No announcement yet.

I've heard from Susannajon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Susanna is right - our girls our tough little cookies!

As hard as the first week after surgery is, they do get through it.

I found that if my daughter just moved a bit more each day, it really helped her mental state. And, by the time she could walk around the ward, it helped with the "stiffening" they get laying in bed so long.

Your daughter may have another tough day - sometimes their body takes a small step back before improving.

My daughter, who was 16, was arguing with the interns that came in every morning and basically telling them to "go away and come back later". She threw some teenagers out of her room who were getting community service hours coming around cheering up the kids. I knew she was getting well because she was feisty.

But, she liked the nurses and even tolerated the little chest pounding they did to clear up fluid from the long anesthesia (12 hours). It got to the point that I had to leave the room every time they showed up to do that. You have to keep it together and be positive. The kids are looking to us to see how they're doing.

It's very hard to watch your child in pain, but she really doesn't remember the worst of it from that first week.

Susanna - we're thinking of you guys! Post again when you have time.

Susan

Comment

Susan, Jennifer, Susanna, Theresa,
      Not sure if I am looking forward to the first few days after surgery. Sounds pretty tough to me. I am going to be praying a lot to get us through it. I just hope Crystal will "Cowboy Up" and want to get moving and get home. She usually has that "Cowboy Up" mentality. I've seen a colt dust her hard, and she has gotten right back on in tears and had that colt do what mad him mad in the first place.

I don't think I could do what these kids do. They are so tough. I am just a weenie when it come to pain. I even hate going to the dentist, because I can't stand their shots when they have to work on your teeth.

Susanna, Let us know how your day with Grace was. We are certainly praying for you everyday.

'til later,
      Nikki

Comment

Susanna - Daughter's Recovery Going Well

Hi Everyone,

It's day 5, and I thought I would update you on my daughter's recovery. Yesterday was a great day. The chest tube came out, she was able to start on ice chips and a little water, and she's starting to be a little bit feisty and more of her normal self. The PT folks got her up and she took a few steps. She had a visit from one of her best childhood friends who lives in New York now, and she was able to stay awake for more than an hour and chat. She was pretty wiped out last night, and today has been pretty rough, but that's to be expected at this stage of the game. She's transitioning from the pain pump to Vicoden, and she's been having some issues with the Vicoden making her feel wierd. Her stomach has been a little queasie and this morning she said she felt like she couldn't catch her breathe and we put her O2 back on. All in all, though, she so much better, and we feel like we're over the hump.

Thanks to everyone for the thoughts and prayers. We will most likely be here 'till Wednesday, if she continues to do this well.
        Susanna
        ~~~~~~
        Mother of a 17 year old daughter. Her "S" curve was 40 degree thoracic from T3 to T9, and a 70 degree rotatory thorcolumbar from T9 to L4. She was operated on March 9th, 2005 by Dr. Boachie-Adjei at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. She was fused from T11 to L3, using an anterior approach, and the major curve corrected to 20 degrees. She's doing great!

Comment

Susanna
          So Glad To Hear Grace Is Doing So Well. We Go In 16 Days. I'm So Greatful For Your Posts. Now I Will Know What To Expect Some What. Hopefully My Nicole Does Just As Well As Grace. Wishing You All The Best In The Days Ahead.
          Theresa
          THERESA

Comment

Hi Theresa, I won't lie, the first few days are grim and exhausting, but we saw a boy today who's curve and surgery were identical to our daughter's. He is going home on day 6. He was walking unassisted, smiling and cracking jokes, and it made us feel so much better. Turns out our daughter was miserable this morning because her intestines were waking up (UGGG) but after a suppository things started working, and within a couple of hours she was resting comfortably and doing much better. It's two steps forward, one step back. You will get throught this! In the end it's all worth it.
            Susanna
            ~~~~~~
            Mother of a 17 year old daughter. Her "S" curve was 40 degree thoracic from T3 to T9, and a 70 degree rotatory thorcolumbar from T9 to L4. She was operated on March 9th, 2005 by Dr. Boachie-Adjei at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. She was fused from T11 to L3, using an anterior approach, and the major curve corrected to 20 degrees. She's doing great!

Comment

Hi Susanna,

My name is Lura. I just found this site Friday night and posted that I have a son (Alex) with Down syndrome. His surgery is the 29th in Spokane, WA. I am encouraged by your posting around your daughters surgery! Still scared, but feeling less alone. I will pray for continued comfort for both of you.

Lura

Comment

hi susanna
                glad to hear things are moving along. How are you holding up? I cannot believe it is 5 days already. Wow, before you know it you'll be heading home. Have you seen the girl next door? The one i went to visit as well, i think her name is Chava. I hope she is doing okay also.
                we're here still thinking of you guys and keep updating us
                jennifer

Comment

Lura, Thanks for your message. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Jennifer, We are actually roomies with Hava and her mom Debbie. Both of the girls are right on target. Hava was Boachie's second case on Wednesday, so the girls are about 7 hours apart in their recovery. The same curve, the same exact procedure and instrumentation. Pretty ironic, huh? Debbie says hello, by the way.

It pretty funny because we can almost predict what Hava will do based on what Grace is doing 7 hours earlier. Anyhow, thanks for your continued support, and I'll keep you guys in the loop.
                  Last edited by susannajon; 03-13-2005, 08:11 PM.
                  Susanna
                  ~~~~~~

Comment

I'm glad to hear that they are both doing well. I communicate with Chava on another message board. I'm glad to hear their recoveries are going well.
                    ~*Lauren*~
                    Braced for 5 months
                    Decided on surgery with 65 and 54 degree curves
                    Pre-op curve measurements were in the 70's and 80's
                    Surgery on April 26th 2005
                    Fused from T3-L4
                    Post-op curve is 15 degrees

Comment

I'm glad things are going well for all of you.

Susanna,

Is the Vicoden controlling the pain? Vicoden didn't take care of Jamie's pain and she was switched to Percoset (?) and did fine with it. Also, the fact that she hasn't really eaten anything yet, could have something to do with the upset stomach. Once she is allowed to eat, maybe she could eat a few crackers when taking her meds. Jamie's oxygen levels kept dropping and we almost put her back on oxygen. We found that if she sat up her stats came right back up.

Take care,
                      Mary Lou

Comment

hi susanna
                        glad to hear things are going well. That is great that chava is your roommate. That is good to be able to compare notes. When we were there it was very empty and i wished i had someone in the same boat as me to talk to. How are the nurses and the hospital?? Did you have a nurse "richard"? He was our nurse most of the time, except when he left at night. He was good to us.
                        well keep the updates coming
                        jennifer

Comment

Hi guys,

We're having a good day. Both our kids were switch to Percocet and seem to be doing very well. No more problems with itching or nausea. My daughter is eating soup, rice crispies, and the like. Chava is still on clears. Debbie ordered fruit smoothies for the kids to try this afternoon.

Jennifer, Richard was our nurse Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, and he is a wonderful caring person, and we feel so lucky to have had his care. We also had good experiences with Shanaz and Erika.

Susanna
                          Susanna
                          ~~~~~~

Comment

glad to hear it's a good day and i'm sure from here on in, it's uphill from here. That is great that she is able to eat something! She's on her way now. Richard was the best. I even took some pictures of nicole and richard. He had a great sense of humor too. He was one of our favorites.
                            well thanks for keeping me updated on the girls!
                            Jennifer

Comment

Jennifer,

Dr. Boachie came by tonight and took a walk with the girls. It was the cutest thing. He cleared them both to go home tomorrow!

Yes, I promised Richard we would stop by and see him when we come back for her check up. We just loved him too.

Susanna
                              Susanna
                              ~~~~~~

Comment

Susanna
                                So Good To Hear Your Going Home And Grace Is Doing Well.that Does Sound Cute. He Has A Great Bedside Matter.
                                Theresa
                                THERESA

Comment

Working...
                                X