Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 14 months after surgery and need revision 😒

Yes Ed that cat knows just how I felt, lol.
    Thanks😹
    Marianne
    rotoscoliosis, subluxation and spinal stenosis
    Surgery April 15, 2015 at age 67
    T11-L5
    Decompression with multiple discectomies
    Concord cages @ L2-3, L3-4, L4-5
    Osteotomies and local bone grafting
    Need revision surgery and go down to S1
    as the lumber part did not fuse.

Yeah.....There is a lot of parallelism I guess, I hope it wasn't too heavy....the jokes even things out in the videos.

In Le vet, @ 1:22 "They pronounce me healthy as always".......is something I have heard through the years from various doctors....maybe its a positive, but deep down I knew that it was never the complete truth. Its hard to hear when you know that serious spine surgery is inevitable.....

"I am my own cat" is how I feel, or want to feel now... I know I cant have complete control, some of us cats just cant.....The cat door is closed and it seems that at some point in our lives, we all have to go back in that cat carrier back to the vet to have our dignity re-tested once again.

The good news is that we do have 9 lives....and it always works out....

Ed
    49 yr old male, now 59, the new 55...
    Pre surgery curves C12,T70,L70
    ALIF/PLIF T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

You go girl!

How exciting to learn that you finally have a date for surgery. On one of my surgeries....I can't believe that I said that so casually! I had my first surgery 2 weeks after Irina at UCSF with Dr. Hu. Postop, when both of us were doing well, I remember saying to Irina, "at least we don't need to post in the revision section. I feel sorry for people that need revisions." Ate those words, huh?

......back to my original thought, Dr. Hart's nurse called me and said that they had a cancellation and that my revision surgery was scheduled in a week. If she had said to come over right now, that would have been fine too. Like you, I did not have a date for surgery. But when I finally had a date, I was relieved that I could get on with my life. When I think about it, for my 2nd surgery, I had 6 1/2 hours notice. Long story, but I was a paraplegic in a nursing home when I received a call from the Spine Surgeon on duty, who I had never met, and he said that he was sending an ambulance to the skilled nursing home immediately(it arrived about 2 minutes after I hung up my cell phone). I asked him if there was anything that I should do or not do and he said, "Don't eat or drink anything." I suppose in retrospect, I seemed quite cool and calm at the time. The truth was that my son had just taken me out for lunch (in my monkey pajamas in a wheelchair 5 blocks from the nursing home (soft over cooked peas, meatloaf, pudding, with most residents wearing bibs...) and we had a crisp vegetarian Thai lunch and I had a big martini with lunch ;+} .

Sorry for my divergence down memory lane. Take some deep breaths and be good to yourself. While both of us are resilient older ladies, don't be surprised or upset if your body takes longer to recover than you think that it should. After each of my last couple of surgeries, it took me 1-2 weeks before I could walk well and do multiple stairs. I fought back hard and you will too. Revisions are a piece of cake compared the the first surgery where the curves are stretched and shortened and the muscles and nerves respond with displeasure.

I am looking forward to hearing about your surgery and how you are progressing. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.
    Susan
    Last edited by susancook; 02-06-2018 at 04:59 AM.
    Adult Onset Degenerative Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Severe disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 in 2 surgeries
    2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal surgery for Spinal Cord Injury at T4,5 sec to PJK
    2015: Revision Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
    2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone + prayer

Quote Originally Posted by susancook View Post
    When I think about it, for my 2nd surgery, I had 6 1/2 hours notice. Long story, but I was a paraplegic in a nursing home when I received a call from the Spine Surgeon on duty, who I had never met, and he said that he was sending an ambulance to the skilled nursing home immediately(it arrived about 2 minutes after I hung up my cell phone). I asked him if there was anything that I should do or not do and he said, "Don't eat or drink anything." I suppose in retrospect, I seemed quite cool and calm at the time. The truth was that my son had just taken me out for lunch (in my monkey pajamas in a wheelchair 5 blocks from the nursing home (soft over cooked peas, meatloaf, pudding, with most residents wearing bibs...) and we had a crisp vegetarian Thai lunch and I had a big martini with lunch ;+} .
    Hi Susan...

This wasn't clear to me. Did you actually have surgery within a few hours of eating? If so, the surgeon was really putting you at risk.

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Quote Originally Posted by LindaRacine View Post
    Hi Susan...

This wasn't clear to me. Did you actually have surgery within a few hours of eating? If so, the surgeon was really putting you at risk.

--Linda
    Linda, no it was not within a few hours of eating.
    Susan
    Adult Onset Degenerative Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Severe disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 in 2 surgeries
    2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal surgery for Spinal Cord Injury at T4,5 sec to PJK
    2015: Revision Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
    2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone + prayer