Scapular curve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scapular curve

Hello folks, can anyone recommend an exercise for pulling the scapula to one side? Mine is curved to the left , looking for exercises to pull it to the right side over a period

Hi. When you say scapula do you mean your thoracic or the actual scapula? If it is the scapula is it winging?
    T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
    C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
    T2--T10 fusion 2/11
    C 4-5 fusion 11/14
    Right scapulectomy 6/15
    Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
    To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
    Broken neck 9/28/2018
    Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
    Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
    Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
    Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
    Osteotomy

Comment

It is fine to PM me but I could not find the X-Ray so please try again. The scapula is a funny thing. It is held in place by a combination of muscles. Each of which is sometimes hard to isolate. Some do come from the spine but the Serratus Anterior muscle that holds the scapula against the ribs is actually on the side down the ribs. I would think a PT could help you isolate the correct muscle to move the scapula in the area you are trying to but I don't know if it will move the spine itself. Since the scapula floats over the ribs it may not effect the spine.
      T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
      C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
      T2--T10 fusion 2/11
      C 4-5 fusion 11/14
      Right scapulectomy 6/15
      Broken neck 9/28/2018
      Osteotomy

Comment

see attached simple but effective stretch......hold to a count of 15 ......5 reps. I would recommend both sides until it feels symmetrical over time.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by scoliosisbro View Post
          Hello folks, can anyone recommend an exercise for pulling the scapula to one side? Mine is curved to the left , looking for exercises to pull it to the right side over a period
          This is a really hard to understand question. What kind of curve do you have? I've been looking for years with someone who has a curve like mine. My rib hump on the left looks like a scapula with my arm pulled forward. Otherwise my scapula is winged from the rib hump. Actually both scapulae are winged because I'm extremely hypokyphotic. Do you have an x-ray posted somewhere?
          Be happy!
          We don't know what tomorrow brings,
          but we are alive today!

Comment

Here is my x-ray https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resi...nt=photo%2cjpg

My physio said that the scapula was towards the left and to do something to pull it to the right, currently I do this exercise using my right hand only which I'm hopeful does just that http://www.bodiempowerment.com/advan...ure-exercises/
            Last edited by scoliosisbro; 05-12-2016, 04:53 PM.

Comment

here is an image of the exercise, i lift the right arm only to try and pull the scaulae in that area towards the right side http://www.bodiempowerment.com/wp-co...p-exercise.jpg

Comment

Hi,
                have you been screened by a chiropractor or?
                Your scoliosis is so mild that it doesn't need any treatment. Quit doing any scoliosis specific excercises because your spine is almost straight as an arrow. How did you get to know about your scoliosis, did you have pain or what?

Comment

Good point.

Did a chiro diagnose you? Chiros are not trained to diagnose anything in anyone. Chiro is not a science.
                  Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                  Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

I thought the spine looked great. I really can't tell about the scapula but it could be winging without scoliosis. A good PT can make an exercise plan if it needs some help.I was told 17 different muscles hold the scapula. It can be any one of those or another muscle that got too strong and pulled it another way. Dr.'s hate scapula problems.
                    T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
                    C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
                    T2--T10 fusion 2/11
                    C 4-5 fusion 11/14
                    Right scapulectomy 6/15
                    Broken neck 9/28/2018
                    Osteotomy

Comment

(also replying to Boogaloo and Pooka1

Originally posted by jackieg412 View Post
                      I thought the spine looked great. I really can't tell about the scapula but it could be winging without scoliosis. A good PT can make an exercise plan if it needs some help.I was told 17 different muscles hold the scapula. It can be any one of those or another muscle that got too strong and pulled it another way. Dr.'s hate scapula problems.
                      My concern about the scoliosis is because some of my ribs stick out too much or are inwards, I thought it was caused by the spine but my doctor (it was the doctor who first viewed it not a chiro) said yesterday the vertebrae where nor Mal so they must have been causing it

Comment

Working...
                      X