Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sciatica

Hi All,
    Yet again I have developed sciatica of the left leg this time. I knew in January that I pulled something from the low spine doing a squat movement. I felt a strong pull from the center of my body. Then it got sore to sit or walk in the back of my leg. Then my foot went numb. It can be aggravated by going up hill or steps.
    I didn't know if it was a spine problem so I made an appointment in June and hip X-rays were taken. No problems showed up in the hip. That was the good news. I did a session of PT to stretch the hamstring but it kept making it worse. I tried ice,rest behavior modifications and the heat. The doctor that checked the hip said he thought it was coming from the spine.
    I had an appointment with the spine surgeon last week. Since there are new symptoms that were not there last year I thought he should check. After listening to me he immediately said your spine is fused so it shouldn't be that.
    However he did some in office tests that indicates that there is nerve infringement down my leg and a positive sign for sciatica. Then he got much more involved.
    He said I needed an MRI of the sciatic nerve and a small muscle coming off the L4-S2 called the periformis. He believes that it is impinging on the nerve.
    Has anyone heard of this in relation to sciatica? Could that be what I felt pull when I did a deep squat? All of the changes I've made aren't helping. The only thing that helps is to lay down. Then the numbness lessens. Sitting is impossible .
    I am still healing from the muscle transfer to my scapula so I have been not as active as I had been.
    Has anyone dealt with this? Any info will be appreciated.
    T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
    C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
    T2--T10 fusion 2/11
    C 4-5 fusion 11/14
    Right scapulectomy 6/15
    Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
    To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
    Broken neck 9/28/2018
    Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
    Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
    Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
    Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
    Osteotomy

Jackie

You might read up on this. Standing position, of course.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piriformis_syndrome

There are a few piriformis posts here.....

Take it easy....Deep breaths

Ed
    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Thanks Ed. I did read this. We have done the stretch and some of the strengthening in PT. It seems to aggravate the nerve. Twice I was unable to get up. It took awhile and help. That bothers me because I was always able to get up before. The doctor checked the reflexes and his comment was where did they go. I took it to mean that something had changed and now the reflexes in the involved leg weren't right.
      He also wrote a note to be off work until he gets the results of the MRI. Such a pain!!!
      T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
      C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
      T2--T10 fusion 2/11
      C 4-5 fusion 11/14
      Right scapulectomy 6/15
      Broken neck 9/28/2018
      Osteotomy

Comment

I checked some of the old posts on this subject but a lot of them hadn't had surgery yet or not fused to the pelvis yet. I have been fused to pelvis for 7 years and this started in January. I have tried all kinds of things but it just gets worse. No sitting other then the car when I can't help it. Small stretching all day and avoiding steps. Ice packs and heating pad. Pain is in high thigh but numbness is in the entire leg.I have to be careful not to fall.
        T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
        C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
        T2--T10 fusion 2/11
        C 4-5 fusion 11/14
        Right scapulectomy 6/15
        Broken neck 9/28/2018
        Osteotomy

Comment

Originally posted by jackieg412 View Post
          I checked some of the old posts on this subject but a lot of them hadn't had surgery yet or not fused to the pelvis yet. I have been fused to pelvis for 7 years and this started in January. I have tried all kinds of things but it just gets worse. No sitting other then the car when I can't help it. Small stretching all day and avoiding steps. Ice packs and heating pad. Pain is in high thigh but numbness is in the entire leg.I have to be careful not to fall.
          I have it too. It gets terrible at times. There isn't much for it when you're in crisis other than anti-inflammatories, ice/heat, rest, and whatever PT you can do (usually not much when you're in crisis though). Sometimes pain meds help a bit, and a good long soak in the tub with Epsom salts (studies show they really do work!). I use Solarase, a topical gel anti-inflammatory, it helps tremendously! Try to avoid any vibration, it will aggravate the hell out of it! That includes being in a car. I ended up buying a couple of three-inch thick memory foam cushions (tempur-like) to cut down on the vibration in the car as that material does not transfer motion. Keep away from hot tub\Jacuzzi jets, they will kill you!!!

Good luck to you, I hope it gets better for you.
          -Allison
          "The plural of anecdote is not data" --Frank Kotsonis

Ph.D. in Bone Biology
          Harrington rod and Leuke sublaminar wires 2/1986, fused T4 to T12.
          First revision 3/1987 fused pseudoarthrosis, placed CD instrumentation from T10-T12.
          CD instrumentation removal 10/97 following breakage.
          Leuke wire removal 4/99.
          Salvage surgery; Harrington removal 1/2000, fused to L2.
          Ruptured disc, fusion extension to L4 3/2016.
          Surgeons: David Bradford, Francois Denis, Mike Lagrone

Comment

Thank for your reply. It seems so minor but when it acts up it can take your breath away from the pain. Do you know if it comes from the spine or something else or both. I had an MRI on Thursday and it flared in the MRI. I am looking forward to the results. I try to avoid the triggers but it is hard.
            T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
            C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
            T2--T10 fusion 2/11
            C 4-5 fusion 11/14
            Right scapulectomy 6/15
            Broken neck 9/28/2018
            Osteotomy

Comment

Originally posted by Prfbones View Post
              There isn't much for it when you're in crisis other than anti-inflammatories, ice/heat, rest, and whatever PT you can do (usually not much when you're in crisis though). Sometimes pain meds help a bit, and a good long soak in the tub with Epsom salts (studies show they really do work!).
              -Allison
              Allison, Its nice to see a post like this, I have been posting about the benefits of NSAID’s and also hot water soaks around here for years.....Hot water works quite well, 106 degrees (check with a thermometer) removes bone and nerve pain in seconds. It has to take a few minutes to actually get in the water.....Of course, drink plenty of water when you do this since you lose it soaking and will get dehydrated. Depending on your tax situation, if you have a note from a doctor, you can write off a hot tub or any medical or scoliosis supplies. The tub needs to be deep so you can float.

Jackie, let us know.

“Sciatica like” hip and leg posts with complaints immediately after scoliosis surgery are scary things......I had the intense hip and leg “sciatica type pain” going on for years, but my whole lumbar was wiped out. When multiple doctors shake their heads, you kinda know. After a surgery you wonder if it could be a nerve root or other spinal nerve or spinal cord disc related cause....Inflammation happens, and we do get raw, its time for a scoliosis “time out” where we need to lay low for a bit. It hard to pinpoint pain and its source.

We do heal you know.....This is no concept, and sometimes we do need to be reminded when in trouble. I have had that happen where I was in major pain, recovered with rest and walked around chanting “we do heal, imagine that” like a zombie. Nerve related pain can be stubborn.....very stubborn, and time is a test. No medium setting, just on or off like a light switch.

Take it easy.....breathe when in intense pain, it helps.

Ed

My x-rays

Comment

So far here is the surgeon take on the problem. He has absolutely no idea of what is causing this problem in my left leg. I squatted in January and felt the strong pull from my lower spine. It was sore and I thought I pulled a muscle. It didn't let up and had pelvic X-rays which led to a diagnosis of a pulled hamstring. Started PT but my leg kept getting numb. So we stopped it and I made an appointment with spine doctor. first he ordered an MRI of the pelvis and the report said I had a torn hamstring. I had him recheck the leg and there were no reflexes so he ordered an EMG. The neurologist told me there was a nerve compression at L5.
                Today the spine surgeon said the EMG was grossly abnormal and he has no idea why because my spine is fused. So he took another look at the MRI and said the sciatic nerve on the affected leg was enlarged and he has never seen that nor does he know who can help figure it out. So he ordered a pet scan and I am to go in immediately after to see him.
                Any one have any thoughts. Can a nerve be stretched and then swell up? It is not possible to sit on it the pain is unbearable. I can stand to make it better but it is numb most of the time and getting harder to walk. Not good.
                T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
                C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
                T2--T10 fusion 2/11
                C 4-5 fusion 11/14
                Right scapulectomy 6/15
                Broken neck 9/28/2018
                Osteotomy

Comment

Jackie and everyone....

I just stumbled across this....Can you guys take a peek at this? Stem cell therapy for spine and .....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRSHT89uvws

http://medrebels.com/

http://medrebels.com/about/

Always hopeful

Ed

My x-rays

Comment

Very interesting Ed. Yes we always need to remain hopeful. Anyone know a reason for the sciatic nerve to enlarge. At least it appears that way on the MRI. And the surgeon stated the EMG was "grossly abnormal" I need to ask the surgeon what he is looking for on the Pet scan
                    T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
                    C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
                    T2--T10 fusion 2/11
                    C 4-5 fusion 11/14
                    Right scapulectomy 6/15
                    Broken neck 9/28/2018
                    Osteotomy

Comment

Good stuff, Ed. If I need more work done on my back in the future, I hope this technology is in place! Also, if I've passed my scoliosis genes on to my kids or grandkids, I hope they can benefit from this as well.

Hopeful too,
                      Kathy
                      Decompression surgery L4/L5
                      April 3, 2015
                      Twin Cities Spine Center - Dr. Joseph Perra
                      Fused from T11 - Sacrum anterior/posterior
                      June 24, 2016 - 55 years old at surgery
                      Twin Cities Spine Center - Dr. Joseph Perra
                      Before Surgery: 42 degrees lumbar, 28 degrees thoracic
                      After Surgery: 10 degrees lumbar, ?? Thoracic
                      2 inches taller

Comment

Are you sure it's a pet scan and not a mylogram? Pet scans are not normal used for low back. They are used for finding cancer in organs and tissue. Or for finding heart or brain problems. So I am a bit confused by this.
                        Tamena
                        Diagnosed at age 12 with a double major curve

Braced till age 15

SSBOB T12-L2 Anterior age 34. (October 22,2012) Dr. Robert Gaines Jr. ( Columbia, MO)

Revision Surgery T2-Sacrum with Pelvic Fixation Prosterior age 35 (November 13,2013) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Revision Surgery L4/L5 due to BMP Complication age 36 (November 20,2014) Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, Mo)

Revision Surgery due to broken rod scheduled for October 19, 2016 with Dr. Michael Kelly (St. Louis, MO)

Comment

Yes I am sure it is a pet scan . It seems highly unusual to me so I emailed the doctor after the appointment as to why this type of test and his reply was he needs as much information as he can get. I know this is used for a few different reasons and the main one is cancer but he said he didn't see any tumors. When I looked the Pet scan up it said it can also show the function of nerves.
                          It is unnerving to me because he just keeps saying that he hasn't seen this before and doesn't know what is causing it. He doesn't know who can help him figure it out.
                          I need to ask how can a squatting motion injure the sciatic nerve to this degree.
                          I know Susan had a severe problem from a screw and if I remember right at first some issues were coming and then seeming better . That is where I am now. Just very UNNERVING.
                          Last edited by jackieg412; 09-17-2016, 12:29 PM.
                          T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
                          C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
                          T2--T10 fusion 2/11
                          C 4-5 fusion 11/14
                          Right scapulectomy 6/15
                          Broken neck 9/28/2018
                          Osteotomy

Comment

Today is the day that I get the results of the Pet scan. It was definitely a unique test,but I hope it holds the answer.
                            T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
                            C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
                            T2--T10 fusion 2/11
                            C 4-5 fusion 11/14
                            Right scapulectomy 6/15
                            Broken neck 9/28/2018
                            Osteotomy

Comment

Jackie

Anything conclusive?

Ed

My x-rays

Comment

Working...
                              X