Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What kind of pain were you having before you knew you had a broken rod??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What kind of pain were you having before you knew you had a broken rod??

Hi,
    I was just wondering what kind of pain did you experience when you had a broken hardwear? How did the pain progres with each movement? Linda, What % have pain after scoliosis surgery.? I was progressing fine untill 2 months ago... I noticed my pain increasing..I needing more pain meds, I was traveling with a pillow, I was massaging my lower back when I was standing, when I bend or twist slightly I have much pain and sleep is impossible...I talked myself into saying its just some pain from joint swelling but its slowly progressing. I made an appointment for this Friday and I was just thinking of the worst? Could I have a broken rod?

PS...My daughter is getting her scoliosis brace tomorrow.....
    CONNIE

Surgery June 28th 2004
    fused T4 -L3
    Hip graft
    Grown 1 1/2 inches
    25/o upper T 15/o
    53/o T 15/o
    37/o L 6/o
    Dr. Micheal Nuewirth
    New York City

August 6, 2004
    Pulmonary Embolism
    complication from surgery

January 2007 currently
    increasing pain at the T4/5
    point irratation heardwear

Connie...

You could have a broken rod. I think most of us think we've broken a rod some time within the first year post-op. From what I've heard the pain of a non-fusion is pretty localized, sharp pain.

An increase in pain without an increase in activity level is definitely something to watch, but remember that the vast majority of adults have back pain occasionally, so it could just be a minor soft tissue injury. Good luck!

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

broken rod?

Connie: I still got odd pains until a year and half after surgery which Dr. Boachie said were muscular/fascial. Things still wake up a year after surgery and I had temporary increasing pains after new exercises(Pilates) and more strenuous activity(shampooing carpets). You may not have a "broken rod" at all. It is still less than a year for you. I did not use narcotics after 3 months but alternative meds/techniques:TENS,resting, Tylenol Arthritis, massage, myofascial release, exercise and Aleve.
      Painful muscular spasms and tightness lasted a long time.
      Karen
      Last edited by Karen Ocker; 03-09-2005, 09:04 AM.
      Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
      Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Ok..

Well thats good to here..I'm always worring and jumping off too soon..but I have noticed an increase in pain....I'll check it out Friday...hopefully its all muscles.....
        CONNIE

Surgery June 28th 2004
        fused T4 -L3
        Hip graft
        Grown 1 1/2 inches
        25/o upper T 15/o
        53/o T 15/o
        37/o L 6/o
        Dr. Micheal Nuewirth
        New York City

August 6, 2004
        Pulmonary Embolism

January 2007 currently

Comment

Connie,

I hope everything goes okay for you on Friday. Today was a bad day for me. By 2 pm I had already taken 2 doses of half of my pain meds and 1/2 of a muscle relaxer. Also everything feels swollen again today. I haven't done anything different from other days. Most days I don't even take Tylenol. It's strange how things crop up like this. I see the doctor the following Friday from when you go. I'll let you know what we are going to do next.
          Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
          Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
          Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
          Fused T2 to sacrum
          June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
          MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

other stuff

Hi ,
            I found out what was making me so sick for the past 6 weeks....I have mycroplasma pnemonia...or walking pnemonia..I ahve been on antibotics for 2 months and will continue to be on it...Maybe my severe back pain can be from a medical stemetic veiw instead of orthopedic....Mycoplasma can cause muscle and joint pain...I have joint pain in my elbow and knees and hips....so there are joints in the back...could that be causing all the constant pain???It came upon during the same time...I just can't believe how painful my back became...well, I'll still check it out with the surgeon on Friday for peace of mind and i'm takeing a chest xray 2morrow...my health is a saga..lol...
            CONNIE

Surgery June 28th 2004
            fused T4 -L3
            Hip graft
            Grown 1 1/2 inches
            25/o upper T 15/o
            53/o T 15/o
            37/o L 6/o
            Dr. Micheal Nuewirth
            New York City

August 6, 2004
            Pulmonary Embolism

January 2007 currently

Comment

Broken rods

Hi,
              I had surgery April 16, 2004. It has been a long recovery, and then about 1 1/2 months ago the pain got worse. Would just be stabbing to the point I couldn't walk when I first got up. I have harrington rods 18 inch fused from the T4-S1. Lived in Kentucky have moved to Montana. So have a different Dr. Finally went to see Him took X-rays and both Rods have broken at about the L1 level. Of course they say they can't do anything not quilified for something this involved. Anyway, I can't imagen going through surgery. Any alternatives out their people know of???? Looking for ideas. The fusion is comparmised at the level also.

Comment

Sorry, Just thinking out loud, were they still using Harrington Rods in the US as late as 2004?

Comment

Hi...

Hopefully Patti used the term "Harrington rods" in the generic form. Although Harrington rods are still available, just about every doctor in the U.S. stopped using them a long time ago. (However, I understand that Harrington rods are still used in some unusual situations.)

Patti, you need to find a surgeon who has experience treating people with prior scoliosis fusions. I seriously doubt that anything other than re-fusing the broken level(s) will have any positive affect on your pain. Is there any chance you can travel to see a doctor?

Regards,
                  Linda
                  Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                  ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                  Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Working...
                  X