Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A few adults have had vertebral body tethering (VBT)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few adults have had vertebral body tethering (VBT)

Per a member of this forum, a few adults have been tethered.

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...771#post166771

Adults who need fusion and want to investigate this, should go to this site:

http://www.spineandscoliosis.com/pro...sis-treatment/
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Yes, there are some requirements. Flexibility is a necessary condition.

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
      Per a member of this forum, a few adults have been tethered.

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...771#post166771

Adults who need fusion and want to investigate this, should go to this site:

http://www.spineandscoliosis.com/pro...sis-treatment/
      I am happy to see that the most mature patient's xrays have made it into the homepage of the above link; she feels great, too! There are three VBT forums that I know of; one is UK oriented (there are at least two surgeons performing VBT in the UK, and patients there are thrilled not to travel as far anymore) and two US based. All have international members.

Anyone interested in joining a VBT/VBS specific forum for themselves or their child can find them on a fb search or email me at felvuse@hotmail.com
      Emily, 43
      approx 50 T, 36 T/L

Comment

Since VBT/VBS is science-based, all those people can post here on NSF to reach more people.

These people generally have before and after radiographs, something that is often notably missing for conservative treatments. It's this kind of evidence that can inform people.
        Last edited by Pooka1; 07-20-2016, 05:56 AM.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

People thinking in surgery must to be aware that fusion is an over one century old technique, and that the new technologies used in that old kind of scoliosis surgery, doesn't change nothing that fact.
          Vbt on the other hand, really seems to be the kind of surgery according to the century we live in!.
          Last edited by flerc; 07-20-2016, 08:21 AM.

Comment

Since VBT/VBS is science-based, all those people can post here on NSF to reach more people.

These people generally have before and after radiographs, something that is often notably missing for conservative treatments. It's this kind of evidence that can inform people.
            Hi Pooka, these forums are closed in their privacy and confidentiality, but open in that more more members may join. Part of the reason there is a VBT forum, (and it was in a forum format like this years ago (with more emphasis on VBS back then) but has transitioned to facebook forum,) is to keep the topic a very narrow focus. It is all VBS/ VBT/ hybrid oriented. It covers hospital packing lists, questions to ask, lists of files to include surgeons performing it, post op, insurance, pain issues and medications, patient meetups, but ONLY in this limited scope of VBS/ VBT. It is here to fill a void that was not covered in other forums. We are tolerant of other people's opinions and feelings, and veteran VBT families help 'newbies' learn the ropes and how to attain this amazing surgery. You know if MariaF has a hand in it, it is good.

I don't foresee it moving to NSF; it was in this type of forum before, but actually moved to fb which seems to be the wave of social media nowadays.
            Emily, 43
            approx 50 T, 36 T/L

Comment

Originally posted by 3sisters View Post
              Hi Pooka, these forums are closed in their privacy and confidentiality, but open in that more more members may join. Part of the reason there is a VBT forum, (and it was in a forum format like this years ago (with more emphasis on VBS back then) but has transitioned to facebook forum,) is to keep the topic a very narrow focus. It is all VBS/ VBT/ hybrid oriented. It covers hospital packing lists, questions to ask, lists of files to include surgeons performing it, post op, insurance, pain issues and medications, patient meetups, but ONLY in this limited scope of VBS/ VBT. It is here to fill a void that was not covered in other forums. We are tolerant of other people's opinions and feelings, and veteran VBT families help 'newbies' learn the ropes and how to attain this amazing surgery. You know if MariaF has a hand in it, it is good.

I don't foresee it moving to NSF; it was in this type of forum before, but actually moved to fb which seems to be the wave of social media nowadays.
              Yes I understand that. For some reason, VBS posts were discouraged on this forum. This was before I joined. With things like that going on, you need to have a separate place to post.

The driving away of the VBS information from this forum appeared to be entirely self-inflicted and I remain perplexed about it. That is a true loss. It was never in the same category as come conservative treatments which never seem to attract people willing to post before and after radiographs. That's really the minimum for non-fusion treatments... before and after rads yet many conservative modalities can't even do that. Driving those people away is doing everyone a favor in my opinion because they never provide any evidence of efficacy.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by 3sisters View Post
                No please, it is a perfect group, nothing to do with this forum. Perfect rules, in debates is only allowed to talk about ideas, not about persons, something not conceivable here, non attacks to nobody, they don't try to convince about nothing, they has all the information that may be needed, power is not used to intimidate.. it not needs any kind of change and mainly, it should to remains where it is.

Comment

Originally posted by flerc View Post
                  People thinking in surgery must to be aware that fusion is an over one century old technique, and that the new technologies used in that old kind of scoliosis surgery, doesn't change nothing that fact.
                  Vbt on the other hand, really seems to be the kind of surgery according to the century we live in!.
                  Surgeons doing fusion should to be forced to inform patients about Vbt. Many people are having fusion because nobody told them about Vbt, it's no fair!

Comment

Originally posted by flerc View Post
                    Surgeons doing fusion should to be forced to inform patients about Vbt. Many people are having fusion because nobody told them about Vbt, it's no fair!
                    Yep.. I just had fusion surgery 2 weeks ago, I wish I knew about this before then.
                    First diagnosed July 2015, 40°
                    Follow up March 2016, 47°

Fused T4-L1 July 11, 2016 - age 18
                    Pre-surgery curve: 47°+
                    Not sure corrected curve yet

Comment

Yes I understand that. For some reason, VBS posts were discouraged on this forum. This was before I joined.
                      It was?

--Linda
                      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Originally posted by 1998golfer View Post
                        Yep.. I just had fusion surgery 2 weeks ago, I wish I knew about this before then.
                        As far as anyone knows, this surgery has been performed on one adult. It's nowhere near ready for primetime.

--Linda
                        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
                          It was?

--Linda
                          Apparently. That is the reason a separate group was created for VBS and now VBT.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

As far as anyone knows, this surgery has been performed on one adult. It's nowhere near ready for primetime.

--Linda
                            I have high hopes for tethering adults in case my daughters ever are faced with having to extend their fusions. I hope it pans out.

It seems to me that bending to either side would be exactly as restrictive as a fusion because the tether is on the side. But bending forward and back would be possible though maybe with some limited ROM depending on how tight the tether is.

I don't know but it just seems impossible that tethering could preserve close to all the bending ROM front to back but I of course don't know. If it is super tight I suspect the ROM is essentially the same as for fusion.

Maria would know about VBS but I think the situation there is similar to tethering... similar ROM bending side to side as fusion and possibly more ROM front to back than a fusion. With every vertebra stapled to the next, I am not understanding how that allows more ROM than a fusion in the stapled area.

Maybe both VBS and VBT are better at preserving discs below the treated area for some reason. That would be a good reason to staple and tether if true even if the ROM is ultimately similar to a fusion.
                            Last edited by Pooka1; 07-26-2016, 09:16 PM.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

--Linda
                              Well, being 18 and pretty flexible, maybe it could've been possible. Who knows, but this is sure exciting for the future
                              First diagnosed July 2015, 40°
                              Follow up March 2016, 47°

Fused T4-L1 July 11, 2016 - age 18
                              Pre-surgery curve: 47°+
                              Not sure corrected curve yet

Comment

Working...
                              X