Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electorcuting-like nerve pain

Hello everyone:

I had my fusion to the sacrum surgery January 7th 2016. I'm three months out and now experiencing horrible electric nerve pain all over my legs, feet, buttocks, and hips. It literally feels like I'm being electrocuted! It is sudden and comes on with no warning. I cry out when it happens because it is so sudden and so extreme. I was just told my by surgeon's nurse that this was normal and that my nerves were waking up. Is this correct? Does anyone know about this? What's the deal?
    1st surgery: Fused T1-L3 in 1987 with contoured Harrington Rods. Rods broke at top.
    2nd surgery: Re-done two weeks later; fused C7-L3. Left in chronic pain.
    3rd surgery: Hardware removal 1997, but still pain for 30 years.
    4th Surgery: Fused to the sacrum in 2016. Came out of surgery with left foot paralysis. (Drop Foot) Can't walk on my own.
    I'm blessed to have found my peace and reason to live not from a husband or kids (I have none) but from God and within myself.

I had the nerves wake up but I would describe it like electric chills. It was odd and still happens sometimes but I wouldn't say it was painful like you are feeling.
    T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
    C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
    T2--T10 fusion 2/11
    C 4-5 fusion 11/14
    Right scapulectomy 6/15
    Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
    To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
    Broken neck 9/28/2018
    Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
    Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
    Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
    Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
    Osteotomy

Comment

Healing nerves....I had them and did many hot water soaks during my recovery. 106 F which is scalding hot. I measured temperature each time with a hot tub thermometer. This was done in a deep and wide tub, and you want to be able to float. Tonibunny (from the SSO forum) used to do this....it works great.

It really was the only way I could get comfortable and did 5, one hour soaks per day for 3 months...Soak, sleep, soak, sleep....

I had the electrical jolts for a good 6 months....they did taper down in time..

I would recommend hot water therapy. If you do, drink a LOT of water. You don’t want to get dehydrated and cause more problems.

Ed
      49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
      Pre surgery curves T70,L70
      ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
      Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Sounds like electrical shocks to me. I have them now from my T4,5 spinal cord injury. I take Lyrica, Tizanidine, and Baclofen for nerve pain. My nerve pains have changed some with time and I do have sudden electrical sensations, although they are not as severe as you describe. I have mostly buzzing and body spasms.

In general, many sensations change with time and decrease. For older folks, everything seems to take longer. Best of luck and hoping that time heals.
        Susan
        Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
        2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
        2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
        2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
        2018: Removal L4,5 screw
        2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Hi,
          Boy I can I remember those electrical shocks very well!!! After my third revision surgery, while I was still in the hospital(fourth day) I woke up in the night with horrible electrical shocks. (From butt down my legs). Finally after this didn't go away with neurontin, baclofen,flexeral(all nerve pain & muscle relaxers) they gave me diazepam, which is an anti-anxiety medicine. (Valium is the brand name) It worked!!!! I finically went home and I had that electrical shock pain for several months. It got fewer and farther in between. My Dr. told me that it takes nerves 18 mo. to heal. It didn't take me that long. It was around four or five months. And they got less painful as time went on. But they are awful!!! I am having another revision surgery for broken rods, I pray I don't have to deal with them. I hope you can get something to help, as it is the most horrible feeling and horribly painful. Let us know how you are doing. Like I said, Diazapam is the only thing that calmed down the shocks. Warmly, LINDA
          Linda Brozik~~60 yrs. old at time of Lenke's first surgery. 62 now!
          Surgery 2006 L3/4 L4/5 double fusion/ instumentation/ With 2 cages
          This started adult onset scoliosis
          July 1st, 2010/ surgery ~~fused T10 to pelvis (long rods/ screws)
          Oct.20th 2010, extended rods to T4 / did osteotomy at L3
          Oct. 29th 2012 Dr. Lenke St. Louis Mo. T4 to sacrum osteotomy anterior cage L3/4 titanium rods
          May 30th 2013 revision
          May 8th cervicle surgery 2016
          May 31st Dr. Gupta revision 2017

Comment

Working...
          X