Surgery Scheduled June 24 and Scared!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ed...

I think cervical corpectomies are more common than thoracic or lumbar corpectomies, but all types definitely exist. I don't think that the removal of endplates (which is a fairly common procedure in anterior fusions), without the removal of part of the vertebral body would ever be considered a partial corpectomy, but I'll check on it.

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Kathy - quick update

Happy 4th of July everyone.

Constipation got the best of me this long weekend Tried pretty much everything. DOC X Plus 8.6 was what I was given leaving the hospital (combination laxative/stool softener). I supplemented that with ClearLax, Milk of Magnesia, and suppositories – no go. Then I went with liquid dynamite (Mag Cit) – lots of gurgling but no go. ˝ bottle, then another ˝ bottle. Finally a mineral enema broke the dam about 6:30PM. Until about 2 hours ago (1-2PM) I had been having occasional sessions in the bathroom, but at least things are moving. My nutrition intake has been poor, so now am so weak and having trouble getting the strength to walk.

On top of that, the hospital sent me home without enough Valium and said it was illegal to refill during the weekend or holiday, so I had to ration Valium the last couple days. Appears to me that there is a 20 hour or so lag with the Valium, which I feel is the most beneficial drug. If I cut back, it is 20 hours later that my pain level raises… and takes about that long to get it back. I am sure that changes over time too! Dang this is quite the game! I now have her on the prescribed drugs: Delaudid (1-2 every 4), Flexeril (1-2 every 8), Valium (1 every 6), KFlex (antibiotic) every meal, Docusate Sodium and DOC X Plus 8.6 (1 each twice per day) and Tylenol (no more than 8 per day).

Have not found a comfortable place to ‘lounge’ in our son’s apartment, so looking for ideas on comfortable sitting/lounging/eating position. Any particular brand of chairs? Companies? He has an office chair that is pretty nice that is working about as good as anything, but looking for something to sit in. I know I am not supposed to sit a lot, but at least need to sit and eat!

Speaking of eating, thoughts on what I can do to get energy in my body? Appetite not there, but know I need the energy.

Kathy in Iowa (well, in Minnesota right now)
      Decompression surgery L4/L5
      April 3, 2015
      Twin Cities Spine Center - Dr. Joseph Perra
      Fused from T11 - Sacrum anterior/posterior
      June 24, 2016 - 55 years old at surgery
      Before Surgery: 42 degrees lumbar, 28 degrees thoracic
      After Surgery: 10 degrees lumbar, ?? Thoracic
      2 inches taller

Comment

Originally posted by KathyInIowa View Post

Speaking of eating, thoughts on what I can do to get energy in my body? Appetite not there, but know I need the energy.

Kathy in Iowa (well, in Minnesota right now)
        Kathy

You need to eat. Nutrition is very important for healing.....

I loved my smoothies....they really helped...

In a blender,

1 Yogurt
        1/2 banana
        1/2 cup whey protein powder
        30 blueberries
        15 raspberries
        10 strawberries
        12 almonds

Buy the berries frozen, its easier and they don’t spoil so soon.

I would simply store in the fridge and re-blend. Take small sips....

Get some sliced roast beef....this is an easy way to get protein. Eat it out of the bag.

Also after my event, I was sipping on pedialyte for electrolytes. The laxatives really drain you of energy.

I also ate dry granola for heartburn.

Hang in there.....

Ed
        49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
        Pre surgery curves T70,L70
        ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
        Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Kathy you may be able to eat a little more now that things are moving along. You also can try a product like ensure for more nutrition.
          T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
          C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
          T2--T10 fusion 2/11
          C 4-5 fusion 11/14
          Right scapulectomy 6/15
          Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
          To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
          Broken neck 9/28/2018
          Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
          Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
          Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
          Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
          Osteotomy

Comment

Hi Kathy,

We are surgery buds! I was fused T4-L4 on June 14th. I too am on Dilaudid 2mg, 2 pills every 4 hours. I feel they help but they give me terrifying nightmares and constipation of course. I have struggled with eating, such a poor appetite but I do like smoothies and frozen yogurt. I try to just eat protein with a veggie for dinner. It is just hard. I can't move around the kitchen at all and am totally dependent on my sweet parents. I use ice packs all day-my PT told me how to make them. 1 cup of rubbing alcohol, 2 cups of water mix and put in a ziplock, then put that zip,ice in a second one to prevent leaks. Life saver. During the day I made a "station" on the couch-put a sheet down and all the back cushions removed them stacked pillows all around and lay partially reclined. I have ups and downs with pain too and generally feeling weak, sick and drugged. It is so far away from my normal. Day by day.
            Best in recovery!
            Jana
            Diagnosed with idiopathic scoliosis at age 11
            Dr. Edgar Dawson of UCLA
            Braced and "stopped" below 50 degrees
            Age 25: 47 degrees, 48 degrees
            Age 38 (3 babies later): 60 degrees, 63 degrees and 2.5 inches shorter
            Age 41: 64 degrees, 70 degrees
            Dr. Gregory Mundis Jr. of Scripps Hospital, La Jolla CA
            June 2015-ALIF on L5-S1 for a slipped and degenerated disk
            June 14, 2016-T4-L4 spinal fusion with instrumentation
            Post-surgery: 16 degrees, 12 degrees and 2 inches taller

Comment

3 weeks post op -feeling decent

Hi everybody! Tomorrow is my 3-week post op mark. I'm feeling pretty good considering.

The first 2 weeks are definitely the worst. Everyone says it and it is true! By week 3 I feel fairly human again. I did get my appetite back which I think is a good sign. I still eat fairly bland food, yogurt, toast, eggs, applesauce, smoothies, cereal, turkey lunch meat.

I have cut back some on my meds. I'm still taking (1) Dilaudid 2 mg every 4 hours (Rx is (2) every 4 hours). I take (1) flexeril 10 mg twice a day (Rx is for 3 times a day) and (1) valium 2 mg at 10 pm to help me sleep (Rx is for 4 times a day). I'm also still taking the stool softener they gave me. They seem to be working.

All in all I feel good. I'm still tired a lot which I'm sure is normal. My family has been helping a lot. I'm fairly self sufficient but since I can't bend much I still need help with things like socks (which I only wear when walking), drying lower legs after shower, getting my feel through the leg hole of pants.

I will have like 3 awesome days then for an unknown reason I'll feel like a truck hit me. Is that normal? It got super hot & humid here so I quit walking outside. The heat was making me dizzy. So I walk the halls of this apartment. This week my walking schedule is (3) 15-minute walks. Next week is (2) 20-minute walks. I can do more if I feel like it, but they suggest adding only small 5 or 10 minute walks.

My incisions seem to be healing nicely. Boy, they are long!

I like putting my hands on my lower back and not feeling my rib hump! Even my front torso looks different without the distorted rib cage!

I can't seem to get comfortable sitting half way up to read or watch TV. I'm only comfortable laying flat. So I have to put a small pillow on my chest & put my book or iPad on the pillow. So I haven't been able to watch TV.

I'm so happy to be on "the other side." I've known for a whole year I would be doing this surgery. That is a long time to have it "looming" over me.

I know John was posting on this forum earlier. I'd like to thank all of you for supporting him. This is not easy on the caregiver. It is hard for him to watch me feel so bad and then all he had to do to help manage my pain & food & general discomfort.

I have 3 more weeks to be in the Twin Cities. Hopefully my 6-week post op check up will go well and I can go home. The good thing about being here is there is nothing for me to do but walk, eat & rest!

Kathy in Iowa
              April 3, 2015
              2 inches taller

Comment

Originally posted by Jjohnsonphd View Post
                Hi Kathy,

We are surgery buds! I was fused T4-L4 on June 14th. I too am on Dilaudid 2mg, 2 pills every 4 hours. I feel they help but they give me terrifying nightmares and constipation of course. I have struggled with eating, such a poor appetite but I do like smoothies and frozen yogurt. I try to just eat protein with a veggie for dinner. It is just hard. I can't move around the kitchen at all and am totally dependent on my sweet parents. I use ice packs all day-my PT told me how to make them. 1 cup of rubbing alcohol, 2 cups of water mix and put in a ziplock, then put that zip,ice in a second one to prevent leaks. Life saver. During the day I made a "station" on the couch-put a sheet down and all the back cushions removed them stacked pillows all around and lay partially reclined. I have ups and downs with pain too and generally feeling weak, sick and drugged. It is so far away from my normal. Day by day.
                Best in recovery!
                Jana
                Hi Jana! It's good to have a surgery bud - nice to know someone who is on the same path as me. I will have to try your ice pack recipe. I had purchased one of those with the little "beads" in them, it has a Velcro belt on it so you can walk around with it on. But I can also just lay on it so I have been icing my low back.

I wish you all the best in your recovery. We can "hang in there" together!
                Kathy
                April 3, 2015
                2 inches taller

Comment

Originally posted by KathyInIowa View Post
                  I will have like 3 awesome days then for an unknown reason I'll feel like a truck hit me. Is that normal?
                  Yup. Your still extremely early......Good days and bad days are normal. Wasn’t that a Led Zeppelin song?

Keep up the good work!

Congratulations...

Ed
                  49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                  Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                  ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                  Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                  http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                  http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Ed is right. You will have good days and then bad days.
                    Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Working...
                    X