Has anyone heard of...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mabeckoff View Post
    I just want to say that if you are having surgery and will be fused from C3-pelvis, I would be glad to talk to you about it

Melissa
    Thank you, Melissa. That is very kind. I'm guessing it's very debilitating? I don't plan on having a fusion like that. I'll meet with the doctor if my insurance allows and see what he says.
    Be happy!
    We don't know what tomorrow brings,
    but we are alive today!

Comment

I am fused c4-pelvis. It is doable. It takes time to heal and adjust but you can function. However I do understand that the higher you go in the cervical the more restrictive neck movement becomes. You can turn your head as the hardware is placed on the side but you can't put your head towards your shoulder.
      Driving takes getting used to as you can't turn around. Back up camera is helpful.
      As Melissa please feel free to ask any questions.
      T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
      C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
      T2--T10 fusion 2/11
      C 4-5 fusion 11/14
      Right scapulectomy 6/15
      Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
      To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
      Broken neck 9/28/2018
      Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
      Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
      Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
      Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
      Osteotomy

Comment

Originally posted by jackieg412 View Post
        I am fused c4-pelvis. It is doable. It takes time to heal and adjust but you can function. However I do understand that the higher you go in the cervical the more restrictive neck movement becomes. You can turn your head as the hardware is placed on the side but you can't put your head towards your shoulder.
        Driving takes getting used to as you can't turn around. Back up camera is helpful.
        As Melissa please feel free to ask any questions.
        Thank you, Jackie. I will keep that in mind. You have a VERY long fusion. Did it take place all at once or in steps like Melissa? Okay, you answered my question in your signature. I didn't look until I wrote the post. Are you still able to work with the fusion? I'm imagining that your scapulectomy and muscle repair of it are keeping you down right now. I hope your pain is controlled and that it takes hold. Are you planning to return to work or is this just too much?

Rohrer01
        Last edited by rohrer01; 05-17-2016, 03:01 AM.
        Be happy!
        but we are alive today!

Comment

I am able to work. The scapula problem has been going on for so long that I use my non dominate arm fairly well. I am still I a restraining sling on my right shoulder so I do work with a lot of restrictions. I guess I am lucky as far as pain goes. I can't tolerate pain meds so I use other things. My arm and shoulder give me issues but I think in time that will improve. As the team of doctors and myself decided on this last surgery, I was asked what was important to me ---- having the shoulder in place or the full use of my arm. I said that if I couldn't have both I would choose my shoulder in place. Without the shoulder up and in place, I was having a hard time walking because of being off balance.
          T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
          C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
          T2--T10 fusion 2/11
          C 4-5 fusion 11/14
          Right scapulectomy 6/15
          Broken neck 9/28/2018
          Osteotomy

Comment

Originally posted by jackieg412 View Post
            I am able to work. The scapula problem has been going on for so long that I use my non dominate arm fairly well. I am still I a restraining sling on my right shoulder so I do work with a lot of restrictions. I guess I am lucky as far as pain goes. I can't tolerate pain meds so I use other things. My arm and shoulder give me issues but I think in time that will improve. As the team of doctors and myself decided on this last surgery, I was asked what was important to me ---- having the shoulder in place or the full use of my arm. I said that if I couldn't have both I would choose my shoulder in place. Without the shoulder up and in place, I was having a hard time walking because of being off balance.
            So what will be the limitations on using your arm, especially since it's your dominant arm? Will it be limited range of motion? Will you risk tearing the muscle graft if you lift your arm too high?

In nursing all sorts of unexpected things happen. So when you're out of the sling a patient may unwittingly grab you by that arm for support. Are you concerned about that?

Just curious. Sorry for all the questions.
            Be happy!
            but we are alive today!

Comment

Right now until the 3 month mark the restrictions are nothing overhead or behind me and no weight unless I am laying on my back. Then after the 3 months we will test how well I can reach around me. Also the new muscle will give stability to the scapula. Without that the dysfunction of the scapula makes movement forward even for simple things(like pumping hand soap) impossible. It has created a huge problem.
              After the healing I think the restrictions will be not lifting too much weight. I'm not there yet.
              We discontinued PT as I have met the early goals. I know the new muscle will have to be retrained and I want to save my visits until then.
              I agree that when I am out that I have to watch out for other people. Even though my spine is well healed I don't like people patting me on the back. I also keep the sling on when working outside as I will move through my restrictions very easy.. the sling restricts me.
              I will update after next Dr visit in June.
              T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
              C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
              T2--T10 fusion 2/11
              C 4-5 fusion 11/14
              Right scapulectomy 6/15
              Broken neck 9/28/2018
              Osteotomy

Comment

My insurance accepted the referral request with the stipulations that any tests he wants done have to be done in-house AND warned me that they may charge more than they are willing to pay, leaving me with the balance. I waited about a week and a half to hear from my Dr.'s office and nothing. So I sent him a message tonight to remind him and let him know what they said.

So I'll update as soon as I know more.

Rohrer01
                Be happy!
                but we are alive today!

Comment

Working...
                X