Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10years Post-Op Still Having Pain

Hello:

I am 10 years post op my second scoliosis surgery. First was T4-L4 in 1969. Last was T3-Sacrum with Illiac Screws, etc. in 2006. Ever since day 6 which was the first time I sat up, I have had pain when sitting. I actually have pain sitting, standing for more than a few minutes, and walking. I only get relief when in bed with pillow under knees.

I've tried SI joint injections, PT, and pills. Not sure what other options I have. Seems to worsen over the years, plus I am loosing muscle strength in my legs.

I would appreciate any suggestions or questions I can ask my doctor which I will be seeing the end of April. He is a Physical -Rehab doctor specializing in spine & hip problems. I see my new ortho doc next year, Dr, Guypta who replaced Dr. Lenke.

Please let me know. Thank you.

I just want to say how sorry I am to hear about your continuing pain. Unfortunately, you are not alone. I know many people who are fused to the sacrum and still in pain. I had my fusion to sacrum surgery in January and in addition to my Foot Drop, have just developed aching pain while sitting. Have you considered having your pelvic fixation screws removed? Or the rest of your hardware removed? Having all the hardware out might be kind of risky, but certainly the long pelvic screws could come out, or so I'm told. What kind of pain is it, achy bone pain or nerve pain?
    1st surgery: Fused T1-L3 in 1987 with contoured Harrington Rods. Rods broke at top.
    2nd surgery: Re-done two weeks later; fused C7-L3. Left in chronic pain.
    3rd surgery: Hardware removal 1997, but still pain for 30 years.
    4th Surgery: Fused to the sacrum in 2016. Came out of surgery with left foot paralysis. (Drop Foot) Can't walk on my own.
    I'm blessed to have found my peace and reason to live not from a husband or kids (I have none) but from God and within myself.

Comment

Yes I have asked about illiac scew removal and my doctor at that time (Dr. Lenke) was against it. He said I could have swaying problems. ??

Comment

What does he mean by "swaying problems?" I've never heard of that. Anyone?
        1st surgery: Fused T1-L3 in 1987 with contoured Harrington Rods. Rods broke at top.
        2nd surgery: Re-done two weeks later; fused C7-L3. Left in chronic pain.
        3rd surgery: Hardware removal 1997, but still pain for 30 years.
        4th Surgery: Fused to the sacrum in 2016. Came out of surgery with left foot paralysis. (Drop Foot) Can't walk on my own.
        I'm blessed to have found my peace and reason to live not from a husband or kids (I have none) but from God and within myself.

Comment

Working...
        X