Facet joint injections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rohrer01 View Post
    I was playing "electron" with my grandson the other day. We both had balloons and one of my hairs got on mine and I was showing him how static electricity worked. He wanted one, so I ran my fingers through my hair thinking I'd get one or two and I got a pretty good handful (concerned). It wasn't because it was long. I had them all together at the same length in my hand! I put some aside and we played electrons and molecules (the hair being the electrons and the balloons being the atoms). We made a "molecule" by twirling the balloons around in close proximity without hitting and watching my hair (electrons) pass back and forth between the balloons. I thought it was a cool way to explain basic chemistry to a seven year old. I made use of my hair loss.

Rohrer01
    This is very clever! All kids are natural scientists. I have thrown science at my girls their entire life.

When we lived in Puerto Rico, my girls were tending to a "pond" they made in the back yard with an ecosystem and a small though discernible food web. They saw what ate what and kept track of how long the tadpoles took to become frogs and such. They were in third grade.

Now they are biology majors in college. If there is something more interesting than science I don't know what it is. :-)
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Literature

Comment

Literature is very compelling and is an imperishable component of a fully lived life.

But I would argue science has an ultimate edge because it is the only way of knowing what is real. Reality is more compelling to me. Brain science is the ultimate subject. The rest is commentary. :-)
        Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
        Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Just seen a consultant about my hair.

He says the shock of having pneumonia and being in hospital has driven my a lot of my hair follicles hair into the shedding phase. He says it will stop shedding in 2 - 3 months

Comment

My hair loss has slowed considerably - Consultant says it will shed again in about a year as the cycle of growth has been disturbed. However it won't be as bad.

Comment

Burdle,
              I'm glad your hair will come back. My sister started losing hers in her 30's and it never came back. You can see her scalp, so she bleached it a lighter color so it isn't so obvious. My hair is no longer falling out. It was just that one incident this time and it was a huge lock of hair...50 or more.

Sharon,

Kids are born scientists. All of them. It's what you do with that curiosity that counts. My sister made fun of me after several years had passed since we'd seen each other and our kids were still pretty little, like three to seven years old (I have three). She started cackling at me and said, "Only YOUR kids would talk that way!" I'm like what??? She said they were using scientific terms her kids couldn't understand... and they were the same ages. LOL
              Be happy!
              We don't know what tomorrow brings,
              but we are alive today!

Comment

[QUOTE=rohrer01;166406]Burdle,
                I'm glad your hair will come back. My sister started losing hers in her 30's and it never came back. You can see her scalp, so she bleached it a lighter color so it isn't so obvious. My hair is no longer falling out. It was just that one incident this time and it was a huge lock of hair...50 or more.

Thank You

I was shocked at how badly it affected me- shocked and slightly ashamed as I 'knew' that people with cancer could loses all their hair.

I think it was the complete lack of control that was affecting me so badly. I could not go out and no matter how much I told myself off I was finding everything difficult.

Anyway the consultant diagnosed it as telogen effluvium and it can happen as a result of shock or severe illness. What happens is that at the time of the shock or illness a larger than normal amount of hair falls into the telogen phase which means it stops growing ( because the body does not have the resource to look after it) . This is a normal part of the hair cycle and about 2 months later it falls out. This is why people often think the cause is something different because it happens a while after the initial incident. Normally 10% of hair is in the telogen phase but with this a much larger amount- in my case 50% or more. It often does grow back ( from scratch). However because the 'normal cycle is disturbed, although the body tries to get it all back in a normal cycle, a lot of hair is still in a different cycle from normal so will fall out again in a big way when it enters its next telogen phase.

The good news is that it is nothing to do with steroid injections as I was told the amount is no-where big enough to have an effect. Nevertheless I cancelled my next ones as I was told stress affects the regrowth and I am trying to avoid any stress.

My insurance company refused to pay as they said it was 'cosmetic' I had to get my consultant to write and explain. That caused stress also.

Comment

My sister that lost a lot of hair has a short hair cycle. She could never grow it past shoulder length. I lost about 50% of my hair once. I don't know why. It gradually grew back. My hair is too thick and hard to work with so I rather enjoyed having less because I could work with it. The part I didn't like is much more was lost on the top front portion of my hair. I tried cutting my bangs and wearing them curled and a little fluffed, but it didn't look any better. If anything it just made my scalp more visible. So I grew them back out. Then my natural hair cycle must have come back because I'm back to having too thick of hair again. The thing is, I'm blonde. So my hairs should be smaller around making my hair appear thinner. But I have thick hair. My daughter went to cosmetology school and they said it was rare that blondes have thick hair shafts. My grandson's hair is thick and course like mine and he's blonde, too. His is the same color as mine. He was also born with light red hair, as was I.

Hair is a funny thing. It seems we have too little or too much. But, at least with my thick hair I know it goes to good use when I donate it. I will wear it very long for awhile then get a shorter cut and donate it to "Locks-of-Love" for cancer kids. Hopefully I've made some kids happy in their time of distress. :-)
                  Be happy!
                  We don't know what tomorrow brings,
                  but we are alive today!

Comment

Working...
                  X