No announcement yet.

14 months after surgery and need revision 😒

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes Ed that cat knows just how I felt, lol.
    Thanks😹
    Marianne
    rotoscoliosis, subluxation and spinal stenosis
    Surgery April 15, 2015 at age 67
    T11-L5
    Decompression with multiple discectomies
    Concord cages @ L2-3, L3-4, L4-5
    Osteotomies and local bone grafting
    Revision Feb.22, 2018
    Replaced rods
    Took out L5 disk to free up nerves
    Used BPM to help with fusing
    Fused T10-S1 with screws in pelvis

Comment

Yeah.....There is a lot of parallelism I guess, I hope it wasn't too heavy....the jokes even things out in the videos.

In Le vet, @ 1:22 "They pronounce me healthy as always".......is something I have heard through the years from various doctors....maybe its a positive, but deep down I knew that it was never the complete truth. Its hard to hear when you know that serious spine surgery is inevitable.....

"I am my own cat" is how I feel, or want to feel now... I know I cant have complete control, some of us cats just cant.....The cat door is closed and it seems that at some point in our lives, we all have to go back in that cat carrier back to the vet to have our dignity re-tested once again.

The good news is that we do have 9 lives....and it always works out....

Ed
      49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
      Pre surgery curves T70,L70
      ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
      Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

You go girl!

How exciting to learn that you finally have a date for surgery. On one of my surgeries....I can't believe that I said that so casually! I had my first surgery 2 weeks after Irina at UCSF with Dr. Hu. Postop, when both of us were doing well, I remember saying to Irina, "at least we don't need to post in the revision section. I feel sorry for people that need revisions." Ate those words, huh?

......back to my original thought, Dr. Hart's nurse called me and said that they had a cancellation and that my revision surgery was scheduled in a week. If she had said to come over right now, that would have been fine too. Like you, I did not have a date for surgery. But when I finally had a date, I was relieved that I could get on with my life. When I think about it, for my 2nd surgery, I had 6 1/2 hours notice. Long story, but I was a paraplegic in a nursing home when I received a call from the Spine Surgeon on duty, who I had never met, and he said that he was sending an ambulance to the skilled nursing home immediately(it arrived about 2 minutes after I hung up my cell phone). I asked him if there was anything that I should do or not do and he said, "Don't eat or drink anything." I suppose in retrospect, I seemed quite cool and calm at the time. The truth was that my son had just taken me out for lunch (in my monkey pajamas in a wheelchair 5 blocks from the nursing home (soft over cooked peas, meatloaf, pudding, with most residents wearing bibs...) and we had a crisp vegetarian Thai lunch and I had a big martini with lunch ;+} .

Sorry for my divergence down memory lane. Take some deep breaths and be good to yourself. While both of us are resilient older ladies, don't be surprised or upset if your body takes longer to recover than you think that it should. After each of my last couple of surgeries, it took me 1-2 weeks before I could walk well and do multiple stairs. I fought back hard and you will too. Revisions are a piece of cake compared the the first surgery where the curves are stretched and shortened and the muscles and nerves respond with displeasure.

I am looking forward to hearing about your surgery and how you are progressing. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.
        Susan
        Last edited by susancook; 02-06-2018, 03:59 AM.
        Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
        2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
        2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
        2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
        2018: Removal L4,5 screw
        2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Originally posted by susancook View Post
          When I think about it, for my 2nd surgery, I had 6 1/2 hours notice. Long story, but I was a paraplegic in a nursing home when I received a call from the Spine Surgeon on duty, who I had never met, and he said that he was sending an ambulance to the skilled nursing home immediately(it arrived about 2 minutes after I hung up my cell phone). I asked him if there was anything that I should do or not do and he said, "Don't eat or drink anything." I suppose in retrospect, I seemed quite cool and calm at the time. The truth was that my son had just taken me out for lunch (in my monkey pajamas in a wheelchair 5 blocks from the nursing home (soft over cooked peas, meatloaf, pudding, with most residents wearing bibs...) and we had a crisp vegetarian Thai lunch and I had a big martini with lunch ;+} .
          Hi Susan...

This wasn't clear to me. Did you actually have surgery within a few hours of eating? If so, the surgeon was really putting you at risk.

--Linda
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
            Hi Susan...

This wasn't clear to me. Did you actually have surgery within a few hours of eating? If so, the surgeon was really putting you at risk.

--Linda
            Linda, no it was not within a few hours of eating.
            Susan
            Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection

Comment

Revision surgery Feb. 22, 2018

Had my surgery on Thursday and was send home on the following Tuesday. Last surgery I was in for 15 days.
              Everything went well, the surgeon said there were two loose screws at the bottom.
              He took the old rods out and replaced them with new ones,
              Inserted BMP in 2 cages to make sure the fusing would take this time
              removed L5 disk to free up the nerves and bring back feeling in my left leg.
              He inserted 2 long screws in pelvic (hip) bones to support the new rods.
              He said the pelvic bone is very strong.
              It sure feels like a piece of cake compared to last time, like Susan said.
              Of course no bending, lifting or twisting.
              I have to wear my brace for three months whenever I am up and can not sit for more then 30 minutes at a time.
              The trip home was no picnic and I had a lot of vomiting for the first couple of days.
              I seem to have a lot less pain then before the surgery and can get around much easier.
              So far so good!
              Thanks for all the support I received, it sure helped me through this whole ordeal.
              Last edited by Marianne; 03-04-2018, 08:31 AM.
              Marianne
              T11-L5
              Revision Feb.22, 2018
              Replaced rods

Comment

Marianne,
                Thank you for giving us an update. I know that it's still a tough recovery, but sounds like you're doing really well. It's encouraging to me to know that if I ever have to have revision surgery, that most on the forum have reported that it's not as bad as the original surgery. I hope you continue to have a smooth recovery.
                Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                Rib Hump-GONE!
                Age-60 at the time of surgery
                Now 66
                Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Thank you Karen,I appreciate your support.
                  Marianne
                  T11-L5
                  Revision Feb.22, 2018
                  Replaced rods

Comment

Marianne

Congratulations! I hope the pain isn't too bad....the long pelvic screws can be achy for awhile.

Kind of like the song "Achy Breaky Heart"by Billy Ray Cyrus. Just substitute heart with screw in the lyrics, and that works for us. You know, Achy breaky screw LOL Heck, they even have that song in Alvin and the Chipmunks. I had no idea. Try to be careful with that one, its a bit much....(smiley face)

Hang in there...

Ed

My x-rays

Comment

You are too funny Ed, I loved that song back in the day. Achy Braky heart (screws) 😂😂😂
                      So far I am doing well, must be the right pain pills this time.
                      I had the same pain Doctor as my last surgery and he said oh, I remember you,you had illusanations last time
                      When we put you on morphine . So will just give you oxycodone this time.

I did very well with the physio this time, like using the stairs and getting in and out of the tub.
                      So I got to go home much earlier.
                      I had so much pain the last 2 year while waiting for the surgery that this pain is nothing compared to before.
                      My family can't believe how well I am doing, have the bowel issues under control as well with having a smoothie every day.
                      How is your nausea and neck pain Ed? Have you seen a doctor yet?
                      Tomorrow I get my stitches out, not much fun but maybe I will stop itching then.
                      Ed thanks for thinking of me and take care of your self.
                      Marianne
                      T11-L5
                      Revision Feb.22, 2018
                      Replaced rods

Comment

So glad that you are doing so well! I sent good vibes across the border. Pace yourself. I went grocery shopping yesterday and overdid it and my R leg was numb. I took Hydrocodone in the hospital postop for 3 days and then once a day for my first 2 days at home.

Again, congratulations on finally having your revision done and so glad that you are finally feeling well.

Susan

Comment

Thanks Susan, it sounds like I should be telling you not to overdo it, lol.
                          Easier said then done isn't, you feel good and start doing things you should not be doing yet.
                          My family keeps telling me to take it easy.
                          I had half of my staples removed and have to come back next Wednesday to have the other half done.
                          They were not ready yet.
                          My back is a bit tender from that but feeling good otherwise.
                          Sending you healing thoughts and take it easy Susan.
                          Marianne
                          T11-L5
                          Revision Feb.22, 2018
                          Replaced rods

Comment

Thanks Marianne. My sacral area feels really tight and hot and not in a sexy way! Maybe a ice bag tonight.
                            I hate the staples! They are driving me nuts! Nuts! OK, I feel better. Not really. Time for some drugs.
                            Good night.
                            Susan

Comment

Originally posted by susancook View Post
                              They are driving me nuts! Nuts! OK, I feel better. Not really. Time for some drugs.
                              How about a commercial?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjVKUap1HgU

Love that ending!

People will ask, "You were doing great yesterday, what happened?" I get tired explaining this stuff, here, watch this video.

Sometimes you feel like a plank, sometimes you don't....

Ed

My x-rays

Comment

6 week check up

Susan I hope you are feeling better now that your staples are out!
                                Had my 6 week follow up appointment with Dr. Wilson last week and all is well.
                                No XRays until my 3 month visit. And no physio or any kind of exercise yet till he has a look at the XRays.
                                Just walking and resting. We still have lots of snow here so kind of hard to walk outside. No sign of spring yet.
                                Snow and freezing rain for the next few days which will only make the snow heavier.
                                The drive to Toronto was not much fun even with all the pillows I had brought. Six hours of driving and about 20 minutes of doctors time lol.
                                But it had to be done.
                                Looking forward to some sunshine ☀️ and flowers coming up 🌷🌻🌺
                                Marianne
                                T11-L5
                                Revision Feb.22, 2018
                                Replaced rods