I've heard from Susannajon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've heard from Susannajon

Just got a brief e-mail from Susannajon. She says her daughter's surgery went well and asked me to thank everyone for their thoughts and prayers.

Mary Lou

hi marylou
    i just got an e-mail from her too. I've been thinking about them all day and am so glad that everything went well. I have an appointment at the dr. for my daughter tomorrow, which is right across the street from the hospital where they are (we have the same dr) so we are going to go over there for a quick visit. I'm looking forward to that.
    Jennifer

Comment

thats brilliant im so glad everything went well for them
      *ANGIE* 14-15 y/o
      had operation in september 2004
      a rod was put in:T10-L3
      My curve was 50* & is now 7*
      "All that glitters is not always gold & diamonds in the rough do not always shine"

Comment

Jennifer,
        When you see Susanna, give her hugs for us. Tell her, we are glad her daughters surgery went well. We will continue to pray for them. Because, from what I understand this is the tough part now. The first two weeks of recovery.

Thank you so very much.

We will be praying for you too.

'til later,
        Nikki

Comment

Jennifer
          Hi
          I"m so glad to hear things went well.I was thinking about them.We go in 21 days.Wish them the best for me.
          In my prayers.
          Theresa
          THERESA

Comment

i will definitely tell her that you all send your wishes for a smooth recovery. I'll post after i see them.
            i know how you all are feeling before your childrens surgeries. I don't know what was harder the waiting before or the actual recovery, but yes the first two weeks are the hardest, but by about 3 1/2 weeks it was unbelievably better. I probably said this once before and i'll say it again because i can't remember who told me this after the surgery, but it was so true - that you can't judge the recovery process everyday, it's from one week to another that you see the most progress, you can't see much of a difference each day, but when you look back week to week it is incredible.
            nikki and theresa hang in there it will be over soon. I'm sure it feels like the day will never get here already.
            jennifer

Comment

Hi all, I've just stepped out of the recovery room for a few minutes. Grace is sleeping, thankfully. What a long day! The surgery lasted about 4 1/2 hours. Everything went according to plan: anterior surgery, fusing her T11 to L3. He thinks he was able to correct her to about 15% so we're thrilled.

When she first woke up it was awful. She was in agony and it felt like
              forever before they got her PCA hooked up. She kept saying she couldn't
              breathe and begging us to turn her on her side. It was breaking my heart.

Once the drugs kicked in, she was much better. I wish I could remember who
              told me to bring her favorite stuffed animal, because she totally lighted up
              when she saw that silly little stuffed dog. She's had it clutched to her
              chest ever since. We also hooked her up to her I-Pod and put on some music.

She says she's feeling so much better, and she's even cracked a couple of
              jokes, so I'm feeling huge relief right now.

She has a tube through her side to drain the fluid and keep the lung
              inflated, and they took an x-ray to make sure the tube is in the right spot.
              I got to see it, and I could see her spine, and wow! The back looks so
              straight! It's really amazing. I was shocked at how big those screws
              looked. They seem huge! I don't know what I was expecting...

Anyhow thanks to everyone for the advice, the thoughts and the prayers. It all worked!!

Susanna
              Susanna
              ~~~~~~
              Mother of a 17 year old daughter. Her "S" curve was 40 degree thoracic from T3 to T9, and a 70 degree rotatory thorcolumbar from T9 to L4. She was operated on March 9th, 2005 by Dr. Boachie-Adjei at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. She was fused from T11 to L3, using an anterior approach, and the major curve corrected to 20 degrees. She's doing great!

Comment

Good to hear it went well!
                It's such a shock to see those screws for the first time. I didn't see my xrays until my 2 week checkup... I don't know what I was expecting either... Maybe something small and delicate, seeing as it was my SPINE they were messing with... LOL... I could only look at my x-rays by looking at their reflection in the mirror accross the room... Silly, eh?
                You both are in my thoughts!
                Blair

Dec 15th, 2003 @ age of 20
                Posterior Fusion and CD Horizon instrumentation T2-L1.
                Surgery by Dr. Herkowitz- Beaumont Hospital of Royal Oak, Michigan
                Excellent correction of 52 degree single left thoracolumbar curve. Slight curve remains in unfused lumbar region but seems stable.
                February 5, 2005- Failed Scar Revision Surgery
                September 17, 2005- 2nd Failed Scar Revision.

Comment

Sussana,
                  I was so glad to hear Grace's surgery went so well. We are still praying for you. We are all getting edgy at our house. Wanting Tuesday to hurry up and get here. We'll survive though.

We'll let you know how Crystal's surgery went.

You made it, and seem to survive this far. I sure hope I do. I am getting pretty grouchy due to the lack of sleep.

We're praying.

'til later,
                  Nikki

Comment

Susanna,

That's just wonderful about Grace's surgery.

She's cracking a couple of jokes on the first day - amazing!!!!

The worst is over now and she can focus on getting better

God bless your daughter and your family - we all knew she'd be fine.

4 1/2 hours - that's terrific, too!

Let us know how she's feeling.

Regards,

Susan

Comment

Hi everyone,

Well last night was awful, and I am so glad it's behind us. My daughter was miserable and unable to sleep. She was tachy with a heart rate around 135 and spiked a fever of 101. I know this stuff is pretty typical, but it doesn't make it any easier. Also, the stuff that was numb before started to wake up so she was really hurting. I finally went back to my room for a shower and something to eat around 10:00 and I fell asleep for a little while. Unfortunately, I missed Jennifer, her husband, and Nicole who had come to visit us.I am so disappointed, but maybe another time.

My daughter is better today. She was able to sit up for a little while, and I the hospital brought her a computer and she's happily chatting online with her friends.

Jen, you'll have to send me a picture of you guys so I can put a face with the name. My husband, Jon, said that Nicole looked fantastic, and it was really good for him to see her so healthy and happy 4 months after surgery.

Thanks again to everyone for your kind thoughts.

Susanna
                      Susanna
                      ~~~~~~
                      Mother of a 17 year old daughter. Her "S" curve was 40 degree thoracic from T3 to T9, and a 70 degree rotatory thorcolumbar from T9 to L4. She was operated on March 9th, 2005 by Dr. Boachie-Adjei at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. She was fused from T11 to L3, using an anterior approach, and the major curve corrected to 20 degrees. She's doing great!

Comment

Susanna,
                        I am sure glad Grace's surgery went well. I am becoming a little more at ease today. I think just getting closer to Tuesday is helping. Crystal seems better today too.

I hope Grace has a better night tonight. I am not looking forward to having Crystal hurt after surgery. But, hopefully, it will only be temporary. Should be anyway.

Well, I need to go feed cows and then come in and feed the family. That's all I do some days, is feed some sort of hungry beast.

I will be looking for your posts.

We're praying.

'til later,
                        Nikki

Comment

hi susanna
                          i am so sorry that we missed you also, but i'm glad you were able to get some much needed rest. It sounds like you had a rough night. I hope tonight is better. Like i said though it was great to meet your husband, he was so nice and we got to meet the girl next door to you guys. She was awake and and was so sweet. Grace was sleeping peacefully when we got there and i got to peak in on her. Her braids looked adorable!! I hope the gift we brought gave her a little smile for a minute and in with the gift we put some lotion and a chap stick (nicole's idea) her lips were so dry all the time, we used chapstick alot and someone brought us lotion while we were there and nicole used it.
                          It sounds like she is doing much better today. I can't believe she sat up and went on the computer. Nicole didn't go on the computer for days and screamed everytime she had to sit up, so she sounds like she is doing really good!
                          I will try and find a picture of us, so you can put a face on these e-mails. Keep in touch and update me on her.
                          Jennifer

Comment

Hi Jennifer. Yesterday, she sat up just long enought to dangle her legs. I brought the computer in after, and she lay back down and propped the keyboard in her lap and chatted online for a while. She did it for too long, though, and tired herself out. Last night was really bad again, but pain management came this morning and adjusted her meds and she's doing much better.

Today, she sat up again, and took a couple of steps. She was really dizzy, but she did fine. My little one is a tough cookie, stronger than I give her credit for. We showed her the x-rays today and she was really excited. It makes it all worthwhile.

Susanna
                            Susanna
                            ~~~~~~

Comment

hi susanna
                              sorry she had another bad night. Well now that pain management came maybe tonight will be better. How did she do walking?? That was the hardest part with nicole. She would scream. I was so embarrased, but they said they are used to it with the scoli patients, thank goodness when we were the the floor was pretty empty. Everytime p/t would make her sit or walk they would have me leave because she would yell louder when i was around. it was horrible and heartwrenching seeing her scream and cry for me to make them stop making her do it. How are you and your husband holding up? Did you sleep on the chair bed yet??
                              keep posting on what's going on
                              jennifer

Comment

Working...
                              X