17 Year Old with Scoliosis Lacks Breast Development

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 17 Year Old with Scoliosis Lacks Breast Development

My daughter had scoliosis surgery at age 13 for a 45 degree curve. She had a tethering and staple procedure at Shriner's in Philadelphia. Her curvature is now less than 8 degrees and the surgery was a success.

She is turning 17 this week and has not gone thorough typical breast development. Her bra size is less than double AA. This is causing an incredible amount of social anxiety. I brought her to a pediatric endocrinologist last year who tested her hormones and said everything is fine. She has her period and hair under her arm so there was nothing they could do.

Has anyone else noticed that scoliosis may affect breast size? Can you recommend any treatment? I am desperate to find help. After everything we've been through, I realize this doesn't seem like a big issue. But at 17 years old, it is causing a great deal of anxiety and depression.

Hi...

While scoliosis often causes breast asymmetry, I can't remember ever reading anything that correlates scoliosis to lack of breast development (though the BMI in the "typical" teenage girl with scoliosis is significantly lower than the BMI in teenage girls with normal spines).

I'm sorry that your daughter is going through this. I can imagine how insecure it makes her. Hopefully, she'll eventually develop. My half-sister and I were of similar size when we were young teenagers. I had normal breast development and she was essentially flat. It was, of course, the one thing I teased her about. Now, 50+ years later, she's a very petite woman with a cute figure, and.... I'm not. I'd trade bodies with her in a heartbeat.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Do you think that she inherited the smaller breasted side of the family? What is your bra size and the bra sizes of her grandmothers?
      I ask this because I am a 38 C and my sister is a 34 A. My mom was a 32 AA.
      Susan
      Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
      2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
      2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
      2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
      2018: Removal L4,5 screw
      2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

Working...
      X