Finding a surgeon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LisalisaB2017 View Post
    Linda , I'm concerned about having " fellows" participate in my surgery . Should I express my concerns . I'm scheduled 99/13/2018 Dr Lehman Columbia Spine . Thanks
    Most surgeons want at least one additional surgeon helping out in complex spine cases. If it's not a fellow, it's a resident, a P.A., or a second attending. Even if using 2 attendings is possible (that is, there is someone available), it may be impossible to get your insurance company to pay for that second attending. If you're having your surgery at a teaching institution, it's probably unreasonable to request that no resident or fellow be utilized.

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Spine surgery is genreally a many hour procedure. My surgeries were 8-10 hours each. Having said that, the first hour is getting into the OR, IV preanesthesia, moving you onto the table, inserting urinary catheter, intubation by anesthetist, hook up of neuro monitoring, positioning, application of various antiseptics, then application of drapes. Meanwhile your surgeon is finishing rounds or reviewing your xrays/ records, having coffee, conferencin with the fellows, residents, etc on the surgical plan. In my experience, the fellow "opens" (the incision). On 2 of my anterior surgeries, the general surgeon opened and spent about an hour and half moving all of my organs and blood vessels aside so that the spine surgeon could access the spine. The spine surgeon for my 3rd surgery about 3 hours after I arrived in the OR. The reason that I know all of this is because a PT student was observing the surgery (with my permission) and I gave her a notebook to chronical the happenings of my surgery.
      I remember Irina asking Dr. Hu about what the fellows did during the surgery, having the same concerns that you have, and Dr. Hu ssid, "The fellow wouldn't do anything that I wouldn't do".
      Dr. Hart said that he does "the really critical parts of the procedure" but is present mostly in the OR but occasionally very close by when he needs to eat, use the bathroom, etc.
      Like Lindale said, the surgery takes at least 2 surgeons and frequently a resident, PA, etc are support persons also.
      Hope that this you can understand what I wrote. I had surgery this morning to remove a screw and am typing in my phone laying on my side in the hospital bed having had morphine IV and Hydrocodone early this afternoon, an IV in each arm, vacillating pressure unit on my legs, an uncomfortable catheter in my bladder, and a drain in my back that I just rolled over. I better quit, my cell phone is blurry and I will correct spelling/ grammer tomorrow.
      Titanium minus a screw Susan
      Last edited by susancook; 03-04-2018, 02:09 AM. Reason: Revisions due to postop drugs
      Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
      2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
      2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
      2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
      2018: Removal L4,5 screw
      2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Working...
      X