeably felt) rotated thorax in my age? Even if it would take several yrs?
    4) Will orthotics improve my curve in thorax?

Many thanks for your kind advice.
    Hi Mikhail...

Xrays taken in the prone or supine position cannot be compared to standing xrays. Even most large curves straighten out at least somewhat when the person is prone or supine.

I understand that you feel like you have a lot of rotation. I can tell from your films that you have a little bit, but it probably feels worse than it actually is. It's very unlikely that your curve will progress to the point where it needs treatment. If you feel like you have to do something, you might want to consider something like yoga or pilates, or look into Schroth or other torso rotation therapies. They can strengthen your muscles so that you hold yourself in a derotated position.

By the way, there are several other young males who have participated here, and who are very similar to you. I'm not sure why, but young males seem to actually be far more sensitive about having a "deformity" than young females. I put "deformity" in quotes, because you don't really have one. :-)

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Thank you

Linda,

Thank you very much for your reply. Yes its true - i know a few girls with scoliosis bigger than mine and they dont feel a thing. I think it is about how much the person does sports and how good proprioception is. I constantly feel I am in a wrong posture, but I dont have control over those muscles, which would put me to correct one.

I feel a good chiropractor is able to adjust me to almost correct vertebral alignment, but it doesnt hold. Plus I feel constant strain between my right scapula and the spine (next to vertebral joint where the curve is).

I know there are people with far worse cases out there. Still i often feel depressed and have been trying for 15 yrs to resolve it...

Comment

Tried CLEAR intensive care and unhappy

Dear folks,

I have just finished 2 weeks of clear intensive care amd just want to share I am unhappy - range of motion has improved and got leveled for both sides (movements of head and torso), which is a good thing.

Posture has improved slightly - my head is more vertical now and also some cervical lordosis has been restored.

However - xray images show MORE rotation and bend in the lumblar spine!!! Is it possible that thw treatment has increased the curve (while all exercises were aimed to derotate)? Or is it just a natural variation of the body postures? Im scared i screwed something up.

In any case If I knew the outcome I wouldnt have spent the fortune. I dont regret - its just money amd one has to try everything. Howver want to share my negative experience. I wont tell which doctor, but generally - dont expect miracles as I was expecting with my relatively low curve.

Comment

Mikhail

Chiropractic adjustments will not straighten your spine. I did Chiro for almost 30 years for pain control....

How much were the Clear sessions? Just wondering. And was that for 2 weeks? How many sessions?

Your spine looks fine. I wouldn’t worry....

Ed
          49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
          Pre surgery curves T70,L70
          ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
          Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

6000 usd wasted..