Body alignment post-surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body alignment post-surgery

I am probably too early yet in my recovery, but when do you feel, um, I guess connected to your back? I still feel like it is this board-straight element on my body I am trying to move around. I feel unnatural walking, I realized I am not really swinging my arms naturally but they kinda hang there. I have a tendency to want to raise my shoulders when I walk too. I just feel sooo tight. I have read enough posts to know this is probably normal but when do you loosen up?

From a visual standpoint, the change is remarkable and I really feel normal for the first time since I was 12. I never dreamed the deformity could be so corrected. It was something I never let bother me on the outside but the last few years it has been more and more difficult to wear regular clothes. I am excited to start this second chapter of my life but it is taking all my patience. Stir-crazy at 6 weeks should be my new profile name!

Finally, the hook that is protruding as a bump at the very top of my back is pretty noticeable, but nothing compared to what my back used to look like. My surgeon said he could go back in a year after fusion to clip it down. Would you go this? I am thinking if it isn't hurting me, why go through another surgery? I really don't want to see an OR ever again!

Thanks everyone!
    Jana
    Diagnosed with idiopathic scoliosis at age 11
    Dr. Edgar Dawson of UCLA
    Braced and "stopped" below 50 degrees
    Age 25: 47 degrees, 48 degrees
    Age 38 (3 babies later): 60 degrees, 63 degrees and 2.5 inches shorter
    Age 41: 64 degrees, 70 degrees
    Dr. Gregory Mundis Jr. of Scripps Hospital, La Jolla CA
    June 2015-ALIF on L5-S1 for a slipped and degenerated disk
    June 14, 2016-T4-L4 spinal fusion with instrumentation
    Post-surgery: 16 degrees, 12 degrees and 2 inches taller

Hi Jana....

I honestly can't remember when I started feeling normal in terms of how I was standing and walking. I can tell you that if I think about it, I still feel different than I did before surgery. At some point, it just became relatively acceptable.

If the hook bothers you enough, having it removed should be a relatively easy surgery. If it doesn't bother you, I would definitely not have it removed. Even though it's a small surgery, there are surgical risks.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Working...
    X