Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone over 60 applied for SS Disability???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone over 60 applied for SS Disability???

I'm headed for a revision surgery this Fall and wondered if any of you over 60 years old have applied for Social Security Disability??? I've worked all my life, sometimes two and three jobs at a time....and have never even collected unemployment before. I have no idea how this works?? Or if it's even feasible?? Advice??

I did apply for disability and did get it. When I went to the office I never intended to apply for disability, I only wanted to know my options. I did get it and early Medicare because I was going to lose my insurance. I had to w for Medicare for 2 years but I did get it. I would say to wait until the revision because they look at recent medical treatment. I was able to get it without an attorney but some people need the legal help..It seems possible because of being close to retirement age.
    T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
    C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
    T2--T10 fusion 2/11
    C 4-5 fusion 11/14
    Right scapulectomy 6/15
    Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
    To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
    Broken neck 9/28/2018
    Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
    Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
    Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
    Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
    Osteotomy

Comment

Thank you, Jackie! I would really rather go back to work, but I'm afraid it might not be possible. I'll be 60 years, 8 months at the time of the revision surgery. Are you near that age, too?

Comment

Your state will cover you for temporary disability during the time you're off of work to have your surgery and recovery.
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Linda is right you can go on temporary disability. I was 62 when I applied. I had never intended to go on disability but I needed to have medical insurance. It was really complicated because I had a workers compensation case at the time. So I didn't get disability payments but qualified for Medicare early and I needed that. I had just had revision surgery and didn't have a problem applying. It was the worker at the social security office that encouraged me to try.
          T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
          C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
          T2--T10 fusion 2/11
          C 4-5 fusion 11/14
          Right scapulectomy 6/15
          Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
          To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
          Broken neck 9/28/2018
          Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
          Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
          Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
          Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
          Osteotomy

Comment

Not all states have disability insurance

Some states have state-run SDI programs, like CA, but many others such as Oregon do not. I am from CA and now live in Oregon. I assumed all states had SDI but was shocked to find out they don't. It's definitely something to look into. I had to go back to work sooner than I might have (at 14 weeks after original surgery) due to financial concerns. It wasn't fun, that's for sure.

I did return to work on mostly seated duty at 12 weeks after both of my major revisions for broken rods and did pretty well. Mentally I was bored at home and needed something more to do!
            Last edited by leahdragonfly; 01-18-2016, 09:17 PM.
            Gayle, age 50
            Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
            Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
            Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
            2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
            2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Good to know Gayle. I didn't have a clue. Thanks.
              Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
              Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Working...
              X