SpineCor and Insurance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mariaf View Post
    As for why a surgeon would opt for achieving these results vs. full fusion, there are many reasons and benefits of VBT over full fusion.
    Burdle, as Maria said, there are benefits to tethering versus fusion. If you look at that study I posted about range of motion and stiffness with tethers versus normal, the front back bending is considerably preserved. While they did not measure against fusion, fusion would be the end member on range of motion and stiffness. Also, this is a quadruped animal study. It would be more informative if they do these measurements on people, perhaps from radiographs.

I don't know what the current thinking is among the experts but the only issue I can see where a surgeon might suggest fusion over tethering is if the spine can only be straightened enough with fusion to hope to avoid long term disc damage in the unfused areas. Dr. Hey has discussed numerous cases where even smaller curves resulted in damage to the discs over time. That's why he advocates a stitch in time approach where you get the spine as straight as possible as early as possible to hope to save levels later in life.

Dr. Boachie stated in that talk about the importance of having good alignment if you hope to preserve the discs below the fusion.

If the tether can get alignment like fusion then it is better because damage is avoided and you still have ROM.
    Last edited by Pooka1; 08-22-2016, 11:00 AM.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Is difficult to believe it, I have seen in the group an xray over 100º going to 20º or less.
      It seems that surgeons has not honest reasons to suggest fusion over tethering..

Comment

Spinecor for adults and Vbt in adults are both following the same principle: Bone remodeling. Of course they are using methods too much different, but a big difference is that Vbt surgeons seems to be wisest or more honest and they only accept people with flexible spines.

Comment

Originally posted by flerc View Post
          It seems that surgeons has not honest reasons to suggest fusion over tethering..
          I hope 3sisters is reading this. I don't expect any more complaints from her about my suggestions to flerc.
          Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
          Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by flerc View Post
            Is difficult to believe it, I have seen in the group an xray over 100º going to 20º or less.
            Flerc

Can you throw up the x-rays? I would love to see these!

Ed
            49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
            Pre surgery curves T70,L70
            ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
            Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Hi Ed, sorry but is a closed group, not public.

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
                I hope 3sisters is reading this. I don't expect any more complaints from her about my suggestions to flerc.
                Which suggestions?, I hear you. 3sisters and nobody else has nothing to do, also not with the suggestions I could do to you then.
                Last edited by flerc; 08-28-2016, 04:11 PM.

Comment

Oh, the suggestion you did me to leave this forum. Try to think in a rational, honest and healthy way and surely you will not wish anymore to see me or others thinking different to you leaving it.

Comment

Working...
                  X